Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Using Silicone Sealant as short gripper
  • thecrackfox
    Free Member

I've got some new winter shorts, but when I'm all snugly and tucked in they gradually slip down as I ride.

Can you use silicone bathroom sealant around the inside of the waste band as a gripper or is it going to come off in the wash and bu&&er the washing machine?

Any ideas?

Algore
    Free Member

Attach some old fashioned gents braces!

Onzadog
    Free Member

or stick in the tops from a pair of the other halfs hold-ups that got damaged in an enthusiatic session. It's what i did with the staps on my shin/knee guards.

ken_shields
    Free Member

Silicon sealant for kitchens/bathrooms contains allsorts of nasty chemicals and shouldn't have any contact with your skin. It may bring you out in all sorts of nasty rashes

From the COSHH sheet for Dow Corning Silicon Sealant

Avoid contact with skin and eyes
    MAY CAUSE IRRITATION TO THE RESPIRATORY SYSTEM
    MAY BE HARMFUL IF INGESTED IN QUANTITY
    MAY CAUSE EYE IRRITATION
    SKIN – IRRITATION AND DERMATITIS MAY RESULT FROM PROLONGED CONTACT
    Do not breathe in vapour

Although shorts have silicon bands on them they will not be made of the same stuff (similar but not the same)

This time of year bib shorts are the way to go

sockpuppet

aye, bibs are the way

rickmeister

Onza, I have a pair of hers too… your right, they are ace!

Both times…….

thecrackfox
    Free Member

They are fleecy lined baggies for winter riding, with bibs underneath. But I accept the wisdom of the COSHH assessment.

Its just bl00dy annoying when you spend £80 for a pair of shorts that fit pretty well and then the fleece lining causes them to slide down over all the other man made material I'm wearing, it's a shame static electricity doesn't hold them up!! 👿

Rant over

Pieface

Why hasrickmeister got a pair of Onzadogs wifes hold-ups?

IamSam
    Free Member

you could try this stuff it seems to have a load of different uses and is silicone based

spanishbarry
    Free Member

Pies ,Curries and Cake it works for me ,never have a problem with my waiste band slipping down

thecrackfox
    Free Member

IamSam that looks genius, I might get me some when its back in stock, cheers.

fatboyjon

Use nails. Really long ones.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Can you use silicone bathroom sealant around the inside of the waste band as a gripper

Genius. Imagine what your mates with think when a murky white liquid starts oozing out of the back of your shorts. 😯

thecrackfox
    Free Member

I was going to use the clear version! Would clear liquid ouzing out the back of my shorts be any better? 😉

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Errrrrrr. Maybe. Maybe not. I'm not going to check for you, before you ask! 8)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Using Silicone Sealant as short gripper’ is closed to new replies.