Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Upgrading to lighter rims
  • ir_bandito
    Free Member

I’m wondering about replacing the rims on one of my bikes. The present ones are fine, but they’re not too light.
    Is it worth the cost and rebuild time to save a mere 120grams per rim?

letmetalktomark

I guess the answer is probably yes.

240g over two wheels + the option to look at spokes? Thats 1/2lb of weight form an “important” area.

How heavy are your current rims?

What bike is it for?

On a side do you still have your Voodoo?

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’d say no TBH, unless you can build yourself, and the hubs are in good nick, and you’re lightening the bike otherwise, going tubeless etc.

xiphon
    Free Member

Entirely depends on the rest of the bike spec – and your weight.

No point in loosing 0.5lb from the bike if you weigh 15st…

D0NK

Is it worth the cost and rebuild time to save a mere 120grams per rim?

do your current ones need replacing? and will the new ones be strong enough for you and the riding you do?
    if yes and yes then go for it.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Unless you’re going for a wheelset that is both extremely light and strong.

I test rode two bikes yesterday, a Carbon TRC and a Carbon Nomad; the TRC was almost 4lbs lighter than my current bike, the Nopmad was 2lbs lighter but both had wheels that were substantially heavier than mine and neither felt any lighter or quicker uphill than mine.

Swapping my wheels onto the Carbon Nomad though made that bike feel like a rocket compared to mine. Remarkably they also make the bike faster down hill. I let the guy I borrowed the Nomad from keep the wheels for a day or two and he timed himself down his favourite run (using Strava) and knocked two seconds off his previous best time.

The wheels are Easton Carbon Havens BTW and the bikes were from Pedal & Spoke in Peaslake.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Yes, I still have the Voodoo, that has DT5.1ds that are light and strong. 🙂

Its for my belt-drive Kona A. Presently got Hope Pro2 hubs on EN321 (570g) rims. I’m happy enough to build them myself (if I can find the time)

Rims are in perfect nick, so my usual habit of only upgrading when bits need replacing is out of the window. This is an upgrade for upgrade’s sake. Still, means they’ll have some resale value.

Options are Superstar XC430 (430g) or mboy’s Mavic 819s (450g) in the classifieds. The 819s would give me the option of running tubeless tyres too for more weight saving.

Oh yeah, I’m about 12st. Bike is about 27lbs I think.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

I’d say yes, but suppose it depends what type of rider you are

I went from
    DT 4.1+Michelen2.1+Tubes
    to
    Stans-Olympics+RacingRalph2.1+Tubeless.

Im reasonably light 70kg/11 stone. I found a massive difference in times of speed across Berkshire type forest singletrack.

But if im going anywhere with lots of rocks I tend to put on my old wheels back on mainly cos the tires are a bit bigger. But also because I dont want to damage the wheels.

D0NK

that has DT5.1ds that are light and strong.

I presume that smiley face was there for a reason >500gm and pretty soft, I’m still using one currently but wouldn’t recommend them

819s need inserts which push the weight over 500g UST tyres don’t save you any weight, TR or normal tyres run tubeless may tho.
    I’d say arch ex with tubeless would be a better bet for losing weight, or crests if they are strong enough for you.

IA

That 450g for the 819s doesn’t include the nipple thingies*

*forget the correct word

cynic-al
    Free Member

819s weigh more than that once you add on the nipples IIRC.

If it were me, given the work/time/hassle, I’d bu putting something super light on there like stans, to make it worthwhile.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

smiley face was that I’m happy with them. Light and strong and being soft helps. I destroyed one smashing into a rick just after pinch-puncturing. Bent the rim right out of shape, but it didn’t shatter, so I was at least able to gnetly coast home. replaced it with similar.

slimjim78
    Free Member

not true

njee20
    Free Member

819s need inserts which push the weight over 500g UST tyres don’t save you any weight, TR or normal tyres run tubeless may tho.

This and:

If it were me, given the work/time/hassle, I’d bu putting something super light on there like stans, to make it worthwhile.

This.

Arch Ex or lighter, or I’d not bother.

cynic-al
    Free Member

*high fives*

Pukeko
    Free Member

Lighten your back pack! Qty 2 std Mars bars = 120g ………

relliott6879
    Free Member

IAMember

That 450g for the 819s doesn’t include the nipple thingies*

*forget the correct word

Eyelets?

neil853
    Free Member

I’m faced with the same dilema, I have 819’s (which as someone else has said weight in at around 510g per rim) and I was looking at dropping right down to a stans crest. I think I could get away with that rim but I just can’t be bothered with the hassel, that and I like the little extra security the 819’s give.

However if you are trying to loose weight off the bike, thats the place that will have the most effect, not just purely in weight terms but in what you can ‘feel’ out on the trail.

Pukeko
    Free Member

Yeah, +1 what Neil says^^. Just changing from heavy wintery DH type tyres to light fast tyres made a HUGE difference. I’ll still carry your Mars bars tho……..

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Upgrading to lighter rims’ is closed to new replies.