Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Vauxhall Combo Van Question
  • Fabdad
    Free Member

Looking at getting a van to lug my bikes around and was wondering if the 1.3 cdti,which is a bit cheaper to tax and insure,is powerful enough to carry two blokes and bikes at motorway speeds,am based in West Mids so always end up traveling a reasonable distance to where we’re riding.Any ideas?

bullheart
    Free Member

Mine is the 1.7 CDTi. But the 1.3 is just as good.

Very good, very under-rated…

Fabdad
    Free Member

Hi Bullheart,a crew van like yours is actually what I’m looking for,the ability to carry more than one passenger occasionaly would be very useful.Can you get 3 people+bikes+gear in ok? Also what sort of mpg do you get? and what is the tax+insurance like?

bullheart
    Free Member

Big apologies for the delay fella!

Stats:

48-55mpg

£310 Fully comp with NFU

Lovely on motorway at 80mph. Do it all day.

Seats up: 4 bikes broken down, 5 bods.

Seats down: 4/5 bikes complete, driver and passenger.

We fabricated a rack using a Fiamma rack for a Renault Master, and managed four bikes, five passengers and enough kit and spares for the two weeks of the Bullheart JOGLE.

Hope this helps. If you’re local feel free to come and have a look (SE England)

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

we had a 1.7 di (pre-dated the CDTi engines)

was great

4 bikes and camping stuff in the back no probs

will take a DH bike stood up with just the front wheel removed

drove it all over the place including northern scotland

it was rattly, noisy and draughty but we loved it

it had loads of cool and rare stickers too which we sold with it 😥

thebaker
    Free Member

Hi Fabdad,

I bought a Combo last year from a good friend who has sold Vauxhalls for years. I have a 1.7 DI, it’s been great and I have no doubt the extra power in the cdti is an advantage. However, he did say he wouldn’t sell me a 1.3 though he had them in stock for less cash. The reason is the engine is basically a FIAT engine with a little turbo on it. They are renowned, by his experience, to be underpowered and not great over long distances especially fully loaded.
    If you can I would say try and find a 1.7 in either di or cdti and it will do you better, working the engine less on the motorway too.

Cheers

Dave

simonbowns
    Free Member

I’ve got an 06 1.7 CDTi. It’s not particularly inspiring, but carries plenty kit. Crew version very handy for giving people lifts.

Noisy as a van, cabin heater struggles with really cold days.

Go go popemobile!

Fabdad
    Free Member

Thanks for your replies folks.Found a van dealer near where I work in Brum and he said to avoid the 1.3 CDTI although that was all he had in stock He reckoned to go for the 1.7 CDTI which apparantly is an Isuzo engine and supposed to be very reliable.Currantly working my through Ebay and Autotrader so hopefully should be sorted before long!

oxnop
    Free Member

We have a 1.3cdti purely for mtb duties. It’s ace , easily takes the bikes plus dog and camping gear.

Feels like it never drinks fuel and is uber reliable. Wouldnt be without it now.

bighendo
    Free Member

1.3 CDTI 55 plate owner for 6 years
    love it love it love it
    seem to average 11 miles/litre
    no issues with my heater bet its 10Kw !!!
    under powered??? hahahahahah no way!

bullheart
    Free Member

Couple more pics here

Liveried up for the ride at Glencoe

And with the custom bike-race. Old skool GT flava!

Fabdad
    Free Member

Hey Bullheart liking the van! I want one like yours with the glazed rear and side doors tho I think I might be tempted to get them tinted.Trouble is not all crew vans are like that,most of them appear to have solid side and rear doors,think I could live with the solid side doors but not sure how I’d get on not being able to see behind me,guess I’d have to adjust to using my door mirrors more :-)Also noticed that a few crew vans come with an up and over door which might come in handy for keeping out the rain!

bullheart
    Free Member

Be warned – In six months of looking I found only two for sale with glazed doors and glass in the back. In the whole country…

Fabdad
    Free Member

Hmmmm,In that case i wonder if you could’nt have solid doors glazed maybe?

bullheart
    Free Member

The panels can be cut out, and your best bet is to look at ex-RM combo’s being broken. They were the biggest fleet user of the type. Try SCS van sales near Eastbourne in Sussex.

mc
    Free Member

1.3cdti are ok. Not the most lively of lump with a fully loaded van, but they still put out about 70hp, which is still a bit more than the original 1.7DIs.
    Basic 1.7cdti puts out about 80hp, with the more powerful one around 100hp.

Both engines have issues, but provided you look after them, you shouldn’t have any major problems.

Fabdad
    Free Member

Bullheart,got any pics of the back of your van with the seats folded by any chance?

smudge
    Free Member

Just go and buy one FD 😛

would look nice with bit of advertising on the side panels 8)

Fabdad
    Free Member

Could do,cost you though:wink:

bullheart
    Free Member

‘fraid not. But the load space is identical to the conventional Combo.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Vauxhall Combo Van Question’ is closed to new replies.