Viewing 13 posts - 201 through 213 (of 213 total)
  • vegetarian – why?
  • seosamh77
    Free Member

Nope, Omnivore here. We are top of the food chain. So as far as i’m concerned, everything on earth is there for us to eat should it take our fancy! 🙂 Though it is good that we have a plentiful supply of food that allows people to make choices.

Shak47

17 years a veggie, dont miss meat in the slightest, each to their own, used to enjoy meat prior to going veg for health reasons. After all this time though the thought of eating meat actually repels me, I almost boaked stirring mince for my mother a year or so ago,it felt like I was stirring a carcass.
    I was actually shocked by my reaction as I didnt get into it to save the animals, quite an interesting side effect of eating vegetables I guess.
    Only thing I miss are Wine Gums and a Midget Gem addiction, American Hard Gums are a poor substitute…

Gary_C

it felt like I was stirring a carcass.

**** drama queen..

psychle
    Free Member

Is vegetarianism a mental disorder (or symptom of)? Along the same lines as OCD etc? I’ve often wondered… and lines like this:

it felt like I was stirring a carcass

Make me wonder more… 😕

skinnysteel
    Free Member

If God had intended man to be vegetarian he wouldn’t have made animals out of meat.

nonk
    Free Member

i dont eat alot of meat because it make me a moany t**t so i do go month on end without eating meat but i do get sick of people that wear the badge and beat you round the head with the meat is bad stick. we are able to eat meat and a little bit now and then is a good thing in my view.

McHamish
    Free Member

If you want to avoid impacting animals through your diet I think you have to only eat food you’ve grown yourself.

The grain stored in that silo could have been used to make bread, potentially eaten by vegetarians going on about how eating meat is murder oblivious that all sorts of wild animals are dying to grow the ingredients.

julianwilson
    Free Member

We forgot cows and methane. I read somewhere once that if humans didn’t rear cows for milk/beef/veal/leather/glue/rennet, the amount of methane in the atmosphere would be well different. Goats milk/cheese is ace, and they are way more fun to rear look after. Not sure about the meat though 😕

Shak47

The most interesting thing about being a veggie is the way it seems to wind up meat eaters, who cares what anyone else eats?
    Rampant meat evangelists are as bad, if not worse than fundamentalist veggies.
    Despite being a veggie I have absolutely no desire to tell anyone else what to put in their mouths.
    As for the mince and the carcass thing, that surprised me as well as I loved mince prior to giving it up.

Simon-E

The most interesting thing about being a veggie is the way it seems to wind up meat eaters, who cares what anyone else eats?
    Rampant meat evangelists are as bad, if not worse than fundamentalist veggies.

My wife finds that any mention of being a veggie gets people on the defensive yet she never suggests they shouldn’t eat meat. When she decided, on environmental and animal welfare grounds to give up meat I said I’ll go along with it (she cooks most days). I’m not a veggie, I occasionally eat fish, but after 5 years I don’t miss meat at all.

@McHamish you obviously don’t realise the hectarage devoted to growing crops (grazing, silage, cereals etc) for livestock, how much grain/grass a cow gets through to make 1lb lean meat or a pint of milk, or the energy and water used to make and supply it. By all means eat meat, but don’t defend your decision by talking rubbish.
    http://environment.nationalgeographic.com/environment/freshwater/embedded-water/

@seosamh77 you might think everything’s there for us but I think you’ll find there are plenty of berries, flowers, herbs and fungi that will kill you or make you very ill, as will alcohol if you try hard enough.

I don’t think cow’s milk is as good for humans as the MMB/Dairy Council would have you believe (particularly claims about calcium and your bones), but I wouldn’t go as far as saying people shouldn’t drink it. I’m not into dictating, but I do feel the industrialised agriculture and food processing industries today allow people to make ill informed choices based on advertising so they feel it’s fine to eat lots of food with excess sugar, salt, saturated and trans fats and goodness knows what else. I think artificial sweeteners are very bad and would be happier if they were banned.

seosamh77
    Free Member

fortunately, poisonous berries etc aren’t top of my list of most fancied foods i’d like to try, phew, thank god for that! 😉 Like i say it’s good that food stuffs are plentiful enough to allow people choice… I doubt you’ll see too many Somali vegitarians or vegans these days mind.. hunger’s good kitchen, as my ma says..

Junkyard
    Free Member

Is vegetarianism a mental disorder (or symptom of)? Along the same lines as OCD etc?

does eating meat make people stupid?

These threads always end up with cross meat eaters and indifferent veggies and apparently veggies are the ones annoyed at what others eat.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

the weird thing about this thread resurrection is that myself and junkyard were probably discussing the matter of omnivores lashing out at vegetarians/vegans at precisely the same time some of this was posted this afternoon!

anyway, i “imposed” some vegan cakes and biscuits on a few mtb’ers today who were well aware of the lack of dairy products/eggs in them, and all were very impressed…

Viewing 13 posts - 201 through 213 (of 213 total)

The topic ‘vegetarian – why?’ is closed to new replies.