Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Tyre help, eskar and high roller
  • v666ern
    Free Member

I’ve just bought a second hand high roller to try to see if i can notice a change of grip over my pitch’s standard eskars

so stupid question, should i be sticking the high roller front or back?

My head says i want the most grip at the front…but am i being thick 😕

PS riding is FOD and leckhampton so more dh than xc

captaindanger

yes more grip at the front, and fatter tyre at the front

captaindanger

though that said the eskars are pretty knobbly so i wouldn’t expect high rollers to grip more, particularly if worn

v666ern
    Free Member

so HR front then?

sorry for being stupid 😳

Yetiman
    Free Member

Having run both on the same bike I can confirm that 60a High Rollers have slightly better levels of grip and don’t break away quite so easily as the Eskars, and the Super Tacky version is better still. Stick it on the front.

v666ern
    Free Member

Yetiman,

what did you find worked best on your pitch? I got the HR to try out without any advice, so if you have a better choice of tyre and be happy to try that next time 🙂

cheers

v666ern
    Free Member

CD, ill try it up front but its not quite as unworn as i was expecting! – Still it was only £15

mrplow
    Free Member

Lean the bike under you into corners or you will be on saying that the highroller is vague and washes out. 🙂

Yetiman
    Free Member

v666ern – Sorry for any confusion but I don’t have a Pitch…..I meant that I’d tried both types of tyre on the same bike…i.e my old Dialled Prince Albert, and not the same bike as you.

v666ern
    Free Member

Mr plow – thanks for the heads up!
    Yetiman, thats alright, the advice is greatly received all the same

rocketman
    Free Member

You want the HR on the front, obv 🙂

Depending on how much it’s worn your HR may not feel that much different from a new one. There is definitely a part of the tyre that has no tread and in the corners it will slide but hook up again in a satisfying way as the Minion-esque shoulder tread digs in.

As above the HR works best if you bury it while cornering, if you lean with the bike you will be on your ear.

Northwind

Eskars are brilliant rear tyres but a bit abrupt on the front, and not great with wet rocks… had a slightly fraught day at laggan in the rain last year 😆 Supertacky highroller will be a lot grippier even in their skinny 2.35, but draggier. Maxxpro will be not massively grippier IMO but will have much better manners when it does slide.

v666ern
    Free Member

not minding the draggier angle, im not the fastest!

rocketman
    Free Member

If you enjoy the sensation of riding into a permanent headwind you’ll enjoy SuperTacky HRs

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

If you enjoy the sensation of riding into a permanent headwind you’ll enjoy SuperTacky HRs

+1 they were my only change for a weeks DH in spain on my pitch, I’d forgotten how bad they are! Had to keep checking that the tyre wasn’t rubbing on something!

As for HR Vs Eskar, I think my Eskars have more grip than 2.35 maxxpro high rollers, but the Eskar is also definately draggier. 2.35 Maxxpro high roller up front and DMR MotoR rear for dry trails is my favourite at the moment.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Tyre help, eskar and high roller’ is closed to new replies.