Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)
  • Video of the new black trail at Grizedale.
  • Euro
    Free Member

Top work guys. Looks like a really fun trail.

More green than black, but that’s not such a bad thing. If you’re building something with the help of volunteers, it’s better to go for something that everyone can ride. It’s hard to get folk motivated to help build if they think what they’re building is beyond them.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Bit tiring reading the few comments complaining about a new track that hasn’t even officially opened yet

Don’t take it seriously – the trail looks fun.

grum
    Free Member

Typical arrogant misplaced whining has started already I see. I had a little look earlier today, its still closed off so i couldnt ride it, but:

It’s a completely different type of trail to Laggan. It’s basically ‘freeride’ oriented so lots of jumps and a few drops, not really any technical rock features. Similar to the more jumpy bits at innerleithen. If you want techy rocks there’s miles of it already in Grizedale so what would be the point of building something similar?

Those saying its too easy, I look forward to seeing videos of you nailing every drop/double/gap and the hip jump. Anyone could mince down most of it slowly, but that’s not really the point.

I think it looks very well done and I look forward to having a go at it. Well done to those involved.

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

I have no problem with folk having an opinion, they’re free to do so. But if you want to have an opinion that’s actually worth a damn, then you’re more than welcolme to come and help build the trails that you want to ride. As mentioned before, there will be a more DH based trail being built right next to this one. If you want more rocks in your trails, then please come along on a Sunday and help move rocks, along with digging drainage ditches, moving barrow loads of gravel uphill, removing tree stumps, shaping berms, building jumps and much more. These are not FC trails, they are volunteer built trails with permission from the FC, there is no money or labour being put into the pot, only that which the volunteers provide.

If you think you can build better, then get in contact with the shop, and you’ll be more than welcome to come and help build something more “gnaar”

It’s been noticed in the past that lots of folk are handy with a keyboard, but not much use with a shovel. Want to prove me wrong… ?

bruneep

I was questioning the grading not the quality or who or how it was built. So who graded that trail?

Reading the FC grades FC grading I still don’t think that it’s a black. Then again maybe I’m used to more ” gnarrrr” than you up here in scotchland. 😉

Cammer
    Free Member

Why worry about the trail grading. Just ride it for what it is and enjoy.

It’s good to have somewhere in the area to improve jumping skills, although there is a notable shortage of rocky black graded gnaar sections in the Lake District 😉

grum
    Free Member

Maybe rather than having people on the ground grading trails they should appoint a panel of Internet ‘experts’ to watch one head cam video and grade the trails that way?

I would personally have graded it ‘orange bike park’ – and it’s much more hardcore than the orange bike park section at Laggan.

Reading the FC grades FC grading I still don’t think that it’s a black. Then again maybe I’m used to more ” gnarrrr” than you up here in scotchland.

Yeah there’s no rocky ‘gnarr’ at all in the lakes.

Dark-Side

This forum is rapidly becoming parody of itself. Well done on the new trail all involved, I look forward to riding it soon as opposed to watching a vid on the Internet and saying it looks crap. #edit I’ll be in touch regarding helping at a future dig day.

Cammer
    Free Member

Rode it today for the first time.

The video really doesn’t do it justice. Great fun, with sections on the vid you wouldn’t notice until you actually ride it.

Quite techy at the top, I actually found the switchbacks through the tress the most difficult part, but all the drop-offs are a good height and you get a big whoosh factor halfway down with a steep descent into a big berm (similar feeling to hully gully at Gisburn)

A lot of downhillers around today on big bikes showing how it’s done, but it’s perfectly ridable on most bikes. I just have to improve my lack of jumping skills!

Mix it in with the bridleways and you have a bit of everything 🙂

samcamsdad

Anyone who thinks this is smooth and boring should step away from the keyboard and get there bikes up here and actually ride the trail. its loose, rooty, steep,and very jumpy. just what grizedale needed. All the riders i spoke to today were really enjoying it. Good mix of riders too, from downhill lads on big bikes to xc lycra blokes on hardtails. Good job done to all involved building the trail. Took the camera up, so pics to follow.

samcamsdad

Here you go. Come and have a go if you think your good enough!

[img]http://ap1.pinkbike.org/p4pb7908546/p4pb7908546.jpg[/img][img]http://ap1.pinkbike.org/p4pb7908497/p4pb7908497.jpg[/img][img]http://ap1.pinkbike.org/p4pb7908590/p4pb7908590.jpg[/img]

doug_basqueMTB.com

I think that looks ace. Like a big bendy-twisty thing. Great that people actually turn up to dig and can get permission to do that sort of thing. If any trail is too easy for you then you’re going too slow 🙂

wors

It does look ace, the people who volunteered should be very proud.

jwt
    Free Member

Its very easy to watch a video of a trail and make bold statements about what it is / isn’t like to ride, the rider in the video rides DH to national standard and makes it look[/u] easy………..
    Fell free to post up your own video showing your skills off on this ‘Blue’ trail.

purser_mark
    Free Member

I thnik the problem here is helmet cams. They dont do any trails the justice they need and quite frankly unless you’re a pro they are pretty boring.

The stills look way better, looks like a fun trail. Much rather watch a vid with someone stood beside the trail gives a much better sense of speed and gradient. Much more difficult to put together I know.

RHSno2
    Free Member

That looks bloody ace!

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

Good photos Sam. The 4th one down makes it look as steep as it is.

I am only speaking on behalf of the main dude who got the ball rolling on this trail, and who really deserves the credit. He had a few choice words to say about some folk on here. Well, I say words, it was just one word. Can you guess what it was ?

It took exactly one year to dig this trail, and the good news is this section is only the bottom bit of the trail. The idea is to start at the fire road where this section begins, and head upwards all the way to Carron Crag. The idea is to make the top bit MUCH more technical with lots more rocky bits. Then it will really test your skills.

I only joined this project right at the end, as I didn’t know about it before hand, but I’m really looking forward to getting stuck into the next bit. I have to say, it really gives you a sense of pride helping to create a new trail. I keep on spotting bits I did. 8)

Hope to meet some of you there on the next dig day.

snakebite
    Free Member

I figured you could drop onto this new section from Carron Crag…. 😳

colp

Looks mint! Big thanks to the trail builders, you’ll never please everyone, I know that too well.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

OK keyboard warriors, I rode this for this last week and to echo a few of the comments above, its a lot steeper than the video suggests. Only had one blind run down it late on Thursday afternoon but it was a fun addition to Grizedale. Rode past it a couple of times during the week and was always someone dressed up like a stormtrooper on it so its obviously getting a fair bit of use. Nice tight twisty bit in the woods at the top with some jumps and a nice big launch halfway down over a blind crest. A few goes sessioning it and it’d be great.

Black or not? Easily on a par with any black trail centre stuff I’ve ridden.

Best news for me though was that there seems to be some work going on with some of the NFT trail. I know its not the greatest trail in the world but for a turn-your-brain-off 1 hour blast around its not too bad if you’re in the area…

Good things going on at Grizedale. Shame about the **** on the enduro bikes hammering down the BW just to the north of the exit of the new DH track. Didn’t get number plates but passed the same group during the morning whilst walking… they were coming through one of the villages between Grizedale and Ulverston area.

samcamsdad

Rode the black for the first time today. And its great fun. Cant wait to go back and have another go. Could have easily spent the whole day just playing on this one trail.

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Rode it today when we linked it up with the other bridalways in the Forrest. Very impressed with it. At the top where it splits in two is good ( nice tight switchbacks) Then it opens up to some nice little tabletops, doubles and berms. All are rollable of you want to or you can get some air if that’s your thing. May need a bit more Bedding down but I would think the more bikes go on it, the better it will get. All in all hats off to the ( volunteer ) trail builders.

Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘Video of the new black trail at Grizedale.’ is closed to new replies.