Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Van hire
  • mountainman

Need to hire a van sprinter size,or as large as poss for house move on monday 3 day hire as moving to eire.
    my location aberystwyth,west wales.returning to aber empty as need to be back to finish work contract.

any suggestions

Junkyard
    Free Member

google van hire in Aberystwyth- call them, see who is cheapest

maccruiskeen

Can’t advise as to who to go with in Aberystwyth but get your ideas straight about what size of van you want before you start phoning for prices as ‘Sprinter’ size covers three very different sizes of van so you won’t know if the prices you are being quoted are like for like.

If you are looking for ‘As large as possible’ then a Transit Jumbo or an Extra Long wheelbase Sprinter that’ll give you a load space about 3.5m long, 1.5 wide, 1,8 tall.

The alternative you might get offered is a Luton type box van – with these ask a lot of questions about size as they are coach-built and vary in size quite a lot from one hire co to another – with load spaces ranging from 3m to 4.2m long. They are wider, taller and squarer than regular vans but carry much less weight – around 800kg (which to illustrate is about the same weight as a Berlingo can carry) compared to 1500kg in a Transit Jumbo. – Worth thinking about as you’ll get weighed at the ferry terminal with a van.

nickjb
    Free Member

I’d go for a luton with a tail lift. Much easier to load and they drive OK. Taking it abroad complicates things a bit as that often isn’t allowed. Last time we went to Ireland we used Jolly Good Van Hire, They’ve got a few depots.

thomthumb
    Free Member

make sure your licence covers you for whatever size your booking. if you passed after 2001 it might only be 3.5T on there.

spooky_b329

If you have a pre ’97 license, consider a 7.5t truck. our local place is £70 a day for a 3.5t luton with a 1000kg payload, or a 7.5t truck with 3500kg payload for just £90.

We are going through the same thing and the 7.5t would be a no brainer except for the fact we can’t fit it in the drive of the new place whereas a luton van will. Leaving it parked on the road would block a bus route so we would be very unpopular. We are only moving a couple of miles and have a trailer so can shift the heavy less valuable stuff a couple of days before the move so a 3.5t will manage it.

Just check the ferry prices as it will be more expensive for the larger truck.

spooky_b329

Thomthumb, its 1997 when the license changed.

maccruiskeen

3.5t will cover a luton though – same laden weight as a standard panel van, its just that more of that tonnage is accounted for by the vehicle itself which is why they carry less weight. Good point about taking the van abroad – even just getting a ferry to NI I needed to get permission.

Most hire co’s standard terms will be that you can’t take a van abroad, but by negotiation you often can.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

The main thing for a van – and I guess you’ve twigged this – is that you’ll have talk to someone by phone to find out about if its possible and the cost (sometimes prohibitive) to bring it abroad. Some comapanies just wont allow it.

Hiring in NI is easy – they’re used to asking if you want Eire cover. In my experience – from Scotland – its not straightforward.

So no direct advice – but you’ll have to get on the phone. What about comapanies based near Holyhead? They must be more used to this what with the Ferry and all.

maccruiskeen

£70 a day for a 3.5t luton with a 1000kg payload,

take the hire co’s suggestion as to payload with a pinch of salt its usually a number they’ve picked out of the air, the tail lift is pretty heavy for instance and can knock 300kg off the payload- I took van that had a claimed 1000kg payload over a weighbridge empty – it weighed nearly 2800kg – that leaves 700kg payload, which is less weight than my astra can carry. Don’t forget your too burly helpers in the passenger seat will knock another 200kg off that.

mountainman

Licence not a problem as passed test in early 80s.

Eire is counted as europe ,got local firm quote £95.per day.

Euro van hire say £287.but no question as to use so guess when you say eire they will change that to cover insurance.
    GOT couple more local boys to phone tommorow,`

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Van hire’ is closed to new replies.