Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • Vacuums – Are Dyson worth it?
  • baldSpot
    Free Member

The little woman 😉 is complaining that our Henry vacumm cleaner is rubbish. We are going to buy a new vacuum and wonder if Dysons are all the are cracked up to be. Anyone any thoughts/experiences of them?

joolsburger
    Free Member

Yes they are….Mine have been reliable and work very well. Prefer the cylinder to the upright though.

nickf
    Free Member

Dyson cleaners aren’t great, at least they weren’t when I had one. Miele work very well – I’ve got two, both of which have lasted over 5 years.

strike
    Free Member

Having had a Dyson and now I Bosch, I wouldn’t bother with a Dyson again.

GWick
    Free Member

I’ve had a cyclinder for nearly 12 years. Found some of the plastic connections to be a bit fragile but always managed to bodge something back together. Had to replace the cable etc but 12 years!

You cant beat a Dysons suck 🙂

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Our Dysons 11 years old, getting a bit tatty and one of the hoses needs replacing but other than a new motor in the first month it’s been faultless.

amplebrew

We replaced ours with a Hettie vacuum and it seems to work better than the Dyson.

Our Dyson was a couple of years old, but I was never that impressed with it.

I’d stick with the Henry IMHO

Harry_the_Spider

My DC01 must be 15 years old. It looks knackered, has been dropped down the stairs a couple of times, has a crack in it… and it still works.

You will never get a consensus on…

Helmets
    Skodas
    Julia Bradbury
    Dysons

Cougar

I like mine, but the only comparison I have is against a (many)-year old Hoover which sucked. Or rather, didn’t.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

On our second Dyson. Both have been reliable and worked well. Motor failed in the current one after 4 years of very heavy use (5 dogs around the house, used daily). IIRC was £30 for a new one direct from Dyson, and about 30 mins to fit.

If you have multipe dogs, a Dyson is the only machine that does not make the house stink of dog after you’ve used it. The Henry was awful for that

finbar
    Free Member

On our Dyson the hose split & various fiddly extraneous bits of plastic cracked off. And it weighs a ton compared to a Henry. I hate it.

catnash
    Free Member

Same here with two dogs. DC08 animal is the bees knees, even the miele cat and dog didn’t compare. Six years old and going strong, I can strip it down to component parts. Have a henry in the garage for the car.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Dyson’s are like toys. Stick with your henry, run it bagless and empty it if it smells after use or put a car air freshner in the top bit.

peasant
    Free Member

Buy Miele

dooosuk
    Free Member

Are all the Dyson haters remembering to clean the filters etc as you should?

z1ppy

Miele cat & dog cylinder… forget the dyson.

headfirst
    Free Member

Two dogs, a cat and a Miele here. Wish we’d bought it years earlier.

cp

I don’t really understand the Dyson haters. Particularly ones who recommend Henry’s…

All the Dysons I’ve used (5 – not all mine!!) have worked very very well. they’re bagless and emptying is sooo easy. release cartridge, hold over bin, press button and it empties. when a motor went on one, they were round next day fixing it FOC.

bought mine from dysons ebay outlet

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Dyson-Outlet

stumpy01

Had a Dyson upright that worked OK, but was heavy & awkward.

When it died we replaced it with a Samsung upright cyclone thing (Dyson clone) and it’s much better. Lighter, seems to pick more up, easier to empty and was way less than half the price of the Dyson. It doesn’t feel as solid as the Dyson, but that’s not really an issue.

mugs
    Free Member

My Dyson is pretty awful, it works, but there’s very little suction and there never has been. The only saving grace is the ease with which you can take it apart to clean it and clear blockages, but even when working perfectly it doesn’t suck as hard as the little old £25 electrolux bagged vacuum it replaced. Not impressed – if it wasn’t so damned expensive I’d junk it and happily replace it, but I begrudge throwing it out while it’s still technically working!

sam_underhill

one with the ball here which makes it easy to manoeuvre. They suck hard too. So on those two critical functional issues they work very well. They are a bit heavy, but we are all lean, mean mountain bikers right? so that shouldn’t be much of an issue. Plasticy – yes, but at least you can get spares.

On balance, I reckon they are good. They make the job of vacuuming easy.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

My first Dyson was rubbish (DC01 I think). The one we have now is fine (one of those ball ones) and is dead easy to manoeuvre around.

I find it hard to get excited about vacuuming though so, for me, as long as things are clean after I have vacuumed I am happy.

Rio

Not sure what some people do with their Dysons but we have an 8 year old one that’s used for building work etc sucking up stuff that clogs other vacuum cleaners in seconds and it still works fine, it lives in the garage with stuff thrown on top of it and hasn’t broken. We have another more recent one with the ball that’s kept clean for inside the house. Dysons are infinitely repairable – they come apart fairly easily and you can (must) wash the bits periodically and clean the filters. On the other hand our builder currently has a Henry on our building site and it seems to be holding up ok.

I used to have a Hoover which I got because people said they lasted for ever, Mrs R had an Electrolux for the same reason; true to some extent but they were both completely useless at cleaning so they went down the tip.

julianwilson
    Free Member

aaaahhhhh, the Henry vs Dyson debate seems to come up here a couple of times a year. Usually featuring a few indestructible dysons (like HTS’s) and a few that fell to bits when a gust of wind came in through the catflap. Also featuring a couple of henry’s which have hoovered up the remains of dead business rivals, and a couple which couldn’t hoover up a rice crispie.

For my experience (henrys and james at work, dysons at home), they are both great. Get a dyson cheap from the local paper to try one out, we got ours from someone with a pristine house and unseasonal suntan who just had to ‘upgrade’ to the latest one. 😆

frogger
    Free Member

We’ve had 3 Dysons (one as a wedding present, other one we got from our neighbour who just wanted rid of it and we won one in a raffle, freaky as all that may sound) and they were all crap. Glad I never paid a penny for any of them. We now have a small Miele which actually manages to lift stuff off the floor/carpet, something none of our Dysons ever managed. We have since invested a bit of money into other Miele appliances and have been very happy with all of them.

maccruiskeen

dysons are a bit complex but robustly built and endlessly and cheaply repairable, henry’s have hardly any moving parts. less to impress less to go wrong. both are only vacuum cleaners. The repairability of Dysons might be something I think a lot of owners overlook, as we’re now in a culture of if-it-breaks-buy-another.

In upright form dysons are excellent if theres a lot of crud to deal with – pet owners, people with real fires etc – I bought one when a client for an office refit decided to have new carpets fitted before he asked me to build the partitions, walls and ceilings. Non of my uprights and cylinder vacs couldn’t lift the carnage left by the plasterers but the dyson could. Using the hose and tools on the dyson uprights is an arse though, I find them rubbish on stairs and in small tricky rooms, the handle/hose is just too ungainly, and as much as they do 95% of the job quickly and brilliantly you’ll be yearning for something more nimble for the final 5%. They’re also really noisy, especially on hard floors.

In cylinder form theres not that much to choose between them performance wise, they are just different ways of achieving the same goal, its just a case of you wanting to convey the image of being one of either being one jetsons or the office janitor, choose your fantasy.

Meile make a nice noise, but for that price tag I’d want it to be my job to hoover all day to want to pay to listen to it.

Algore
    Free Member

Miele or Sebo are the best you can get apparently. Our Sebo is brilliant.
    Always makes me smile when people say ‘our Dysons (plural) have been great.’ I prefer to do a bit of research and buy one device and then never have to buy one again.

bi6al
    Free Member

miele all the way had a dyson always cleaning filters etc,and when you go to the dump look how many dysons are sitting scrapped at the electrical recycling it way outnumbers anything else

sv

Are all the Dyson haters remembering to clean the filters etc as you should?

Just discovered (after 4years of ownership) that our DC08 has two filters! One washed and the other was replaced, now running well again…

Junkyard
    Free Member

had a couple not overly impressed with it tbh second one was free would not buy one personally.
    Kirby are ace but very expensive

dooosuk
    Free Member

dysons are sitting scrapped at the electrical recycling it way outnumbers anything else

Could that be because they’ve outsold any other vacuums by quite a proportion over the last 10 to 15years?

ahwiles
    Free Member

vacuum cleaner?

vorwerk:

everything else is just a noisy toy.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Always makes me smile when people say ‘our Dysons (plural) have been great.’ I prefer to do a bit of research and buy one device and then never have to buy one again

Perhaps they have more than one property or some other such reason to have more than one perfectly functioning vacuum cleaner?

It surprises me the passion a particular brand of vacuum cleaner can give rise to.

sam_underhill

I can’t believe I’ve a) read this thread. b) contributed to this thread and c) come back to see what’s been added since I contributed.

What have i turned into?

ourmaninthenorth

I like that Dyson revolutionised a previously staid market. I like that they are repairable. I didn’t like that, even after several attempts at repairing ours (DC07, IIRC), it still never really worked very well.

We have a cheap Samsung. 95% of the performace of a Dyson, at 25% of the cost.

Next will be a Miele or Sebo. And I’ll never buy another after that.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

SEBO

5 in my family with a combined total of over 60yrs service.

All working perfectly.

molgrips
    Free Member

I had an old one from ooh, 2001 or so. It worked well enough but didn’t suck that hard. Our newer one – a cylinder, forget the number, but the animal version with the turbine head – is much much better. It sucks very well and the turbine heads work excellently.

Neither one went wrong though.

I had no intention of buying one when I went into John Lewis, but we wanted a cylinder and of the ones they had only two had beater heads. The Miele one was pretty feeble compared to the Dyson one and it was also bagged, so it was a fairly easy choice.

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Bloke up our local market sells refurb Dysons with 12 months warranty, got a hideous looking green and purple thing for 69 quid.

Picks up loads including the discraded fur from our long haired moggy, no complaints and would buy another one

DrJ

What have i turned into?

A regular on cleaningladies.com ?? 🙂

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Hated emptying our Dyson. Do it indoors and you’d distribute most of the dust back into the house. Do it outside and risk it blowing all over you.

Miele since then and much prefer the bagged approach. Yes, it sucks less well as it fills up, but not terribly, and emptying is so much easier and cleaner.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Vacuums – Are Dyson worth it?’ is closed to new replies.