Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Ubuntu (operating system)
  • Olly
    Free Member

anyone here running Ubuntu?
    im currently downloading the files, rummaging around for a blank CD, and backing up all my music and photos on to a shiney new 1TB hard drive.

any praises/horror stories of the open-source-graphic-interfaced-version-of-Linux operating system?

smokey_jo

I’m running Linux Mint which is a derivative of Ubuntu, only problems I had was getting my shonky old graphics card working but all ok now. Still unable to sync my mtp based mp3 player but other than that no problems at all.

konahead

Did exactly the same as you 2 weeks ago after suffering serious hard disk problems with XP.
    So far so good with Ubuntu and Gnome.

chvck
    Free Member

I was running ubuntu as my main OS but have swapped back to XP as a main. I still use ubuntu for dev work as I find it much better for that. Only problem I have with it is that I find it a little buggy and sometimes unstable (will probably get shot for saying that I find XP more stable than ubuntu now).

I have no issues with the gfx at all and have managed to get a couple of windows games running under wine too 🙂

wildrnes
    Free Member

ubuntu here been using it 2 years and it is superb

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Love ubuntu and the idea behind it. I use windows vista myself but I am a bit of a knock off Nigel when it comes to software ect… If I had to pay for the programs I run on Windows then ubuntu would be my choice of OS.`

brakeswithface

I run Ubuntu at home, work and on my laptop. No problems here whatsoever. Tried fedora, suse, PCLinuxOS and a few others and keep coming back to ubuntu.

desf
    Free Member

Yep good experiences with Ubuntu here too on the spare pc.

Have had to keep an XP PC for the rest of the family for the moment as they are resistant to change.

hot_fiat

Its really good. The ony issues I’ve had are with the wireless config on one of my old laptops. Plug & play is probably at the level windows 98 was at, otherwise very impressed indeed.

ski
    Free Member

I am new to Ubuntu, but found the install process a breeze, setting up my wireless connection could not have been easier, so might vary depending on your age of laptop?

Could do with a good ebook though to work out how to install stuff that’s not mentioned in the add/remove option.

The extra HD space is useful after coming from XP too

😉

chvck
    Free Member

Oh, another thing that is absolutely wicked on ubuntu is apt-get and wget. Apt-get may depend on your package manager but basically ubuntu has repositories (that is software stores online really) that you can download packages (programs) from i.e. ‘apt-get install firefox’ will download AND install firefox for you. You just need to find the package name for the software that you want to install – google usually helps here.

That’s the thing that i miss most about ubuntu when im using xp!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Ubuntu (operating system)’ is closed to new replies.