Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Viewing iPlayer overseas
  • Marmoset
    Free Member

Oh great masses of STW, how do I fool the BBC into thinking I’m in the UK so that I can view iPlayer and the web content when I emigrate???

Cheers

Rich

Schweiz
    Free Member

expatshield

creamegg
    Free Member

i think you need to connect to a proxy server. how to do that is too technical for me tho. i’d be grateful for an idiots guide too if anyone knows how. thanks

Mikeypies
    Free Member

Why? embrace your new adopted home and cut the stings.

Marmoset
    Free Member

Need to access the BBC F1 coverage more than anything else…… :mrgreen:

mrsgrips
    Free Member

Mol set something up for us here in Germany… some sort of hack that costs us a few quid a month I think… He’ll be around soon and I’ll email to point him in your direction.

molgrips
    Free Member

Why? embrace your new adopted home and cut the stings.

No need. There are many good things about many countries, but one good thing about the UK is its TV (believe it or not). Doesn’t mean you can’t still watch the local TV.. given years of intensive language training of course 🙂

Proxy servers don’t work that well by the way – many services have stopped you using them. The best solution is to pay for a VPN service. We paid £60 for a year’s access to a service that lets you pretend to be from loads of different countries including US ones, so you can watch Netflix, Hulu and all sorts.

However I’ve forgotten its name.. I’ll have to have a think about that..!

uplink
    Free Member

PureVPN is all you need, I’ve been using it for a couple of years now without any issues at all
    Not just UK but they have proxy server all over so you can watch US stuff etc. too

andytherocketeer

the free/naughty way (fiddly, and slow, but the video bit is p2p so normal speed once it’s going)…

1. install tor
    2. frig tor setting to use only UK exit proxies
    3. install foxyproxy in firefox
    4. frig foxyproxy to use tor for iplayer, etc., but no proxies for anything else

optionally, use 1 browser normally with no proxies, and a 2nd browser configured to use tor proxies. remember to do all your online banking etc. with the right one 😉

PS that also works for all the youtube vids with Sony/BMG/Warner/etc. “music” that you won’t be able to view (aka about half that get posted here).

It’s really really slow, and you’ll often need to hit refresh, but eventually it works.

DrJ

Been satisfied with myexpatnet.

Marmoset
    Free Member

Thanks guys, plenty to look into there…

ben
    Free Member

Expatshield is free and works fine for iPlayer so far for us. Just block the adverts it attempts to add to your webpages with Adblock plus (free add-on if you’re using firefox).

Cheers
    B

Hairychested
    Free Member

And is there anything for the non-Windows non-Apple individuals? Ubuntu here 😉

zokes
    Free Member

I used YourFreedom here in Oz when the 6 nations was on. Bit expensive at $30ish per month for the unlimited version, but almost always worked fast enough to stream HD.

Pity, if the numbskulls at the beeb et al. got their fingers out and moved into the 21st century, I’d happily pay at least my TV license fee to them to be able to get iPlayer down here. Instead, I pay more than that to a third party who puts nothing back to the people who produce the programmes. It’s quite a ludicrous situation really.

uplink
    Free Member

Pity, if the numbskulls at the beeb et al. got their fingers out and moved into the 21st century, I’d happily pay at least my TV license fee to them to be able to get iPlayer down here. Instead

I think you may find the issue is with territorial licencing and you’ll be in for a long wait, there’s nothing the BBC can do about it, it’ll be the Oz broadcasters that have the issue with the beeb allowing viewing there

higgo
    Free Member

And is there anything for the non-Windows non-Apple individuals?

Can I suggest a hair shirt and a poke in the eye?

Hairychested
    Free Member

@higgo, I’m married to an ex-SF copper’s daughter, been “loved” worse 😉

uplink
    Free Member

And is there anything for the non-Windows non-Apple individuals? Ubuntu here

It’s just VPN, any of them should work OK

http://www.purevpn.com/config/linux/index.php

molgrips
    Free Member

Witopia is the one I used (remembered it!) and it uses OpenVPN which is about as linuxy geeky as it gets.

andytherocketeer

Ubuntu here too. My hack was done entirely in Ubuntu. Just upgraded over the weekend, so will have to re-install that tonight. Tor is in the repo iirc, and I’m sure I kept a backup of the config.

zokes
    Free Member

I think you may find the issue is with territorial licencing and you’ll be in for a long wait, there’s nothing the BBC can do about it, it’ll be the Oz broadcasters that have the issue with the beeb allowing viewing there

This may well be true, but the net result is still the same. Instead of money going back to the programme makers, it goes towards some third party and benefits noone

uplink
    Free Member

This may well be true, but the net result is still the same. Instead of money going back to the programme makers, it goes towards some third party and benefits noone

No it doesn’t – ESPN have exclusive rights to the 6 nations rugby in Oz [through Foxtel & Austar, I guess], I don’t know what they paid for it but they sure as hell won’t sit back and let the beeb invade their exclusivity, The Six Nations Committee are – similarly – not going to allow the beeb to broadcast it outside of a territory [especially outside Europe] they don’t own the rights for.

I suspect the amount of folks using proxys/VPNs etc. is insignificant in the scheme of things
    The beeb are trying to get international iPlayer going but they’ll need to do deals with broadcasters that already pay them for their broadcasting,
    Take someone like UKTV in Oz, they pay the beeb for output like Eastenders, what’s the worth of that content if viewers can instead go straight to the beeb rather than pay UKTV?
    It’ll be done but it’ll also be limited specifically for each country and maybe even for the EEC only.

Just pay the £50 a year for something like PureVPN and be done with it

jackww
    Free Member

Using iPlayer vpn you will be able to enjoy your favorite TV shows, movies or radio program on BBC, no matter of your current residence. All your traffic will be encrypted, which makes you 100% safe and anonymous.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Viewing iPlayer overseas’ is closed to new replies.