Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Video Camera recommendations?
  • Riksbar

Looking at buying a video camera for use for family holidays. Don’t think I’ll get away with the helmet cam type but don’t know much about what I’m looking for on standard cameras. Probably looking at either Canon as I have their DSLRs or Sony to match TV/Blueray etc.

What does anybody else have? anything I should be looking at?

grum
    Free Member

You could just get a Canon DSLR with video, though there are certain limitations, the raw video quality can be stunning. Lack of proper AF is the main drawback though.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Or… (another not-a-video-camera) the Sony Nex3 is stupidly cheap at play.com.

grum
    Free Member

Presumably that has usable AF in video mode also?

5thElefant
    Free Member

Yes, contrast detect AF.

Did I mention they were cheap? Factory refurb Nex-3s with 18-55 lens for £292

Riksbar

Love the idea of the DSLR but looking for something simpler to use. Looking to spend around £250. Not sure on the lens quality and mic quality on the compact camera type systems.

philconsequence
    Free Member

bumping the thread as interested in HD camcorder other than a helmet camera too 🙂

momo

I’ve got a Sony HDR-CX115 and really like it, full 1080p, sound quality is very good and remarkably easy to use. I haven’t used it much recently as I bought a Lumix tz-10 before Christmas and tend to take that with me now for convenience, if it’s just for video though the Sony is much better it’s nicer to handle and has a better zoom and faster autofocus. When I bought the Sony I also looked at a panasonic camcorder which I actually preferred but my ex found that the panasonic was too bulky to be comfortable for her to use, so might be something to consider if your family will also be using it.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Video Camera recommendations?’ is closed to new replies.