• This topic has 18 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by z1ppy.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • (vet) cat food
  • z1ppy

Anyone know where I can get “renal” cat food @ a reasonable price?

Got two elderly cats we need to move to onto it, but it’s a bit of shock moving from £13 for 24 tins (9.5kg) of felix, to £10 for 1kg of pouches 😯 (there tins are no cheaper)
    Obviously we’ve going to do it, but am looking for the most cost effective way to do it.

jam-bo

but am looking for the most cost effective way to do it.

put the cat down. 😉

z1ppy

The cost of loosing two family members, is way more than any monetary value can equal.
    There old and haven’t got lots of time left, so want to make them as comfortable as possible.

EDIT: Bugger wrong forum!

z1ppy

Cheer to the Mods.. so, anyone?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

You could probably google the name on the tin and it will show up but it’s also part of the overall pricing structure, if they don’t sell the food then the prices go up elsewhere.
    https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Feline+Kd+Renal+Health&oq=Feline+Kd+Renal+Health&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i60j69i61.516j0j1&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8#q=Feline+Kd+Renal+Health&tbm=shop

z1ppy

Hmm yeah I’ve been googling “Royal canin feline renal” but don’t believe I need to use that brand, but still not coming across any ‘cheaper’ option. Those deals aren’t always obvious to google searches though, hense my post.
    Though that Hill stuff is abit cheaper, might be a worthwhile option.

andyl
    Free Member

Our cat has Pro Plan Optirenal sterilised salmon. Not because of age but due to a history of blocking and sterilised as he is and thus not the trimmest cat so the low fat sterilised option.

We either use google shopping to find a cheap online stockist or get it on offer from Pets at Home. They might have discontinued that one though as last time we bought 2 bags that were reduced and stickered up as discontinued. Some of the bags were out of date or about to be so we bought the two with best life for about £11 each. Normal price is about £21-22 for 3kg but can normally be found for around £14-15.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Have a look on Zooplus, usually pretty good.

bruk

You are right it doesn’t have to be Royal Canin Renal. There are other suitable diets like Hill’s K/D as well.

As with everything else it can probably be bought cheapest off the internet.

Lots of other diets claim to be for renal protection etc but always check the protein, phosphorus and sodium levels in comparison with the Royal Canin or Hill’s diet before buying any.

Are they on any other meds or supplements?

grtdkad
    Free Member

We’re in a similar position but with a young (3yr old) cat.

Prescribed ‘renal stress’ pouches at £8 for 12x100g (not available any cheaper on the web afaik) but vet also recommended an additive for regular food so we mix the diet up a bit. The additive is called Furinaid and cost about £20 but lasts months …

Suggest asking your vet.

z1ppy

Cheers all, this isn’t going away so will investigate further, but luckily there’s no extra meds (surprisingly). Will ask about the additive.

jota180
    Free Member

Try Viovet
    http://www.viovet.co.uk/cats

We got a good price for Royal Canin for our dog when we needed it, he was a German Shepherd so went through a lot

fozzie
    Free Member

Also look for “Hills Feline K/D” for renal, my 15 and 20 year old cats are doing fine on it (and they still have all their teeth, probably due to dry “Feline T/D”).

Rio

One of ours wouldn’t eat the pouches of renal food so he was on Royal Canin renal dry, which is not too expensive if you buy it in 4kg bags. Vet uk have their own cheaper version – http://www.vetuk.co.uk/vetuk-veterinary-diets-vetuk-renal-c-1030_2039_2044/vetuk-veterinary-diets-feline-renal-health-2kg-p-20276 which we haven’t tried but claims to be similar.

dan1980
    Free Member

As an alternative, had you considered a raw food (Barf) diet?

It could work out cheaper if cost in general is an issue.

Either way,I’d avoid dry food, cats fed on dry food are generally dehydrated (Cats have a reduced thirst reflex), and that’s the last thing your want if it has kidney problems.

z1ppy

I really wondered if you were taking the michael, but no apparently raw food (barf) is a thing, never heard of it previously… interesting, but I think we’ll just stick with the commercial stuff thanks.
    Again, thanks all for the extra suggestions

piesoup
    Free Member

+1 for Zooplus

z1ppy

Well after a brain ache trying to sort out prices (zooplus/Viovets/MedicAnimal/Petsmeds/Pets@ Home & Amazon), the dry Hills K/D is better value than the Royal Canin stuff, but the wet feed prices are much of a muchness
    Gunna get some Hills K/D food for them to try I think & ask the vet about that supplement

Thanks for your help & advise

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘(vet) cat food’ is closed to new replies.