Viewing 30 posts - 41 through 70 (of 70 total)
  • VENT
  • Ro5ey
    Free Member

See that building that goes over Lower Thames Street, I’m on the third foor.

Bring it up and I’ll change it for you

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Ro5ey – Member

See that building that goes over Lower Thames Street, I’m on the third foor.

I waved.

oldgit
    Free Member

Is it just me then that changes both at the same time, always?

Worn chain, worn cassette no slippy slippy.

New chain, worn cassette slippy slippy long time.

jon1973
    Free Member

This is what happens when well-meaning hippies collide with the brutish forces of time-poor, cash-rich capitalism.

Bring back National Service. That’ll learn ’em.

molgrips
    Free Member

There’s nothing wrong with the sprocket, it just needs a new chain. If it was slipping, I wouldn’t be riding the damn thing, would I?

It doesn’t have to slip to mean the sprocket needs changing.

Old chain + old sprocket = no slip
    New chain + old sprocket = lots of slip. At least, that’s how it works with cassettes, never had a SS.

If you change a chain really early, ime before it reaches the recommended wear limit, you can preserve the cassette for years, but you get through a lot of chains. Which means that it is almost certainly more economical to keep the same chain and cassette even when they are both worn. They will continue to work in a worn state for a very long time.

DezB
    Free Member

Argh, i told him to edit that!

nealglover
    Free Member

Argh, i told him to edit that!

Did he interrupt you half way through telling him, and then walk off tutting ?

Cougar

Too busy to change a chain? Christ man, what are you doing? It takes longer to buy one than to change it, unless you’re allergic to Powerlinks.

Does “time poor” mean “bone idle”?

Pigface
    Free Member

This has made it to Facebook 😉 good to know the spirits of those departed are still in contact 😆

Northwind

MartynS – Member

How long before we all realise in the time it’s taken to argue about this on the Internet the chain could have been changed…

It could have been done in less time than the original argument! “Time poor” seems synonymous with “I waste all my time then blame other people”.

brakes
    Free Member

right you utter bunch of retarded shitbats.
    EVERYONE knows that you ROTATE a number of chains so that you don’t have to change the sprocket each time you change the chain.
    IDIOTS!

Pigface
    Free Member

retarded shitbats

I say that’s a bit strong 😆

kimbers

I have dredlocks

I think you’d have set off my fascist bully boy alarm and figured that anyone lazy enough to ask someone to fit a chain was worth winding up

hora
    Free Member

Glad I dont work in a bikeshop.

Why couldnt you fit the chain?!!

I carry a splitter everywhere when on a bike.

Kryton57

If it wasn’t slipping, why did you want to change it?

Seems to me you wanted to demonstrate capitalism to the hippies by buying a chain just because you can – and then got in a tiz because they totally owned you technically speaking.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Pigface – Member

This has made it to Facebook good to know the spirits of those departed are still in contact

Well, we have to open the door and throw out a bit of red meat now and again, or he’d starve. 🙂

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Seems to me you wanted to demonstrate capitalism to the hippies by buying a chain just because you can

Crikey.

Actually, I just wanted to get a chain fitted.

But Johnny was right – never trust a hippy.

DezB
    Free Member

This has made it to Facebook

What does that mean? Who sees it and how?

Rorschach
    Free Member

Well, we have to open the door and throw out a bit of red meat now and again, or he’d starve.

Ahh ,the days.

I used to spanner in a rather busy trailhead workshop.We used to get one pretty much every weekend.Every now and again I’d just relent simply so they could come back an hour later and shout at me for ‘ruining their ride because I did’nt set the gears up properly’.
    I now have a genuine hatred of all people.

Kryton57

i now have a genuine hatred of all people.

Well that almost justify’s all the content you posted tonight.

piemonster

never trust a hippy.

Especially capitalist hippies

piemonster

This has made it to Facebook

That page is very odd, just appears to be a bitter individual ranting and whining.

Kryton57

STW is very odd, just appears to be bitter individuals ranting and whining.

FTFY.

aracer
    Free Member

If you change a chain really early, ime before it reaches the recommended wear limit, you can preserve the cassette for years, but you get through a lot of chains. Which means that it is almost certainly more economical to keep the same chain and cassette even when they are both worn.

Not so. If you change the chain when it’s 0.5% worn (ie it’s 0.5% longer than it was – I measure 12 links and 0.5% is 1/16″) then you don’t have to change the cassette – a new chain works fine on the old cassette. The recommended wear limit is 1%, so you only get through twice as many chains this way. When an XT cassette is £40 and a chain £15 that seems to make economic sense to me.

But hold on. You don’t actually get through twice as many chains. When a chain is 0.5% worn you’ve already worn through the hardened outer coating, and wear is rapid beyond that point. In reality I reckon you only get through 50% more chains at most, possibly as little as 30% more.

Of course if you use different parts then the economics may be different – but a Deore cassette is £18 and a PC951 chain £10, so I still reckon that holds. It certainly holds if you like to use XTR cassettes, even if you also run expensive hollow pin chains.

piemonster

Kryton57 – Member
    STW is very odd, just appears to be bitter individuals ranting and whining.
    FTFY.

Pot, kettle and all that!

Regardless you earned a 😆

molgrips
    Free Member

aracer, your calculations are fine, but the point is that once it’s got to 1% and lunched the cassette, it will continue to work for ages. People are riding around on cassette/chain combos that are a year old easily. It’s a noisy mess at this point, it may be inefficient (not sure) but it’s not really at any greater risk of breaking so why not? It doesn’t do your chainrings any favours though.

I don’t measure chain wear, I look at the chain going over the cassette. A new chain binds on all the teeth as it goes round, as it starts to wear it binds on fewer. I like to change when it gets down to about 4 teeth before you can see a gap.

I once bought a bike that had a ti XTR cassette, that’s when I started to really keep an eye on the chain. The cassette lasted 18 months of lots of riding, and still wasn’t slipping when I changed it. It just got really noisy and rough after one change.

aracer
    Free Member

so why not?

because:

It doesn’t do your chainrings any favours

also the shifting starts getting less precise.

I suppose it depends how much you value your drivetrain working really well. If you’re not all that bothered about that on your £2000 bike then I guess you’re right that it makes better economic sense to run the whole lot into the ground.

molgrips
    Free Member

Chainrings seem to go on a long time on knackered chains. I’ve seen people with 2 year old never changed drivetrains that pretty much work.

Now, I have mechanical sympathy and I like my bike to work perfectly, so I keep it in good order. But if you’re hard up you probably don’t want to spend £50 or £100 on a £500 bike that basically works anyway.

konabunny
    Free Member

2 year old drivetrains? Decade-old!

FuzzyWuzzy

I generally just run both into the ground, although on the road bike I end up needing to change front rings more often as a result (doesn’t seem to affect the MTB as much for some reason).

Viewing 30 posts - 41 through 70 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘VENT’ is closed to new replies.