Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Vanilla or Lyrik and why?
  • Bikebreaker
    Free Member

Fancy a change, 36 flavour, which do you have and what does it ride like? I have a 36 Talas but think the short blast on the Van I had felt plusher.

thv3
    Free Member

36 Van, plusher than anything else I have tried.

Best fork I've ever owned.

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

Personal preference. Didn't much like my van rc2's. Like my lyriks, liked my old 66's. Reckon the new 55 rc3 might be a contender if it rides like the old 66.

toys19
    Free Member

love my 36 vans, love em.

tangent
    Free Member

sorry for slight hijack here…can I ask how much the VanR's actually weigh? , and how much maintainance they need over say a season

Bikebreaker
    Free Member

My Talas need servicing in the next month or so and I can have them changed by Mojo to Van r's for £200. The question is do I do that or try to sell on here and buy a new Lyric at £500?

tangent
    Free Member

yeah I'm looking at some bargin Lyrics too!…the running costs for Fox seem quite high!

Vortexracing

Just picked up te lyrik from freeborn for £400 😆

was thinking about the Van but at that price I could not leave them in the shop

PJM1974
    Free Member

£400?????

grumm
    Free Member

was thinking about the Van but at that price I could not leave them in the shop

My '09 36 Van RC2s weren't much more than that 😀

And they are bloody amazing!!! 😛

Vortexracing

yeah, they were on a display bike got them with full warranty and a 210mm steerer

Bagstard
    Free Member

Lyrik for me, they just have so much adjustability. Set them up nice and soft for trail riding, then wack up the compression for big jumps and drops. The u-turn is fantadtic too, especially on a hardtail.

hora
    Free Member

yeah, they were on a display bike got them with full warranty and a 210mm steerer

Coil or 2step?

geetee1972
    Free Member

Hora they were coil and basically brand spanking new. An absolute bargain!

Can't comment on the VanRs but the Lyriks are a doddle to service at home. All you need to do is unbolt the lowers, pull them off (so to speak), drain excess oil, clean seals, insert uppers, insert lubrication oil in either leg and bolt them back up. Job done.

hora
    Free Member

Coil? Phew.

Vortexracing

as geetee said thay are coil u turns.

and thanks to who ever gave STW the heads up.

if it was you geetee ta very muchly.

They will go nice on my BFe

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Lyrics – fully DIY serviceable (no sealed damper cart), and U-turn is a must have for steep climbs (IMO)

hora
    Free Member

Aye. I think Im going to ask for coil/UTurn internals on my 2step. Going back for the second time in 3weeks.

nicolaisam
    Free Member

Lyrics here,170mm of smooth and controlled travel.Easy to set up and easy to service.

If you dont need travel adjust go for the 170mm DH version like i have.

Gee76
    Free Member

Shoulda got some Wotans Chuck ;o)

Nico…. Do you use the DH versions on the trail? I read on Mtbr that the floodgate can restrict the std forks somewhat and they "breathe" better without it. It this just the case for FR/DH use tho and without it would they in your opinion dive thru travel. I got the impression when I briefly spoke to TFT that the floodgat might be useful for trail riding (not something I'd personally) use or at least not having it might make for a less controlled fork for Trail riding purposes?.

Very tempted by the new Lyrics just not sure whether std or DH would be best for my general trail duties and the odd DH usage. Was thinking of going fixed travel Solo Air (reduced to say 150 for trail use and then upped to 170mm (removing spacer) for the odd DH day. Would be on on my Tracer btw!!.

kamina
    Free Member

I just got the new Solo Air Lyriks to replace Van 36 RC2's. Have not had enough time on the trail to really comment on the performance, but despite this being an air fork there is less stiction out of the box then on the Van 36 (I had to open those up, add oil cause it was dry and grease everything up). The controls also make more of a difference then on the Van.

Main reason for changing was that my new frame will require a longer steerer tube, not that I was somehow unhappy with the vans. Bonus is that I lost about 300g of weight. 🙂

lardman
    Free Member

so, after reading all this….
    the question is, i reckon i should get Lyrik coils, on my SX trail.
    But, i dont need the u-turn gubbins, and want about 6-7inch travel. I'm a chunky mo-fo, and want a more modern supple fork than my current Marzoochi Z1 freeride.

Don't want any fox nonsense servicing issues, and need coil, not air.

Is this the right fork?

…..answers on this greatly appreciated.

Bagstard
    Free Member

Is your sx to be used for DH or trail riding? I had totem solo air on mine and they worked great for DH/Freeride. Very confidence inspiring and could be reduced to 160mm.

hora
    Free Member

lardman why not a set of 2005 66RC forks? Stick to what you know? 😉

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

and want a more modern supple fork than my current Marzoochi Z1 freeride.

If it's an HSCV freeride – you can't have anything more modern and more supple, 'cos it doesn't exist!

lardman
    Free Member

'hora'
    because it's in my nature to think there's always something better out there somewhere, and i should upgrade. Silly i know, but i'm a victim. And also i'll put the Z1's on my hardtail, so they wont go to waste.

I would just stick with the Z1's rather than get the 66's, as the stanchion size (although nice) would not be enough in itself to change/upgrade.

Not sure if it's an HSCV freeride? It is a 2006 Z1 if that helps?

So the performance of my Z1's is pretty close to the performance of either lyriks/fox etc>

Vortexracing

I expect my Lyriks to perform no differenetly to my 66sl's.

i just require on the fly travel adjust. But compression and rebound performance i expect to be no better.

2006 Z1's and 66's Marzocchis are very good forks. Especially the high end models

si-wilson
    Free Member

My opinion as a customer rather than dealer is, that there seems to be a fair few people who have had to send their Lyrics back for whatever reason, whilst the Fox 36's seem more reliable?

Certainly of all the Fox i have sold i have not had a single pair back yet *touch wood* 8)

hora
    Free Member

Slightly OT- how long should you wait for a response after sending an email and a fax? Its 24hrs so far. I think I might just ask for a full refund.

lardman
    Free Member

'si'
    not a fan of excessive maintenance, so i would probably NOT buy a Fox. At least not until they have done their customer R&D properly.

i know they work very well, as i have ridden several pairs. BUT, cant be doing with things made out of putty.

So, the consensus is to keep the Z1's, or get some 66's.

Ta.

hora
    Free Member

Lardman, depends. These beasts go upto 170mm :0

Vortexracing

My 66sl's are for sale BTW

lardman
    Free Member

go on then chucky…. £££ ?

Vortexracing

£195 OVNO Posted.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Vanilla or Lyrik and why?’ is closed to new replies.