Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 87 total)
  • U2 at Glastonbury BBC 2 now
  • deadlydarcy
    Free Member

JY’s getting all political on our asses from behind his keyboard. Yeah, but can YOU ring Bill Clinton? Eh? Hmmm? No? 😉

RichPenny
    Free Member

Any of you lot lobbied world leaders on behalf of those less fortunate than you?

I’ve lobbed faeces at world leaders on behalf of those less fortunate than me. Does that count? On reflection, I should have lobbed it at Bono 😀

M6TTF
    Free Member

That was frickin awful ! Never been a fan, however I will follow is a bloody good tune. Maybe bongo and Chris Martin can go to Vegas and get married

Junkyard
    Free Member

but can YOU ring Bill Clinton? Eh? Hmmm? No?

he does not inhale why would I want to hang with him 😉

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Edit: Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

and good night x

headfirst
    Free Member

Junky, they wrote off a fair bit of third world debt…(I appreciate Itwasn’t him alone)

thekingisdead
    Free Member

There’s only one man in music more annoying than Bono: Morrisey. And he’s been on tonight too. Bad times.

M6TTF
    Free Member

Don’t forget Chris Martin – and John lyddon

headfirst
    Free Member

Anyways, don’t know the stuff they’re playing now, should’ve stopped after bloody sunday. Off to bed now, got a ride in the morning!

headfirst
    Free Member

James blunt?

stanfree
    Free Member

You cant take there back catalogue away from them , when they just play instead of preaching there still good.

scotabroad

Maybe I am the wrong side of 40 now but watching them on telly I have to say I am fair enjoying it and think they are bl++dy brilliant, this may not be a “hip” comment but they blow all the bands into the weeds (ps I am not a big fan of U2 or Bono but their set was fantastic)………..

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I think to be fair, you gotta hand it to a band who fly in from the US, headline Glastonbury, then have to fly back out and do it all again in a few days. They did look tired.

pop-larkin
    Free Member

I saw u2 in the early 80’s and they were great- tonight looked a bit like going through the motions and I thought Bono was off key lots- Primal Scream were brilliant!

derp
    Free Member

Wu-Tang on the red button.

Job done.

kimbers

wu tang were the only band on the line up i wanted to see

bring da mo fo ruckus!

snakebite
    Free Member

U2 WERE reet good, and I’m not a big fan….

I can just about stomach Zane Lowe, as he shows some intelligence in his critique, if a little too enthusiastic at times.

Jo Wiley however, might as well just blow off everyone she interviews.

Cougar

You know, I wasn’t expecting the content of this thread.

I’ve never been a fan of U2. I don’t dislike them, I own none of their albums, I appreciate that they’re a big band but it doesn’t really do it for me.

The set was no better or worse than I expected. They were very good, but it doesn’t do it for me.

The Edge is a moderately above average guitarist but an exceptional guitar technician. His production values are obvious in and out of U2. You can criticise Bono all you like but he’s still got a belting voice. Adam Clayton in any other band would be a bloody legend, and Larry Mullen always struck me as having more potential than U2 ever afforded him.

What I took away from tonight was, they’ve still got it, though “it” isn’t for me. I can appreciate it, they’re brilliant, but I won’t be buying tickets any time soon.

heebyjeeby

Wish there had been a bit less U2 and a bit more Primal Scream…..the two songs from screamadelica sounded fantastic and every bit as relevant and fresh as they did twenty (yes 20) years ago.

What heeby said ^^^^^

Oh, and Lauren Lavern never fails to be crap – consistent at least.

Praying that the Fleet Foxes don’t grace my telly screen any time soon…

stanfree
    Free Member

Fleet Foxes are truly awful , I’d Imagine singlespeeders are FF fans.

NZCol

I think their back catalogue is incredible. I was lucky enough to share a first class cabin with bongo and the guitar god quite a few years back. They engaged in sensible adult conversation and were thoroughly nice during the whole flight. I felt safe as god would never down a plane bongo was on.

TheFlyingOx

James blunt?

You take that back!

The man is pure class. Witty, intelligent, and likes to swear profusely during live TV broadcasts. What’s not to like?

yunki
    Free Member

I don’t think that I’ve really enjoyed their music since ‘the Joshua Tree’ but I really quite enjoy the preaching..

All this trendy faux right-wing ‘Bono is a nob’ twuntery is symbolic of everything that is wrong with the western world

Wish there had been a bit less U2 and a bit more Primal Scream

now that’s a very valid point

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Primal Scream are great! Screamadelica had very little to do with Primal Scream – on their own, they’d never have come up with an album like that. I still really like them though. I’ve seen them live, hmm, three times now – always have a good time. But you’re kidding yourself if you think they can perform anything like as well as U2 (whatever your taste in music) – Gillespie can’t sing to save his life and the rest of the band are pretty loosely tied together at times.

Live – they’re not that tight at all I’m afraid. And, yes, I thought the two tracks sounded great too.

yunki
    Free Member

tight..? singing ability..?

I suspected that you had no soul.. this confirms it..

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I suspected that you had no soul.. this confirms it..

😆

I sold it to Bono to stop him clicking his fingers. I didn’t say I didn’t enjoy the gigs did I – I didn’t have you down as someone who doesn’t read the posts properly then spout bollocks tbh. I suspected your mind is a bit jellied from all the drugs mate. This confirms it.

Junkyard
    Free Member

i hate the travelled about 250 miles as an impoverisher student to see them live spending more than my weekly “wage” to see them. Booby was so pissed he walked on and grabbed the mike like it was a lampost and fell over. The songs literally started with the drummer hitting the bass drum and waving his stick whilst shouting 1 , 2 , 3, 4 at the guitarist. Even with this he could not start the song in time. They switched his guitar off in the end and he then tried to mug the rhythm guitarist and was removed from stage by his own roadies. Very rock and roll for the autobiography but I felt robbed if I am honest.

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

what deadly darcy said.

enfht
    Free Member

My one year old boy spontaneously dances to anything with a melody or the slightest rhythm.

I’m happy to say that U2’s “music” doesn’t even register to him. Brings a tear to my eye, it makes me so proud

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

RichPenny – Member

I’ve lobbed faeces at world leaders

Rich you are my hero! 😀

I would quite like to lob my own faeces at Bono. And some World Leaders too.

U2 are one of the most overrated baynds in history. But then, I can choose not to listen to their Bonollocks, so all is well at Casa Elfin.

yunki
    Free Member

I didn’t have you dpown as someone who doesn’t read the posts properly then spout bollocks tbh

oooooooh..! get her

I suspected your mind is a bit jellied from all the drugs mate. This confirms it.

mmmmmmmmmmmmm… jelly

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

oooooooh..! get her

Well, if you’re going to throw the insults out sweetie, you have to be man enough to take them back.

yunki
    Free Member

an eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind..
    silly billy

I wasn’t meaning to be insulting.. just a bit of friendly ribbing.. I took the tone of your post referring to ‘folk kidding themselves’ as a bit condescending so I thought the friendly ribbing was justified..

my mistake..
    sorry pal.. 🙄

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

if i’d paid good money to go and see a band who’ve been touring for nearly 30 years and they were using prompt for song lyrics (both bono and Larry had screens) I’d be absolutely livid. smacks of sitting on vast piles of money and playing out every now and then to satisfy Bono’s god complex.

i switched over to listen to Heidi on Radio 1 as soon as i spotted the prompt.

I did however like when Zaine Low got all upset because Lauren Lavern didn’t let him smell U2’s soup

he really is a prize cock

IdleJon

and they were using prompt for song lyrics (both bono and Larry had screens) I’d be absolutely livid.

I don’t understand why that would spoil your enjoyment of a band? I can’t remember my childrens’ names on an hourly basis, never mind lyrics of a song I might have written 30 years ago.

Anyway, I seem to remember a story from Smash Hits in the early 80s, possibly before The Unforgettable Fire. U2 had to go and buy all of their records before they went on tour because they had forgotten them. It raised a chuckle at the time – somehow a year or two later they became HUUGE!

(Due to distance of time, I may have got the wrong band, decade, details or in fact may have made it up and now think it was true. But I think it was U2. And Smash Hits!)

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I guess if you’re this week’s coolest band, have an album of nine songs, two of which are ok, the rest of which are shite, it’s easy to remember your songs.

Bono spent most of the evening in front of the prompt anyway, not behind.

If I’d flown in from Baltimore the day after a concert, then had to do a headlining slot at Glastonbury, I would hardly even remember my own name 🙂

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I would hardly even remember my own name

You’re a real life Mr Darcy… the deadly bit comes from a nickname at Uni.

HTH.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 87 total)

The topic ‘U2 at Glastonbury BBC 2 now’ is closed to new replies.