Viewing 25 posts - 81 through 105 (of 105 total)
  • Under-used words…
  • clubber
    Free Member

I’m disappointed that no one has put forward ‘poppycock’. A word that I associate with bow-tie wearing professor types but which always makes me smile…

toab
    Free Member

Myrmidon – there’s certainly enough of them about…

Joxster
    Free Member

I’m flabbergasted that feltching isn’t on the list.

thepurist

What a lot of piffle!

BillMC

pantechnicon (sp?),cognoscenti, perambulator,charabang, jolly japes, indubitably, cad, trollop, flippertyjibbet, cantankerous, obsequious, concatenation, conflation, dystopia, dysgenesis, dishevilled, unkempt, uncouth (personally I’m couth, kempt and shevilled), porcine, assinine, bovine, feline. Nuff.

tyger
    Free Member

Does anyone recoginise the word “Ramtallian” (sp) meaning someone with a round “behind” ?

Jezkidd
    Free Member

Pantheous

nicko74

Berk is one that I’ve started using again to great acclaim (from my gf).
    Merkin I do quite like.
    Parochial I tend to drop into conversation, but I wish I could use peripatetic more often. Or even remember what it means

Tebbalot
    Free Member

I quite like ‘metamerism’

JulianA
    Free Member

Contumely. Seems appropriate for a lot of the posts here.

Ticklinjock

Haven’t heard “Sploonging” for a while, but now the winter is here I’m sure it’ll return.

yunki
    Free Member

you lot don’t get yonselves down to Devonium for your drinking often enough if you are unappy about these words being underused..

I often hear almost all the words listed here mentioned at least once a week.. sometimes all in the same conversation..
    even when there’s a helluva hullabulloo and the occupants of the conversation have to shout to be heard above it..

Cougar

This hullabulloo, do you hear it at a hootenanny?

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Guddle

and

peely-wally

woffle
    Free Member

My wife recently found a Sussex dialect dictionary from the late 1800’s in a 2nd hand bookshop. There are right deedy words and phrases in that.

That aside, my dad called my brother ‘cack-handed’ the other day. Hadn’t heard that in a while.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

finicky

pernickety

plop_pants
    Free Member

Strumpet.

drain

Spiffing.

Lashings.

And other Enid Blyton-type words.

nicko74

brouhaha is another one I like

Hohum
    Free Member

I like the word (and thing) “quim”

StefMcDef
    Free Member

In the supermarket car park tonight, I was driving along one of the “aisles” looking for a space when some bawbag in an Audi 4×4 breenged (Scots word meaning to lunge quickly and randomly) out in front of me. With his lights off.

Apart from confirming my prejudices about drivers of certain marques, and of 4x4s, it made me think that living dahn sarf, I hadn’t heard the word “breenged” for a while and that it is in fact a quite splendid word.

jimmy

“Boff”

As in, Southern Yeti, why were you on STW and not boffing her?

Davesport

Klunge…..Used to geat effect in the Inbetweeners.

D.

TiRed

whence – got that one in my PhD thesis – not bad considering the subject matter (“A random walk forgets whence it came”).

GlitterGary
    Free Member

My personal favourite is ‘poppycock’, preferably with a strong profane word ahead of it.

Viewing 25 posts - 81 through 105 (of 105 total)

The topic ‘Under-used words…’ is closed to new replies.