• This topic has 25 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by hora.
Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • veggie cookbook recommendations
  • hora
    Free Member

Across a wide range including different culturies if possible?

aP
    Free Member

Plenty – ottolenghi
    The Gate vege cookbook
    Cranks
    Carluccio vegetables (just omit the meat)

Karinofnine

The Food for Thought Cookbook

http://foodforthought-london.co.uk/CookBook.aspx

timbur
    Free Member

Food from the place below.
    http://www.theplacebelow.co.uk/Bill-P-cookbooks.htm

Just excellent!

Junkyard
    Free Member

Rose Elliot is the veggie bible – might not suit you as no pictures 😉
    I have some you can have borrow long term if you just want to look /get ideas

rj
    Free Member

Cafe Paradiso
    The Reluctant Vegetarian
    Delias veggie one is surprisingly alright.

hora
    Free Member

Junkyard,your on. Keep em coming 🙂

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

laurel’s kitchen is very good -gives loads of good ecipes and there is a lot of nutritional information

instanthit
    Free Member

Cranks is pretty good as already mentioned, they also do a book for entertaining which has different options. Good cookery books often have veggie sections anyway. Indian cookbooks are great for veggie options. Also BBC website has some great recipes.

Spaceman
    Free Member

Leiths Vegetarian Bible is excellent, can’t praise it enough, I’ve no made a bad recipe from it yet. I’ve been veggie for nearly 20 years and it’s by far the best book I’ve found. By a mile.

Moosewood restaurant Low Fat Favourites is a good one with loads of healthy alternatives. Some mibby a bit too healthy! They use a lot of dill in their recipes which I’m not a fan of, but if it appears I just reduce the quantity and it’s a pretty good, especially for something a bit different.

Madhur Jaffrey’s World Vegetarian is quite good too. Not all curries either, not by a long shot. I made one minging recipe from it for an Ethiopian lentil salad that would gie you the boak, and put it away for a while. It wasn’t till I had the same dish in a top Ethiopian restaurant in Washington DC that I realised it wasn’t the book’s fault, the dish is just truely horrible! Curries in it are obviously excellent.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Food for Thought

(also a veggie restaurant in Covent Garden)

Harry_the_Spider

Got Plenty by Yotam Ottolenghi for Christmas. Only done one out of it so far but it was pretty good.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Don’t buy Jamie Oliver’s 30 minute cook book as according to media reports people are claiming the meals take more like 60-90 minutes! brilliant the fat tongued git’s EPIC fail!!

prettygreenparrot

Vegan health plan by amanda sweet
    The flavor of california by Marlena Spieler
    the accidental vegetarian by simon rimmer
    +1 for Madhur jaffrey’s book

chakaping
    Free Member

Delia Vegetarian is pretty good, gets used a lot anyway and that’s the real test.

Not used it so much since I fell off the (meat) wagon though. Haha.

KT1973
    Free Member

Do you like middle eastern food? Try this Lebanese website (hyperlink not working) http://www.lebaneserecipes.com/Falafel.htm

xherbivorex
    Free Member

late contribution i know, but for a fairly wide cultural/national variety of dishes i find this book hard to beat:

i have better cookbooks than that one overall (anything by isa chandra moskowitz, for example!) but they tend to be less diverse, cuisine-wise (and also 100% vegan, which may put you off).

joemarshall
    Free Member

Julie Sahni Indian Vegetarian is the Indian basics book in our house. I think it is less hit and miss than Madhur Jaffrey at least for someone like me who isn’t the most skilled at interpreting recipes. No pictures though if that matters.

swiss01
    Free Member

the veganomicon. accept no substitute.

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

Once or twice week we reach for Green’s.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

swiss01 – Member

the veganomicon. accept no substitute.

that is my favourite one for making stuff to impress mates/my gf, but it’s probably not that useful for what hora wants.

swiss01
    Free Member

if i was to level a criticism at the veganomicon it’d be that it’s a bit americocentric in its emphasis. other than i find it full of top tips and a wealth of recipes. we’ll be using it big time for the post festive detox.

iamtheresurrection

Leiths Vegetarian Bible, as above… It’s a great book.

hora
    Free Member

Sick of flesh. The quality of it, the piss-burns on Chickens knuckles (see this alot) and the lack of firmness on whole chicken breasts.

Lamb and other meat- I’ve noticed a drop in quality of the cuts.

Just delusioned with meat full stop.

ourmaninthenorth

You need to eat better quality meat (plenty is available) and eat it less often.

hora
    Free Member

Where from? All the main Supermarkets are injecting their meat and offering lesser quality/sizes. Waitrose is too far anyway.

I never eat much meat as it is. I even eat veggie curries as I prefer them. Its just pushing me closer to what I know is right.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘veggie cookbook recommendations’ is closed to new replies.