Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • underfloor heating question
  • firestarter
    Free Member

my house has under floor heating with concrete floors. Im just wondering how deep this is normally set at . Any one know if its a standard sort of depth. Ta

vikingboy
    Free Member

All from memory a few years ago when i did mine….usually a few inches of screed on top if memory serves me right….it can vary…prob no less than 1.5" though

sure google would pull up some data for you

firestarter
    Free Member

best not drill in a ground anchor then 🙂

mk1fan
    Free Member

The answer is no. Depends what system is used, what the Architect / designer specified as the screed. Is it a new(ish)/redeveloped house? If so contact the developer and ask them.

If not you'll need to investigate into the screed – a corner of a room should be safe to excavate by hand – gently.

firestarter
    Free Member

its an ex council house i was thinking of a ground anchor in the understair cupboard. Im not sure if its heated under there it doesnt feel like it but some of the flooring appears to work and some doesnt around the floor in the house so im worried about digging it up just incase its under there and not working right. Will have a search about for info. House is from sixties i think

project
    Free Member

Depends if its a wet or electric system,Wet meaning water pipes, made of plastic, so they want show up with a metal detector,if its electric you may well drill through the cable and cut the power as well as causing a loud bang.

firestarter
    Free Member

could be a right old pain lol 🙂

teamfinners
    Free Member

Has this house not got walls???

Just put a big Rawleye in the wall and get one of those open end wire lock thingys to go through it.

I use this on tool boxes at work.

project
    Free Member

Why do you want an anchor under the stairs for,to tie the slave to.

Taff
    Free Member

what are you trying to do? The pipes are normally laid within the screed however due to the nature of alying the pipework it is very uncommon that they would get laid in a cupboard. With all the taps open on the manifold does the cupboard floor heat up?

whosthedaddy
    Free Member

Just completed one on a new build ( water pipes ), 65mm screed on top of the pipes is what was specced.

firestarter
    Free Member

the walls of the cupboard are plaster board. Its doesnt get warm but neither does one end of the living room so im not sure what work and what isnt meant to. Im wanting an anchor to put my locks thru as ive a load of moneys worth of bikes under my stairs. Better safe than sorry 🙂

Taff
    Free Member

The underfloor heating coils re laid in loops and spaced about 300mm apart so you get cold spot although sometimes they will be left out of corners because this makes returns harder. I think it wold be a safe bet that there is no coils in the cupboard but your best bet would be to put them in as tight into the corner as possible

On another not you haven't got you consumer units in the same cupboards have you?

project
    Free Member

On another not you haven't got you consumer units in the same cupboards have you?

or a gas meter.

firestarter
    Free Member

no they are in the cupboard next door im guessing theres nothing in there as ive had it on full now and i can feel the heat seems to stop just inside the door frame . I guess i can either carefully dig it or maybe some kind of araldite gluing to the floor . Just not sure how strong it is a builder i know thinks it will be as good just using that but im not so sure

Taff
    Free Member

Don't bother with using araldite. I would take rawlplugs in deep.. don't use the short ones otherwise you'll just crack the top of screed.

Are the gas and electric meters in the cupboard that's closer to the front of the house?

firestarter
    Free Member

yes they are mate why

hora
    Free Member

mi©k you need to sell the 456. This will solve your connudrum 8)

The underfloor heating (from Grand Designs) is circa 1 inch down. I wouldnt risk ruining the system TBH.

Why not buy some very heavy cast iron weights. Kettle bells? With a very stout chain fed through them all and into the frame? No opportunist thief will carry the bike out.

Taff
    Free Member

If the bike cupboard is closer to the back of the house then you don't have the risk of the electric or gas mains running under that section… you don't want to be damaging the main feeds although they should be in or under the concrete deck bleow the screed anyway.

If it was me I would go into a corner and try. You shouldn't have any coils in a cupboard but you never know.

You said above that you had stud walls? Could you not secure into the studs and secure fixings ie the allen key type with a post in the centre?

firestarter
    Free Member

lol 🙂 the two suggestions are possible i guess. One of those shed shackles could work well if i can manage to fit it . Thanks all 🙂

teamfinners
    Free Member

OK there loads of ways to approach this.

1. find the stud work and fit an eye into one.

2. glue a piece of 4×1 to the floor with gripfill or ctc.

3. just glue the anchor striaght to the floor with ctc

All your trying to do is stop an opportunist wiping your bike anything that resists more than a quick tug is going to stop them. they'll just go for the telly or dvd etc.

CTC is a new gluey type stuff I saw it at the builders merchants awesome stuff, stick anything to anything and the anythings will break before the adhesive.

Theres probably other ways to do it to but without seeing the situation difficult to say.

4. screw eye into stairs?

firestarter
    Free Member

some good ideas i will have to investigate the stud wall and have a look at the ctc stuff . Thank

wwaswas

the other alternative is just to use a suitable 'mould' and make yourself a block of concrete that you place under the stairs with the ground anchor attached to. Even a 'builders bucket' full of concrete is goign to stop them lifting the bikes out without a lot of difficulty. Depends how much the aesthetics matter really. you could paint it a pretty colour 😉

firestarter
    Free Member

its more the space thats the problem with that really as ive five bikes slotted in with no pedals on and no room for something like that

wwaswas

pour a load of concrete behind the plasterboard and screw into that?

firestarter
    Free Member

thats an idea 🙂

hora
    Free Member

Mick – Im in Hudds this afternoon….it wouldnt take long to meet you know….. 07957 6FIVE6 1FIVE6 😉

firestarter
    Free Member

lol im working mate on here on my phone 🙂

matthewlhome
    Free Member

My underfloor heating (wet pipes) is set onto insulating polystyrene bits on top of the concrete. Not good for ground anchors 🙂

teamfinners
    Free Member

Sorry I made a mistake the stuff is called CT-1 and can be found here

firestarter
    Free Member

cheers fella

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘underfloor heating question’ is closed to new replies.