Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Urgent help please – worried about scamming
  • ttf
    Free Member

Hi, i bought a new phone on ebay yesterday, seemed totally legit. However, last night (after paying £200 via paypal) I recieved this e-mail in the junkbox of my email account.

“Dear nug8321.

You are the winning buyer for the Brand New Nokia 5800 8gb xpress music (vodafone lock).
    Thank you for your business.

Just reply this email as soon as possible for new payment instructions(don’t pay until you contact me). We can’t use paypal right now,because we change the credit card account number in my paypal account & will be active in 10 days .If you have already sent the money,please cancel your order,in any case contact me for new payment instructions . We will make the transaction through eBay system.

Your purchase:

Item title: Brand New Nokia 5800 8gb xpress music (vodafone lock)
    Item number: 260402108864

price insurance
    Included in the total price (optional)
    US 0.00 Sales discounts
    (-) or charges (+)
    US 00.00 shipping/handling

Please send me your shipping address & I will contact ebay for a new invoice with new payment instructions.

Again, thank you for your business.”

The seller is based in Swindon apparently so i’m worried about the US shipping etc…

I have replied telling the seller i am not happy to pay without using paypal and can he refund my payment ASAP.

Does this seem dodgey to you and if so, what can i do about it?

Many thanks

uplink
    Free Member

Don’t respond to anything other than through ebay – do not reply directly to emails

call Ebay

Drac

Hmmm! Don’t read quite right does it and even for someone in Swindon his English is poor. Try calling his bluff saying your in Swindon later this week on business and you can pay by cash.

ttf
    Free Member

Damn… i have replied with the same message through my hotmail account and ebay account… What shall i do?

stratobiker
    Free Member

Just Ignore it.
    Do not reply.

I dunno how they do that, but I had something similar a while back. Even posted on here asking if anyone knew how it was done.

In my case, I knew it was bogus because I’d already paid the seller and he’d acknowledged payment.

HTH
    SB

ttf
    Free Member

Thats what was even more strange! I got an e-mail soon after the sale saying “thanks, i will post phone via recorded delivery tommorow, Cheers, Paul”… I’m really worried about it all now, should i be?

barca
    Free Member

Ignoring it would be the very best advice if it hadn’t been for this immortal line “However, last night (after paying £200 via paypal)”
    I’d be on the phone to Paypal and Ebay right now. Sod email.

konabunny
    Free Member

if i emailed the same message to yourebayusername@gmail, hotmail, yahoo etc – would it reach you? just a guess of your email address based on your ebay username.

uplink
    Free Member

contact the seller through Ebay & ask him if everything has gone through OK

ignore emails – use only the messages page on ebay

ttf
    Free Member

yes – if you put my username infront of my hotmail address it would be correct… oh god

samuri
    Free Member

As uplink says, contact the seller seperately through ebay. Sounds like a scam to me.

MikeG

As long as you paid following the links through ebay to paypal and the receipt from paypal matches the user name from ebay I think you will be ok.

Sounds like the kind of speculative scam where the scammer hopes to get to you before you pay the genuine seller. The idea being that you follow the ‘new’ payment instructions and the scammer disapears into the distance.

I’d still phone ebay/paypal to report it and check with the seller that he’s received the money.

I’d also use a different email address for paypal etc that isn’t ‘your user name’@wherever.com then you won’t see these speculative scams.

Good Luck

mysterymurdoch
    Free Member

As above, ignore it and don’t worry. Go to ebay and send the genuine seller another comment, say you apologise for your previous email but you had been contacted by a scammer. The guy has nothing to do with that email.

hora
    Free Member

Confused from Manchester here, you paid £200 (alot!) for a phone with essentially no warranty?!

Spongebob
    Free Member

I’m pretty sure you can withdraw payment through Paypal wihin a day or so of making a payment.

Also, you have Paypal protection up to £500.

Go to your eBay and open the Dispute console and file a complaint agianst the item and seller.

Good luck.

The Nokia 5800 is a great phone. I have had one for a few weeks now and am very impressed with it. Why didn’t/don’t you get one free on an 18 month on contract?

STATO
    Free Member

ttf – i dont think anyone has clearly said this yet but the email you quoted is a common occurence if you bid on expensive electronic items. The e-mail will be nothing to do with the auction and should be ignored, they are trying (and its seems they achieved 😆 ) panic you into responding. As you said you have had a response from the seller directly so you should be ok, to be safe id probably still do what mysterymurdoch reccomends.

Olly
    Free Member

we change the credit card account number in my paypal account & will be active in 10 days

you could just say your happy to wait ten days thank u very much you filthy scammer….

amaan
    Free Member

As long as you didn’t reply by clicking on the page on the email (in your spam box), you should be OK, as it sounds like a phishing scam.

They are basically trying to panic you into logging on through the fake email page (it will look like ebay) to get hold of your log in username and password.

If you did log in through the dodgy page, I suggest you change your password asap and let ebay know what happend.

hora
    Free Member

I still can’t beleive someone would pay £200 for a sodding mobile from ebay 😯

woffle
    Free Member

I still can’t beleive someone would pay £200 for a sodding mobile from ebay

People pay more for bike bits on the classifieds here with a whole lot less protection and accountability 🙂

sq225917
    Free Member

change your ebay password, just in case you’ve been phished, and remove you CC details from your account for a while just to be safe, sometimes they’ll phish you but wait to use it.

and ignore the email its bullshit, contact the seller direct through ebay and explain what’s happened. Sounds like he’s straight up and 1005 unaware of the phish.

Drac

People pay more for bike bits on the classifieds here with a whole lot less protection and accountability

And the sell them a month later only to buy the same thing again 6 months later.

Jamie
    Free Member

hora:

I still can’t beleive someone would pay £200 for a sodding mobile from ebay [8O]

Why?

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Urgent help please – worried about scamming’ is closed to new replies.