Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Video removed from facebook
  • votchy
    Free Member

I posted a video that I did with my gopro on facebook and it was removed because of copyright infringement (I had added music to it). Can I get round this or do I have to leave the music out?

Spin
    Free Member

Yup. It’s the music. What was it?

allmountainventure
    Free Member

Only real workaround http://freemusicarchive.org/ or one of the other similar resources.

donsimon
    Free Member

What do you do for a living votchy?

votchy
    Free Member

Automotive design and development, why?

donsimon
    Free Member

It’s just that I might want some automotive design done, but obviously, as you understand, I don’t want to pay for it. 😉

aracer
    Free Member

I’ve not had a problem with vids with music on – but then I’ve not used current (or even relatively recent) popular music.

😆 @ ds

Spin
    Free Member

Liking your work Señor Don.

votchy
    Free Member

The music I added was from CD’s that I have bought, thought it was OK to add as just about every video posted has music added, didn’t realise that people were paying royalties for using the music, will refrain in the future

aracer
    Free Member

The music I added was from CD’s that I have bought

and you thought you’d just republish it 🙄

donsimon
    Free Member

😉

Señor Don.

Mejor que utilizas Señor Simón, no?

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

and you thought you’d just republish it

Yea burn the witch.!

maccruiskeen

You bought the cd but you didn’t buy the copyright . ‘Copy’ being the right you don’t have

votchy
    Free Member

So how do people add music to their videos and get away with it? Am genuinely intrigued as even the ones posted in the midweek movies that have been sent in have music added. As said, genuine mistake if I was in the wrong and won’t do it again. Would I be in breach of copyright filming bands at gigs and posting those vids up as many people do on youtube etc?

robbo
    Free Member

YouTube have agreements with some music publishers which allow certain tracks to be used in return for links to iTunes. Others just disable all the audio. I think that’s fair enough. Facebook are still playing catchup…

Northwind

Did you host it on youtube? Or directly on facebook? Uploading to vimeo and linking from there is less likely to lead to issues.

Youtube’s copyright protection system doesn’t work, it’s incredibly overzealous. I made a video using a track from their approved list, they took it down anyway, then ignored their own appeals process so I gave up on them.

The question of copyright infringement’s not a simple one but at the end of the day- you’re not passing off the music as your own, and you’re not disadvantaging the copyright owner. In fact you may be advantaging them, especially if you credit it properly- people may hear the song then investigate the band. The fact that it’s legally copyright infringement isn’t the only question that the copyright holder should be asking but, unfortunately, the system isn’t that subtle.

andytherocketeer

YouTube have agreements with some music publishers which allow certain tracks to be used…

but only in certain countries.

half (or more) of those you see like that are not viewable in Germany for example, because GEMA block entire videos that sound like they might include music (wish they’d just mute the sound, cos 90% of the time the music is pants anyway).

Use Creative Commons music on vids, acknowledge the artist accordingly, and you’ll be fine.

edit: and yep many of the youtube midweek vids I need to watch c/o a UK proxy 🙄 but vimeo is usually fine.

maccruiskeen

Would I be in breach of copyright filming bands at gigs and posting those vids up as many people do on youtube etc?

yes, its harder for youtube to police though as software isn’t going to recogonize the track as it would with a published recording, so someone would need to actively report it to them

donsimon
    Free Member

Would I be in breach of copyright filming bands at gigs and posting those vids up as many people do on youtube etc?

Yes is the short answer, they used to be called bootlegs in my day. It all gets a bit complicated nowadays as the lawyers have seen an opportunity. Recording for fair use is a bone of contention as it is difficult to define fair use. What do you do with a file that you found in Spain that has a different outlook? Where did the offence take place?
    The internet is good and bad, but the audience is big and you don’t know who is watching.
    Best not to use music you have got the rights to use.

zokes
    Free Member

‘Copy’ being the right you don’t have

IIRC it’s actually illegal to copy the CD onto your PC to start with, so I guess we’d better all be locked up 🙄

maccruiskeen

I guess we’d better all be locked up

You first, I’m busy 🙂

zokes
    Free Member

I’m already in Australia! That’s where they put people who carry out minor crimes such as pickpocketing etc isn’t it? For something as bad as copyright infringement I suspect it will be straight to the gallows for all of us….

jonahtonto
    Free Member

find a local band you like, send em an email asking stick their music on and credit them with a link to their website – everyone’s a winner, you get music for your vid and they get some free promotion.
    sod the big record companies and their lawyers, they are killing music

Northwind

I always wonder if Dave Sowerby got proper permission from Band of Horses’ label before using the Funeral in the Inspired video. They don’t seem to mind.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Video removed from facebook’ is closed to new replies.