Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Two Singlespeed bikes – One sweet deal…
  • user-removed
    Free Member

Finally joined the ranks of the bearded ones, but it's a bit of a comprimise…. Swapped my air rifle for this;

With a bodged tensioner….

Not done much to it – swapped out the bars for some retro-styleee narrow bars off an old Kona (Boy, are they narrow!), lowered the stem as far as possible and stuck on some Outland pedals and some Haro allan key skewers. If it's going to be a 'pub-bike' I don't want my wheels pinched.

Best of all, to sweeten the deal, he threw in this bad boy;

Not ridden one for years, but it seems to be like riding a bike 🙂

user-removed
    Free Member

Not even a comment about the state of the patio?

chakaping
    Free Member

Oh alright then.

Did somebody just try to do a wee on your unicycle?

sv

Nice SS – pity about the missing patio edging, OK?

chakaping
    Free Member

It's good how he's got the grips to match the patio though.

user-removed
    Free Member

chakaping – Member
    Oh alright then.

Did somebody just try to do a wee on your unicycle?

Ha! Sorry no, but the truth is even worse – after I fitted the tiny wee bars to the Cannondale, I took the bike for a bimble round the back garden lawn, and cycled straight through a large pile of my mutt's squelchy sh1te. So the 'wee' is actually water from the kettle 🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

ohhh retro, me likey

headfirst
    Free Member

you need to do your side of the fence

theflatboy
    Free Member

headfirst, excellent observation – truly pedantic critique. 😆

scaredypants

I like the way your patio slabs match the new grips – you could think about laying them properly now

😉

trail_rat
    Free Member

riding to the pub on the unicycle makes for a laugh – but its strictly a non alcoholic activity !

Stevie-P
    Free Member

Saddle's pointing up 😉

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

can't see the point of narrow bars when you need wide ones for honking up climbs tbh.

trail_rat
    Free Member

need ?

i have 2 x SS – 1 is 29 inch wheels,27lbs large tires and built for hooning – wide bars 650s

the other is under 19lbs , 1.9inch wide tires and built to race – it has 560mm bars

both climb as good as each other , unicycles do not climb as well unfortunantly

yunki
    Free Member

its strictly a non alcoholic activity

I beg to differ… I couldn't get my haed/legs/body around the unicycle concept for a looong time.. one hot afternoon in the park and 3.5 cans of Carlsberg Special Brew later and I had developed the knack..

after a 15 year break from the unicycle though I would be interested to discover if the same rule applies to my slightly more decrepit body..

user-removed
    Free Member

Mmmmmm, special bru….. Hope it was nicely warmed in the sun before consumption….

Last time I was on a uni, before this one was dropped into my lap (ouch!) was in my LBS about five years back – went in with a few mates, saw the uni and said; "Hey! I can ride that!". Got on, did the full length of the shop and bailed into a display of kids' bikes. Cue much laughter from everyone except the owner of the shop, who was less than impressed with my skillz.

Haven't been back….

My first uni was bought from an alcoholic clown named Haggis (sorry if you've heard this before) who worked in the same kids' circus as I was helping out at. He came round to my Dad's house a few days later, out of his mind at three in the morning, crying and wailing that he needed it back again. Quite scary for a nine year old….

freeganbikefascist
    Free Member

IME narrow bars on a SS is rather uncomfortable. Nice bike though! I had one very similar (1990 M800) singlespeeded until recently. makes a good SS bike as it's stiff as all hell

HTTP404
    Free Member

Doesn't look like classic 2:1 gearing – what ratio you running?

user-removed
    Free Member

Without checking, and never having worried about ratios before, I think it's 16 on the back and 42 on the front. Does that sound right? I did wonder if the ratio was a 'normal' one…

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

42×16 is what I run on the road.

Needs silver seatpost.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Two Singlespeed bikes – One sweet deal…’ is closed to new replies.