Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Upgrade time!
  • tjr666
    Free Member

Ok so I have had the hankering to start brekaing my current steed down and building up a new steed…something that is a ‘do it all’ hardtail that is good on long rides (around the Peak District mainly) and for tackling more gnarly stuff so i can start learning jumps/drops etc…

Currently have a Kona Cindercone 2012 model, my first thoughts are with upgrading the frame to a Santa Cruz Chameleon frame and then putting some beefier forks (140mm?) on there to replace the current TK Recons…I am going under the assumption that the Chameleon can ride fine with 100mm forks so can transplant frame and ride whilst I save up for new bouncers etc…

Good choice? Would it make that much difference really? Have toyed with moving to a FS rig (never had one) but everything I read about FS bikes leads me to want to stick with Hardtails (more fun, better rider it makes etc…).

Any other frames to consider for similar duties? Cheers!

Rorschach
    Free Member

(he said steed)

colournoise

Let me be the first ‘I ride this so it must be best’ reply.

Having said that, and in spite of the use of the st**d word, I reckon it does fit the bill pretty well.

Will ride fine with 100mm forks (some would argue it’s actually better with 100-120mm than 140-150mm).

slainte 8) rob

munrobiker
    Free Member

Evil Sovereign is the answer. Ignore all other answers.

SaxonRider

Currently have a Kona Cindercone 2012 model, my first thoughts are with upgrading the frame to a Santa Cruz Chameleon frame and then putting some beefier forks (140mm?)

So you’re not really ‘breaking your current steed down’ so much as you’re just getting a new bike bit by bit, then.

Oh, and that blue bike ^ is lovely…

RustySpanner

I have no idea what that blue bike above is, but apart from the silly seat post, white rims and lack of big ring it’s very, very beautiful indeed.

SaxonRider

Yeah, the seat post thing is a bit weird, and the lack of a big ring a bit off-putting. But the white rims are nice, and the blue colour stunning.

What forks are those?

ask1974
    Free Member

Sorry OP I can’t help at all. But I did want to say to Colournoise that his bike looks the nuts. Do what he did.

colournoise

Thanks (I think) for the comments – once you know what it is though the hating will probably start.

It’s a gritstone BFe in XS – the blueish tinge is my odd way of processing photos.

Seatpost might look iffy but does an admirable job of getting out of the way when I need it to. Forks are lowly-ish Marzzochi 44s but they work well and more importantly have black stanchions!

Fits the OP’s brief I think – fine for long XCish rides (mine’s 30lb but the Azonic wheels are stupid heavy so could easily be built lighter) and certainly up to the jumps and drops side of things.

slainte 😀 rob

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Upgrade time!’ is closed to new replies.