• This topic has 28 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by hora.
Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • valkyrie- right, I've got a problem with this
  • hora
    Free Member

Man and dog on their own tonight. valkyrie- £5 in Sainsburys.

First minute. I have a problem. Hes writing in his diary (in the desert) that he has a problem with the mass murder of Jews. Was it that wide a knowledge in the early 40's?

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Main problem with Valkyrie is Tom effing Cruise, can't stand the grining little ****!

rOcKeTdOg

maybe he's if he's seen it himself, no idea though, not seen the filum

rOcKeTdOg

sc-xc

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

If you wanted to know yes. Most people didn't although perhaps the true scale didn't become apparent until after the war.

Escapes from camps and smuggled out information, intercepts of orders and so on.

johnners
    Free Member

Most other accounts of von Stauffenberg seem to suggest he'd not have been too bothered.

My problem with the film is the tedium, I think I made it to about 40 mins.

sc-xc

I loved that massive action sequence at about 41 minutes…brilliant! 😀

hora
    Free Member

😆

nickc

Yes, the British Govt certainly knew by early 41 (or was getting intelligence to suggest it was), so it was probably common knowledge in the German Army

radoggair
    Free Member

generally thought it was a good movie, i'd watch it again

grtdkad
    Free Member

I've not seen the movie but the book (Philipp von Boeselager' memoirs) does give an insight. IIRC Philipp and his elder brother were pretty senior, decorated officers and were privvy to very occassional meeting with AH et al.
    Basically they would give their life for their country but hated the nazi party and all it meant.

The book is well written, modest and honours the officers that were executed for the attempts at Adolfs life…massive risks on the odd occassion when they were back from the front and may be in the same room as the man. Let me know if the hollywood version is any good!

hora
    Free Member

grtdkad, would like a link/publisher/ISDN etc if possible?

There certainly were alot of heroes in the German army on the front line. That bit is key, on the front line. Anyone in a position of power who knew the truth and did nothing, well.

DA_DOOD–lulz
    Free Member

An officer in the Wehrmacht would have surely known another officer who had served on the eastern front so, yes, highly plausible. The idea that Nazi attrocities only became apparent in 1945 is a falsehood.

hora
    Free Member

Maybe a work of fiction. I actually enjoyed it.

UncleFred
    Free Member

Ok I realise that it would probably be a bit much for the whole cast to learn their lines in German and then Subtitle the film, but it would have been nice if they could of at least spoken with a German accent.

daveob
    Free Member

Supposed to be pretty accurate. The Jewish community are generally supportive of him if that means anything.

jahwomble
    Free Member

The Wehrmacht, played an active role on the Ostfront, rounding Jews, communists,and "saboteurs" (and, well anybody else they didnt like the look of really up)lending logistical support to Einsatz Kommando groups(who they had already seen operating in Poland against Jews and intelligentsia). Even providing trucks and firing squads on hundreds of well documented occasions,and committed many atrocities under the umbrella coverage of the Barbarossa Decree and Commissar orders of March '41.

jahwomble
    Free Member

And the US certainly knew, as IBM were supplying the punch card data technology that made it all relatively easy to keep track of it all.Even supplying the Riech with cards and equipment through foreign subsidiaries and servicing the equipment up till late 1944.

mk1fan
    Free Member

radoggair – Member
    generally thought it was a good

I did wonder where this was going…..

Dirtynap
    Free Member

The guy was a fairly high ranking officer so ya, there is no reason to susepct he wouldn't.

My probelm with teh film is that its hollywoodised, I was not aware that the third reich had short americans as officers.

radoggair
    Free Member

The usual STW ' i hate everything, i could do better' crap. What i have gathered from every thread is that all post 20 years movies are sh*t, there's no decent actors/tresses under 60, music is only decent if it's the 70's or earlier.

Move on people, move on and accept change. Its good you know

grtdkad
    Free Member

Sorry, late response…watching the 'lympics!

The original book is on ISBN Ref 075382566X – Valkyrie: The Plot to Kill Hitler by Philipp von Boeselager.
    PvB encouraged by his daughter to break silence – not a novel, more like a chronological memories, interesting values from his childhood brought up in the great outdoors – spent years as a cavalry officer, looked after his men and his horses.
    Not written in a big hollywood way, more humble if you ask me. I enjoyed the read.

How did the film go?

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Funnily enough I watched the film on Thursday. It is quite good and has stayed remakably accurate to the facts. They actually left out one or two parts of the story because they felt it would make the film look too "Hollywood". Prime example was they felt they couldn't have Tom Cruise in hospital missing an eye, a hand and three fingers refusing to take morphine even though Stauffenberg did just that.

I'm pretty harsh on judging WW2 films but would give it 7/10.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Actually in response to the original question, it is worth pointing out that the Stauffenberg brothers were from a long military line and well respected family, so they would have counted senior wermacht officers amongst their close friends and family, so it is highly likely he would have known about the mass slaughter.

hora
    Free Member

I was not aware that the third reich had short americans as officers.

Or Fromm who starred in a certain 'english stripease film' 🙄

mk1fan
    Free Member

radoggair – Member

The usual STW ' i hate everything, i could do better' crap. What i have gathered from every thread is that all post 20 years movies are sh*t, there's no decent actors/tresses under 60, music is only decent if it's the 70's or earlier.

Move on people, move on and accept change. Its good you know

Actually, I thought the sentence was going to say 'generally thought it was a good …. idea to …. '

But the usual STW sense of humour failure ….

atlaz
    Free Member

I don't really get the problem with them speaking English with an American accent. Either they speak German or it doesn't matter.

My problem with the film was the same as a lot of historical films; I knew all about it before the start so the sense of tension "will he, won't he" was almost totally absent. Other than that I enjoyed it and it wasn't far from the true story. That said, any suggestions that von Stauffenberg was engaged in the plot for any reasons other than a growing realisation that Hitler was driving Germany to the brink of disaster is wide of the mark.

Still.. wasn't a bad film.

hora
    Free Member

There was at least one leading character who was a German? The Colonel?

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘valkyrie- right, I've got a problem with this’ is closed to new replies.