Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Using up cherries
  • z1ppy

The cherry trees in the local park have been over flowing of late, until the latest rains washed them away, but it’s prompted me to make a couple of cherry pies lately. Abet using tinned cherries, hey the local wild life was enjoying them too much & there too high up to pick easily.
    Very nice.

Yesterday my brother turned up with 2Kg of unpitted cherries, and I need to use em up before they go bad… got any suggestions?

Was going to use some (all?) for a jam making experiment, though the recipe I’ve found is american and uses those stupid **** “cup” measurements. Fine if you have sugar/flour (simple conversion to gram are avaiable) but wet fruit, WTF does a cup of cherries weigh?
    Grrrrrrr

http://thefrugalchef.com/Docs/Cherry%20Jam.pdf

molgrips
    Free Member

Just spend a couple of quid on some measuring cups, simples.

Or use the volume conversions. 1 cup = near enough 250ml which is, surprise surprise – a typical cup or mug size 🙂

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cup_(unit)

z1ppy

Bah! I am resisting, I will not be assimilated by cups…

midlifecrashes

TooTall
    Free Member

those stupid **** “cup” measurements

A really clever system of measurement. Imagine being able to bake and cook and only having one unit of measurement that didn’t rely on having scales? Brilliant in it’s simplicity.

Get a cherry / olive stoner and get stoning!

phil.w
    Free Member

A really clever system of measurement. Imagine being able to bake and cook and only having one unit of measurement that didn’t rely on having scales? Brilliant in it’s simplicity

Yet relies on having a correct size cup. And what happens when you need to measure half or quarter of a cup, do you have more cups of these sizes or measure it roughly in a full size cup? In which case the whole point of measuring ingredients is lost.

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s true – cups are pretty useful. You don’t need scales. We bought my sister in law a traditional British cookery book for Christmas one year and had to get her some scales too 🙂

z1ppy

A really clever system of measurement. Imagine being able to bake and cook and only having one unit of measurement that didn’t rely on having scales? Brilliant in it’s simplicity.

What can I say? I prefer the accuracy of scales, not the guesstimation, I see cups as.

Nick
    phil.w
    Free Member

It’s true – cups are pretty useful. You don’t need scales.

How do you measuring something like butter with a cup?

z1ppy

Nick, your a star, that just what I want. Seen it done on River cottage, by Huge with other fruit, looked lovely
    (and the recipe has proper measurements)

mrsgrips
    Free Member

Well in the USofA butter has measurements written on the side of the sticks so you know how much to add… if you’re scooping it out of jar/container you just scoop it into your cup then scoop from the cup into the mixing bowl…
    Personally (tho I grew up with the system) I love measuring cups; all I have to do is scoop the ingredients and pour into the bowl. Makes cooking very simple and teaches fractions too. 🙂 no zero-ing out scales or thinking little more, shake shake, accident dump…golldarnit now tons less…damn a little more…

z1ppy

Molegrips… from your Wiki link 😈 :

There is no internationally-agreed standard definition of the cup, whose modern volume ranges between 200 and 284 millilitres.

Accuracy eh? What would you want that for? 😉

TheBrick
    Free Member

They freeze ok if stoned.

Best to use to make a cherry vodka or gin.

mrsgrips
    Free Member

Aye, cups are standard per se, but if you are using cups from the same set then your measurements are all going to be accurate (relative to each other)…scales aren’t always accurate either…

warton
    Free Member

cups are brilliant. and Lurpak has 25g markers on the pack these days

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Using up cherries’ is closed to new replies.