Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Tyre swing?
  • cookeaa

I had some new tyres fitted this morning and insisted on keeping the old ones in order to make a tyre swing for for my daughter as we’re planning to re-do our garden with a bit of a play area for her soon…

So has anyone built their nippers a tyre swing?

Any good hints, tips or recommended methods for making a tyre swing?

Any other suggestions for good bits of play equipment that can be fashioned out of an old tyre or two?

nickhart
    Free Member

Did the same, went to decathlon and bought some no stretch rope. Drilled holes in tyre with 12.5mm drill, four off, then went over branch, looped through tyre and then repeated. Then tried it myself………seventeen stone was ok so I let the kids free.
    Still there two months later

Zedsdead
    Free Member

make sure you drill a hole in what will be the lowest point of the tyre to stop water collecting in it.

cookeaa

Zedsdead – good tip, hadn’t even entered my head but drainage holes are a very good idea, cheers

nickhart – Rope you say? I was going to default to using Chain with Bolts and big bastard washers on the grounds that it would be super robust, but rope would be simpler, easier to replace, cheaper and no doubt perfectly up to the job Hmmmm…

I was also considering half burying 2 or 3 in line as sort of stepping stone thing…

Also anyone built a timber seesaw before? I’m getting well into this play area idea now…

And how bad are wood chippings for attracting Cat crap? is there any child-safe repellent treatment available?

tracknicko
    Free Member

nooo dont let the water out! half my youth was spent tipping water out of tyres. that was the best bit!!!

gusamc
    Free Member

don’t tie the rope to a wall, I did as a small child, it hurt a lot, and my mum put me on the kitchen table and proceeded to sew 3 stitches to an anasthetic free forehead

most impressive toy I’ve seen was at Centre Parcs, a 4ft wide 30ish foot long ‘rubber’ mat was slung, suspended, about 3 ft above ground between three trellises (ie 3 fixed points with two runs between them) sag was still about 1 ft above ground, person A lay on mat bewteen trellis 1 and 2 and person B jumped up and down between trellises 2 and 3, by hitting the subsequent wave correctly you could get person A about 3ft up in the air above the mat

if kids are small, tyre, upright embedded in ground, plank roped to top of tyre, might work as seesaw (*all liability disclaimed)

take care if you live on a hill, we found that you can put your mates in a (tractor) tyre and roll them down the hill

if you wrap old foam cushions in waterproof plastic/gaffer taped up that acts as a crash mat

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Tyre swing?’ is closed to new replies.