Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Two suspension bikes?
  • Rickos
    Free Member

So, who owns two suspension bikes? I don’t mean a DH bike and a trail bike, I mean stuff that’s a bit closer in, err, niche/usability everyday. Like trail and XC. Stuff like a Zesty/Orange 5/Stumpjumper and a Scott Spark/Spec Epic, etc.

Do you use both equally-ish? Or do you end up favouring one over the other all the time? I currently have a Stumpy EVO and a Chameleon hardtail and I’m thinking of chopping the hardtail in for something superlight and sprinty to push myself until I puke kind of stuff.

epicsteve
    Free Member

I’ve got an Epic, an S-Works Enduro and an old Enduro SX. The S-Works Enduro is built up fairly light (although still a few pounts heavier than the Epic) and gets more use these days than the other two put together. The SX is built up pretty heavy and gets used more by my son (’cause he likes the looks of it) than by me.

If (God forbid) I had to go down to one mountain bike then a lightish mid-travel full-suss would be my choice.

jonk
    Free Member

I have a five built up light with a triple, air front and rear and light wheels and an alpine with coils, 721’s double and bash and full saint. Its good to have an option depending on terrain but both bikes are not worlds apart in the way they ride.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    RobHilton
    Free Member

Stumpy 120 (frame)
    Felt Virtue (frame)
    08 RM Slayer (frame)
    06 Enduro (built)
    Big Hit (built)
    Session 8 (built)

Like Shimano groupsets, not a huge difference between 1 & the next, but jump 2 and you’ll really notice 🙂

Must have clear out sometime…

andrewh
    Free Member

I have two full bouncers but they are big bike (triple clamps, coild sprung, Minions, 8″ discs, dropper post etc) and XC race bike (carbon, air sprung, ISP, superlight thing) so very different.
    I do however have two identical HT frames, one built as a geared HT and the other a rigid SS.
    Had I the funds I would have a duplicate of the XC full-suss, I can see the point of identical bikes, both in terms of spares etc and also when at a race being able to swap from one to the other without having to think.

nixie

I’ve got a 5.2″ travel trail bike and a 4″ travel SS full sus. Apart from lake of gears there is a fair bit of cross over.

singletrackmind

Yeti 575 + Kona Hei Hei
    140mm or 80mm .
    To be honest its surprising what 80mm of travel will smooth out . We are not talking magic carpet ‘What roots?’ ride , just the ability to keep pedaling over said roots . Plus its alot less pounding on the lower back and nether regions .

pingu66
    Free Member

Spesh Epic and Kona Dawg Delux.

Anyone want to buy the Kona 2008 recently serviced neww BB.

Rickos
    Free Member

Hmmm… So, it seems you end up riding just one if they’re a bit close in what they’re built for. Maybe sod it all and go for a superlight SS hardtail instead.

*ponders more*

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Me.
    8yrs ago i bought a Marin Mount Vision Quad Link, rode it everywhere and loved it.
    2yrs ago i bought another Marin, a Wolf Ridge 6.8 Quad Link II. Took to it immediately, even though it is about 6lb heavier i reach for it pretty much all the time over the Mount Vision, which has been somewhat relegated to doing the CRC Marathon events and the less techy midweek rides.
    What strikes me is how much bikes and bike fashion have changed in the intervening years between the two bikes coming out.

Cheezpleez

Stumpy 120 built Lightish and Reign built for Alps. Don’t ride the Reign much (it’s a slog on the flat) but glad of it when I get a chance to use it properly. Tbh though I spend most of my time on a hardtail and most of that on a rigid SS. God I’m spoilt
    😀

stanley

5-Spot and a Flux here. (150/140 and 120/105)

Probably ride the Flux the most, but not by much!

Any upgrades mean that the Spot gets bigger and the Flux gets lighter!

_tom_
    Free Member

Not quite what you’re after but I have 2 completely different bikes and generally they both get used for the same stuff. Not really sure why I ride the fs! Currently I ride the HT for all the same stuff and it’s more fun as it corners, jumps and pedals better.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Sort of the same here…2004 Enduro and a 2009 Wolf Ridge. However, it’s allowed me to build the Enduro as a lightweight xc orientated bike and I’ve built the Marin up the other way accordingly.

And in the middle somewhere I’ve a hardtail too.

tenfoot

I have just had my 100 mm travel bike repaired to take some of the pressure off my 140 mm bike.

The 100 mm bike (a 99 Scott G-Zero) will be used in the wet, or for mucking around on family rides. I haven’t ridden both bikes, back to back, so it will be interesting to see how they compare.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Get a Rush 😮

Rickos
    Free Member

Old pre-DW Flux is a good one! A nice foil for the chunk of the EVO.

I fear if I got a Rush it would get used more than the EVO. What I really need is 2 houses like on Relocation, Relocation. A bike at each pad to fit the riding locally would be a winner.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

You know what the Dirt guys thought of the Rush 8)

Rickos
    Free Member

Exactly! That’s what I’d be worried about.

shifter
    Free Member

I have a Prophet and a Helius. Prophet is set up sturdier for Peak type stuff, whereas I use the Helius for local rides. Both could do each other’s job if the need arose…

njee20
    Free Member

I had an S-Works Epic and a Fuel Ex when they were 120mm, raced the Epic, rode the Fuel, thoroughly enjoyed both.

Frankers
    Free Member

I also have a SJ Evo

And a TNT Flux and Cotic Soul

Use the Soul the most, only tend to use the SJ now and again when it’s a little rocky which tbh isn’t very often as I live in the midlands

If I could only have one bike it would be the Flux

andypaul99
    Free Member

Rather stupidly i have 2 100mm full sussers, and Anthem x and Epic, just cant warrant the extra travel in the east of england and besides the Anthem can handle most things you throw at it anyway…and im getting old and cant be doing with a hammering from a hardtail any more!!

thomthumb
    Free Member

once met a guy who had 3 orange 5s.

had an ‘average build’. then built up a super burly one for the alps, then a superlight one for racing. said he used them all. 😯

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Two suspension bikes?

Thought that was going to be the start of a joke, 🙄 goes off to find another thread.

JohnnyPanic

Meta 5 and an Anthem X.
    The Anthem is built up light (but not super light) with a triple for XC rding
    The Meta is about 5 lb heavier with a double & bash.

Ride them both equally & love them both. My thinking was different bikes depending on what terrain I’m riding but there’s a lot of crossover and sometimes (no matter what type of ride I’m doing) I just ride the one I fancy riding on the day.

Shortly be building up a Soul singlespeed as well.

robhughes
    Free Member

Spicy 516 built up solid.dhx5 coil any coil lyriks.
    Trance x1 for the lighter stuff…
    Think iv,e got most things covered. 🙂

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Two suspension bikes?’ is closed to new replies.