Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Two tier bike rack – ideas please!
  • Mowgli
    Free Member

I’m living in a flat temporarily with nowhere to keep the bikes except the living room. There would be enough space to stack them two-high, but I don’t want to just make a huge shelf. I have four bikes to store – two mountain bikes on the floor, two road bikes above. Whatever It is will have to be free standing as I can’t drill the walls.

Was thinking of two alu channels roughly 2″ x 2″ to sit the wheels in, and some sort of wooden frame to sit on the floor and to lean the inner bike against. The outer bike would have to have an arm or something to support it.

Anyone got any suggestions or links to similar things?

Cheers!

garage-dweller

Frame wants bracing, gallows style at the base based on my experience of home building something similar for my bike store. I have two mountain bikes hung from the top tubes on mine using one of the mont blanc wall hanging racks available from halfords for about £15.

Cannot post a picture at the minute but mine is quite “agricultural” in style although a smarter version could easily be constructed.

Supporting the bikes at the bottom might give them less leverage and so less strain on the joints.

garage-dweller

Couple of other things.
    Mine is made from 97×38 timber
    Braced at the base around 400mm along each of the upright and floor timber at 45deg. If doing it again I would increase that measurement a bit.

swanny853

I bought one of these when living in a shared house in a room not large enough to fit two beds in- http://www.evanscycles.com/products/minoura/bike-tower-stand-ec020487?country=GB&currency=GBP&gclid=CjwKEAjw68ufBRDt0Zmrn4W_8AwSJADcjp1cuYytbdRCLeAZNgVPB15uAs_ndimo6TXw8VlEAYQmQhoCd9Xw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

It was considerably cheaper then and if I was doing it again I’d probably build one but I didn’t have the space to work! It’s still going strong 6 years later and has actually proved very useful as well as easy to move around from house to house. I thought it might give some inspiration

Do you have any bikes you don’t access so often? I have mine set up to hold one high up, take the front wheel off another and turn the bars to keep it thin and put it tight against the wall at the back (on the floor) and then lean the third against it. Surprisingly tidy.

Alternatively, why not three front wheel hooks to hold the bikes vertically? As two are road bikes they should sit pretty close together- angle them if you have spare width but they stick out too far.

TiRed

Three bikes vertical, top to toe would be about the same volume and easier to build a frame with bracing at the feet.

neilwheel
    Free Member

OP yes it should work and I can’t see a better solution without fixing into the wall.

To get the frame stiff, cut some triangular gussets out of plywood and fix to both sides of the timber joints. You will probably need to make the legs into a square and connect the top of the uprights together, for the rigidity to hold four bikes.

If it is something you would want to use again you could get the uprights and arms made from steel or aluminium box section.

towzer

does it need to be two tier ?

how does 4 bikes upright on back wheel (both wheels touching wall) compare spacewise with 2 bikes on floor ala diagrams above (maybe with a couple of lumps[for rear wheels] on floor so that there is no hbar interference on alternate bikes – or take fronts out and put bars sideways with a shelf for wheels and kit above) – see http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-WALL-MOUNTED-MOUNTABLE-CYCLE-STORAGE-HOOK-BIKE-RACK-SPACE-SAVING-CYCLE-STAND-/360572086685?pt=UK_SportGoods_CyclAcces_RL&hash=item53f3c5699d and http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-4-5-Bike-Floor-Wall-Mount-Bicycle-Cycle-Rack-Storage-Locking-Stand-Garage-Shed-/321437847339?pt=UK_SportGoods_CyclAcces_RL&var=&hash=item4ad7304f2b

re two tier *I used to have one of these you could poss ‘bodge’
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BNIB-Bikemate-Bike-Cycle-Stand-Storage-Rack-Wall-Mount-RRP-50-/151385405061?pt=UK_SportGoods_CyclAcces_RL&hash=item233f45f685

Mowgli
    Free Member

Thanks. Will look at vertical, but i think they would stick out further. I could actually get them a lot closer together than shown in my sketch, as the back wheel of one could be almost touching the forks of it’s neighbour.

selkirkbear
    Free Member

You could try an adaptation of the Stolmen Bike Rack, using parts from Ikea. I built one last year for storing bikes in my kitchen.
    Not my example but a three tier one Here

captmorgan
    Free Member

You could use tubes and tube clamps to make something very like your original sketch. take a look here at there double clothes rail kit, else look at square section tubes and the plastic connectors

http://www.themetalstore.co.uk/products/tube-clamp-clothing-rail-kits

Teetosugars
    Free Member

All good advice.. I’m trying to plan my cellar to use as a bike store. But I also want to maximise the space so I can use it for my drum kit/ music room etc..
    its only 4m x 4m and I’ve 7 bikes to store.

Mowgli
    Free Member

I like the galv tube clamp stuff – thanks for that one!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Two tier bike rack – ideas please!’ is closed to new replies.