Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Urban Exploration
  • Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

some very intersting stuff on here…..

http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/index.php

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member
    z1ppy

I do love these sites, they make even the exploration of city drainage system interesting…

Another site:
    http://www.urbexforums.co.uk/

Oh and that steam reserve is great

lowey

Totally addicted to 28DL. The quality of some of the pictures is amazing.

z1ppy

loving the trespass tag, on a a mtb site where ‘cheekiness’ is the accepted norm…

flyingmonkeycorps

I’ve some reports up on 28DL, same username as here iirc… There’s some proper amazing stuff on there, wish I had more time for it!

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

flyingmonkeycorps:

What are the ethics with regard to trespass? is everything considered fair game?

I read one report where the fellas that got into the site were quite annoyed with a member of the public for questioning them about what they were up to. I would have thought that not being seen would be part of a successful trip, so public intervention would be a bit of a fail.

Don’t want to get into a discussion on rights and wrongs from the perspective of law, more interested in any rules that get adopted among practitioners. A bit like the cheeky riding guide or the leave no trace approach to wild camping.

flyingmonkeycorps

I think it varies from person to person to be honest… I tend to be very much the opposite to that, if I’m questioned or caught (not happened yet, but probably will some time!) I’ll be very polite, explain what I’m doing and if someone’s persistently belligerent I’ll bugger off… But that doesn’t mean I’m not coming back! Does mean I’m VERY picky about who I explore with, the last thing I want is someone kicking off and causing trouble when it’s much easier to just walk away.

Publically I know 28dl is very anti breaking in… I wouldn’t like to comment on whether all members follow that, but I do tend to. I can honestly say I’ve never broken into anywhere or even forced my way in, though I have found some fairly, shall we say imaginative ways into places.

I believe the law is actually pretty simple – as long as you don’t break in the only offence you’re committing is trespass, which is a civil not a criminal offence. If you DO break in then that’s breaking and entering, which is criminal.

beamers

I spent days crawling through those websites when someone alerted me to their presence.

Properly addictive stuff indeed.

There was one particular explore which involved gaining entry to a still floating decommissioned submarine. Cool.

Gary_C

Theres a site within 1/2mile of my house which has been the subject of a few write ups & photos on 28DL. Its quite interesting & eerie to see the state of the building now as opposed to 3 or 4 years ago when it was still in use & I was a regular visitor to it.

tony_m
    Free Member

This one’s a guy off another forum I’m on…

Urbanxphotography

maccruiskeen

Funnily enough I was vicariously doing a bit of armchair urban exploring this afternoon, stumbled across this rather amusing pic from inside an abandoned turkey farm

Cougar

Dunno as it’s exactly the same thing, but I did a Tunnel Tour in Manchester not so long ago. Very interesting, seeing what’s right under your feet.

_tom_
    Free Member

I love reading the reports and looking at the pictures from the abandoned places – would like to do it myself but there’s not much around here.

Creepy pics of abandoned mental institutions are the best 🙂

codybrennan
    Free Member
    MikeT-23
    Free Member

I’m here tomorrow:

http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=28945&highlight=Cumbernauld

…as I am every week.
    Being the only keyholder at the moment, I have to do a walkround once a week for insurance reasons.
    It can be reet spooky when you’re in by yourself. Plus, it’s colder inside than it is outside. Not my highlight of the day.

Coyote
    Free Member

Some real good stuff on those. Just what I needed, another way to waste the day!

unsponsored
    Free Member

Some excellent pics on the site.

dmiller
    Free Member

MikeT-23 – I stay not far from there… Recently while a little bit tipsy I tried to talk a mate into starting an indoor paint-ball company in that site!

Also its really annoying having the road next to that site closed – and its meant to be closed to late 2012 at least ffs!

grum
    Free Member

I dabble, got a mate who’s really into it and he’s shown me a few places near me. It’s pretty fascinating – can be quite scary/exciting at times climbing walls and dodging security etc

St George’s Works-8 by Grum Wynne, on Flickr

St George’s Works-14 by Grum Wynne, on Flickr

St George’s Works-2 by Grum Wynne, on Flickr

_MG_1564_5_6 by Grum Wynne, on Flickr

P1040544_45_46_47_48_49_50_tonemapped by Grum Wynne, on Flickr

P1040537_38_39_40_41_42_43 by Grum Wynne, on Flickr

P1040442_3_4_5_6_7_8 by Grum Wynne, on Flickr

_MG_1605_6_7 by Grum Wynne, on Flickr

St George’s Works-15 by Grum Wynne, on Flickr

globalti
    Free Member

Been looking around those Urbex sites for a few years now. Here’s a good one: http://www.angelfire.com/extreme4/kiddofspeed/ this is a woman who goes motorbiking around Chernobyl, some amazing pics there of the meltdown and the abandoned area around the plant.

Mrs Gti and I got into the wharfs under Manchester Gmex years before it became an official tour; we sweet-talked the bloke who held the keys and he took us down a manhole cover in the car park, we climbed down a long ladder and found ourselves in a massive underground complex where good used to be transshipped between the Midland Railway terminus, which is the Gmex, and lighters, which took them by an underground canal under what is now Granada TV and into the docks at Water Street for loading onto ocean freighters. Fascinating place.

nbt

I believe the law is actually pretty simple – as long as you don’t break in the only offence you’re committing is trespass, which is a civil not a criminal offence. If you DO break in then that’s breaking and entering, which is criminal.

Except there’s no such thing a “breaking and entering”, that’s an American offence. The equivalent in the UK woiuld be Burglary which is when you enter a premises without authority (trespass) with the intent to commit damage, injury, rape or theft, OR having entered premises no such intention, subsequently commit injury, theft or rape.

Thus, if you enter into a place knowing that you’ll have to break a window or door or something to get further, that’s burglary, which is an arrestable offence. If you just wander in and something accidentally breaks, it’s not – might be aggravated trespass or something, not quite sure as I’m not a copper (any more)

molgrips
    Free Member

Is deliberately breaking something not criminal damage anyway? Which you might need to do to get in?

I thought trespass WAS a criminal offence now due to the CJA?

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

these two are worth a look…

The STATE Cinema

Funeral Parlour

jon1973
    Free Member

It seems incredible how the contents of some of these building seems to have been frozen in time, like the State Cinema for example. It’s like a museum. Can’t believe they haven’t been stripped bare.

The funeral palour as well, tins of stuff just sitting on the shelf – like the Marie Celeste (sp)

Also a real crime that some of these building have been allowed to fall in to such disrepair, some of the achitecture is fantastic.

I can see I’m going to waste hours on this site.

beamers

That Chernobyl website is amazing. That place has got to be one of the best Urbex locations on the planet.

grum
    Free Member

Those State Cinema pics are awesome.

As I understand it you are on very dodgy ground if you have any tools with you like a crowbar. I wouldn’t be up for breaking in to somewhere – climbing over walls etc seems like fair game to me though, regardless of what the law says. 🙂

nbt

As I understand it you are on very dodgy ground if you have any tools with you like a crowbar.

Going equipped, proving intent as I mentioned above. Hopping over a wall should be fine as long as you are careful

MikeT-23
    Free Member

dmiller – you’re not alone in that. We showed a prospective tenant around a couple of weeks ago – he wanted to use the height offered by the tower for an indoor climbing wall, and the rest of the floorspace for other stuff, like skateboard park and so on.
    There’s a LOT of work needs done to strip the inners out and get it back to a raw state from where it can be made more adaptable, and it seems the owners aren’t keen to spend the cash right now.
    When next I see them, I’ll mention your indoor paintball idea if you like.

Plus, that closed road…is it the one over the canal that you’re referring to? You’re right, if so. PITA, especially as it offered a good wee short cut to the back road if that M80 is being rammed wi’ traffic. What are they daein’ tae it?

dmiller
    Free Member

Mike – yeah thats the one. Its a total pain in the hole as I stay in Banton and its handy to be able to nip to Asda and B&Q that way… I think there is a serious problem with subsidence. It used to have a pretty big dip in it just after the first corner – I could bottom out the corsa on it if I went much above 20 so it was a pretty big dip. They dealt with it in usual council fashion but putting a sign up for the dip in the road and it stayed like that for a bit then about two months later a big sink hole opened in the field next to the road!

I cycled up that way on Saturday to see what the deal was and they have concrete blocking the road on either side of the dip and the sink hole in the field has a very deep look to it so I think they worried about the road doing the same.I’m pretty certain there might be mine works in the area (my Grandad used to be a miner in the area) and thats causing the problem. Apart from the concrete there doesnt seem to be much going on so I dont know if the councils either out of cash and cant afford to do anything with it or if North Lanarkshire are hoping Falkirk council might pick up so of the bill as its close to the boundary… Or if all the local road workers are making a killing on the M80 and the council just cant get anyone to do any work. Its clearly pissing off a lot of people as I got a puncture just short of the concrete and while I faffed around sorting it loads of people kept driving up to see if they could sneak through.

As for the paint-ball I would never have the money to do anything about it… although if someone does let them know I wouldn’t mind a shot at managing the place!

Seriously though a climbing wall in there would do really well – just off the M80 etc. I would go! And it couldnt need much work to adapt it for that surely?

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Urban Exploration’ is closed to new replies.