Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Vacuum cleaner selection woes!? Help!
  • supersessions9-2
    Free Member

We have wooden floors and 2 dogs.

Need a cylinder vaccum that copes with both.

I’m not buying a dyson as all the ones I’ve used have been crap.

So it’s either a miele or for half the price a Numatic Harry (henry’s brother).

is the miele really worth 200 quids?

The dog hair cleaning bit for the miele seems to be especially for carpets, of which we have none.

There seems to be some home appliance knowledge on here, so what can you tell me?

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Henrys brother will be fine.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Hen-ry!
    Hen-ry!
    Hen-ry!
    Hen-ry!

Come on everyone, join in! 😀

Hen-ry!
    Hen-ry!
    Hen-ry!
    Hen-ry!

househusband

Having had a Dyson and a Miele over the past ten years I have nothing but praise for the Numatic Harry – it just works! Massive bags, stable, long hose and long cord – and half the price of either of the two we’ve had before.

(And the Miele kept giving me static electric shocks…)

winston_dog
    Free Member

Sebo, every time.
    As dear as Miele but better. We have 2 dogs and wooden floors and a few carpets, it copes with everything.
    Well worth the money.

cinnamon_girl

Can I ask a bimbo question? Would a vacuum cleaner potentially damage wooden floors?

Just buy a Vax.

Problem solved.

cranberry
    Free Member

*joins cinamon-girl in potential bimbo-ery* what with having moved into a new flat with all-wooden flooring and everything.

cinnamon_girl

I’m no ‘domestic goddess’ but surely sweeping is better? For example, my laminate flooring is swept with a Vileda thingy and that certainly picks up my moultings!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

my moultings!

Ewwwww. Yuck.

cinnamon_girl

Captain – rest assured I was referring to my glorious curls … on my head. 😀

Grimy
    Free Member

I think cinnamon girl is into something here. Surely vacume cleaners are for carpet. Which brush and mop are perhaps the better question.

jonnyrobertson

I dunno, that Henry seems like a bit of a dodgy character to me…[video]http://youtu.be/CmC62Eg82E8http://[/video

1freezingpenguin
    Free Member

Henry 🙂

matthewjb
    Free Member

I’ve had a Henry for about 15 years. He just refuses to die.

I’d like to get a Miele to fit in with STW but Henry just keeps going.

He’s fallen down stairs (honest he wasn’t pushed) and been generally abused and just keeps sitting there grinning.

banginon

Wooden floors, rugs, carpet, hairy dug – don’t regret paying up for the Meile.

andrewh
    Free Member

Kirby.

user-removed
    Free Member

Hairy white dog here, and black carpets on the stairs and upstairs… Laminate downstairs which gets swept and mopped. We have an Electrolux Red Pet Special (Dyson bagless style thing) and it’s shit. Do not buy one. The pet hair attatchment is pathetically weedy and in the early days, when we naively continued to attempt to use it, it blocked up with tedious regularity. The motor bunt out about a month out of the 12 month guarantee and it took a whole lot of shouting to get it repaired.

Its main claim to fame was the supposed ability to hoover a full flight of stairs using the crazy-long hose with the body of the machine staying at the bottom. Toss. The hose is fine, but again, the daft, badly designed pet hair attatchment is the weak link.

When you turn it on it blows a huge dust cloud over the room you are trying to clean, even after all the fiddly, minging washable filters have been removed, washed, dried and replaced (I have to take it outside to switch it on). Once running, the noise is akin to being buzzed by a Tornado.

Can’t wait ’til it dies again and we can buy a real cleaner!

nosherduke996
    Free Member

Had my Miele for over 8 years now and would definitely by another one.Yes they are expensive but they are worth it.

PePPeR

I’d say a Harry too, I’ve had a George (the upmarket one with the cleaning kit with it for 20 years) it was used every day for valeting cars for 5 years, and is now used in our house in France. It has never had anything go wrong with it! The only downside is the plastic hose attachment piece wears down and has to be changed regularly (a few quid from my local vacuum repair man).

tall_martin

I went for a henry. Its ok on normal carpet and perfect on wooden floors. Mostly I bought it as my folks Dyson breaks, my mates dyson breaks. I used them when I worked in coffee shops and neither me not my ham fisted mates broke one. We broke shelves, fridges, coffee machines but never the vaccume:)

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Vacuum cleaner selection woes!? Help!’ is closed to new replies.