Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • usb com ports
  • crmcc
    Free Member

I have a USB com port device but every time I con nect it has a different com port number. Does anyone know how to lock it to the same com port. Just to add to the confusion there are 3 USB ports and I can get different port number’s on each!

radtothepowerofsik
    Free Member

It’s the bain of my life! #firstworldproblem

You can’t do it.

druidh
    Free Member

If you always plug it into the same USB port, it should come up with the same COM port (does for me anyway)

wwaswas

druidh+1

andyl
    Free Member

aye they should be fixed unless there is some kind of hub on the motherboard and only one actual usb port for those connectors.

You can normally mess with the com port numbers in the hardware settings.

crmcc
    Free Member

It is strange, I have 2 different types to connect to different equipment. One always comes up as the same com port even when connected to different USB sockets. The one I am having trouble with gets a different port number when plugged into the same socket, but sometimes it will get the same number even when in a different com port. I suspect the first one had the driver software written properly. Although ad I said the second one did work until I let a colleague use the laptop and now my work around doesn’t work anymore.There is now alot of messing about to get the two devices to talk.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘usb com ports’ is closed to new replies.