• This topic has 19 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by gerti.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • VeggieCurrySTW recipe help – keep your aubergines to yourself.
  • gerti
    Free Member

Looking for a decent veggie curry recipe, any past attempts have always been watery and lacking in flavour. Anybody got a really great recipe which is super tasty and not watery muck. I proper HATE aubergines, so keep those to yourself. Please 😀

onewheelgood

1 large onion, chopped
    2 cloves garlic, v. finely chopped
    thumb sized piece of ginger, finely chopped
    1 large potato, cut into 2cm cubes
    Half a cauliflower, cut into bite-sized pieces
    1 tin chopped tomatoes
    140g dry red lentils
    1 teaspoon cumin seeds
    1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
    Sunflower or rapeseed oil
    1 tablespoon Tikka (or Medium) curry powder
    1 tablespoon Madras (or Hot) curry powder

Use a large pan, with enough oil to cover the bottom
    put the cumin and mustard seeds and cook until they are browning
    add onions and fry until soft
    add the ginger and garlic and 2 tablespoons of water, cook another 3 minutes
    add the tomatoes, spices and lentils, cook 5 minutes
    add the cauliflower and potato and enough water so that they are just covered.
    Simmer, stirring occasionally, until the potato is cooked – everything else will be as well.
    Eat with basmati rice or naan.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

I have the ’50 Curries’ book and rate it highly. In it you will find this recipe:

cauliflower and potato curry

It’s worth the effort, blimmin delicious.

Edit: ^^ 😆 thats 2 cauli and potato curries sorted. Usefully they are both appreciably different. I do love caulifower and coconut together – it’s a big-hitting vegan option, especially if you (in the recipe I linked) instead take the time to first roast the cauli, maybe with caraway seeds, mustard seeds, and a little sea salt. Toss in oil and roast until browning edges but still firm, before adding to the sauce to finish off.

PS the tamarind is essential, err on generous side. I buy one of those little squeezey pouches with recloseable cap. Lasts forever in fridge.

rene59
    Free Member

This is pretty tasty if it passes your definition of a curry and simple to make as well.

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/spinach-sweet-potato-lentil-dhal

Smudger666

The curry secret

Used this for years – make the basic base and the rest is easy.

slowster
    Free Member

Have a look at Meera Sodha’s vegetarian recipes from ‘Fresh India’, e.g. matar paneer here and on her website (both vegetarian and otherwise).

gerti
    Free Member

Wow! You guys never disappoint with a recipe recommendation, loadsa stuff to read and try there, thank you! I will report back on the results 🙂

mogrim

This is a great book for vegetarian Indian food, not just curries though:

Easy curry:
    Dry roast a tablespoon of cumin seeds until they darken. Add a a tablespoon or two of oil and a finely chopped onion. Fry gently until soft, about 10 minutes. Add 5 cloves sliced garlic, an inch or two of grated fresh ginger, and two or three fresh, sliced chillies. Fry for another minute. Add a can of tomatoes, half a teaspoon of turmeric and a teaspoon of ground corriander, simmer for 20min or so. Add a drained and rinsed can of cooked chickpeas and heat for a couple of minutes. Stir in a pot of (unsugared) Greek yoghourt. Salt to taste. Add chopped fresh coriander before serving.

nedrapier

Might not be quite what you’re after as a main curry, but this is a really tasty dahl soup: Great to come home to after a cold ride!

clicky bigger:
    http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4633/27715379129_f68f8816d2_o.jpg

ransos
    Free Member

I don’t have a recipe to hand, but I always like to use a squash (you can mash up a few pieces to thicken the sauce) and make sure you toast spices and grind them yourself.

aP
    Free Member

My go to curry recipes are from Anjum Annand’s books. Some of the meat and fish curries can be adapted to work with big chunky veg if you fancy experimenting. I find them deeper in flavour than Meera Sodha’s which seem (to me) to lack a little bit.

rajboab
    Free Member

After years of trying various recipes for curries and dhals I’ve recently been trying the spice mixes from curryfrenzy.com.

Found you can get some pretty tasty results from their mixes. Also used The Spicery before, with top results.

Stuart

brassneck

That BBC Good Food one is great, been using that for a while with a few variants. There was a chick pea and spinach one there too that was lovely.

nerd
    Free Member

To thicken a curry you can blitz an onion in the food processor and use that.
    Or use lentils / yellow split peas (dhal).
    Or use ground almonds, especially if it’s a goan style coconut milk curry.

paulx
    Free Member

My goto Veggie Indian food book is:

Classic Indian Vegetarian Cookery by Julie Sahni

”The book begins with a simple explanation of all the ingredients and techniques characteristic of this cuisine. Julie also describes every classical blend of curry in the Indian tradition.”

Excellent reading

BigJohn

Tesco green Thai curry paste makes a favourite of ours. Fried onions mushrooms peppers, add blanched cauliflower and sweet potato and plenty of coconut milk.
    We usually have it with pork chops.

sweepy
    Free Member

I have found veg curry can be a bit watery as well, esp cauli. Just like Bigjohn above I use sweet potato and it really gives it a bit of body.

nedrapier

I was on Charlie Bikemonger’s site earlier today and spotted the “WeedMonger” link.

Intrigued, as he knew I would be, I clicked on it.

Seaweed. Thickens sauces and adds an “umami” flavour. Might be worth trying?

muttley109
    Free Member

This recipe from Rick Stein has turned out to be one of my favourites. For months I skimmed straight past it without paying any attention to it.It sounds pretty boring but the flavour is amazing!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/dry_curry_of_cabbage_71527

Either have it with rice, naan, mango chutney or serve it instead of rice along side a saucier curry

gerti
    Free Member

More excellent recommendations and tips there, cheers!

Sooooo, we had our first Veggie Curry Banquet tonight, featuring Malvern Riders Cauli and Potato Curry and Rene59s Sweet pot and spinach dahl. It was blinkin’ yummy!

Alongside, some Saag Aloo, onion bhaji’s, Veg Pakoras, Coconut Rice and Riata (probably none of this is spelt correctly).

This prob won’t work, but I took a photo.

https://lesleyarcher.smugmug.com/VeggieCurryBanquet-1/i-784nqMt

Thanks all, I will revisit this thread and use some of the rest of the suggestions in the future, onewheelgood and nedrapier, you’re next.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘VeggieCurrySTW recipe help – keep your aubergines to yourself.’ is closed to new replies.