Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Tv stereotypes?
  • organic355
    Free Member

Why is it always the Scottish and scousers that are the junky scum Or homeless drunks in programmes like casualty and soaps and how come the BBC get away with it?

Sorry wrong forum

Bregante

project
    Free Member

Because theyre not based on reality ,but what crisp and donut eaing working class plebs want to see.

Bregante

getonyourbike
    Free Member

Hey!!! Crisps and dohnuts are awesome!

Bregante

maccruiskeen

For pretty much the whole history of TV its been a dramatic shorthand to attribute different traits to different accents. Its been happening for so long that if you deviate from the stereotypes the characters aren’t believable for the audience. A good example is the Inspector Morse series. In the books his side kick is welsh, but to work on TV the role needed to a geordie, as the stereotypes surrounding a welsh accent would clash with the personality they needed to portray.

We’re hooked on lots of these bits of shorthand – when the smoking ban came in the directors and producers I work with were in knots – there are all sorts of emotions you can quickly convey with a cigerette – relief, rebellion, anxiety, confidence, celebration, arrogance, anger, determination. When the ban came in the industry was running about like headless chickens trying to work out how to make a special effects cigarette

JacksonPollock
    Free Member

For a stereotype to hold any kind of credence or credibility there must be some element of truth?

RustySpanner

For pretty much the whole history of TV its been a dramatic shorthand to attribute different traits to different accents. Its been happening for so long that if you deviate from the stereotypes the characters aren’t believable for the audience.

So we should just keep peddling the same old crap rather than challenging assumptions?

Stereotypes become stereotypes not just because they are sometimes true, but because lazy ignorance and prejudice are easier to play along with than to challenge.
    Especially when those attitudes come from the person paying your wages.

project – Member

Because theyre not based on reality ,but what crisp and donut eaing working class plebs want to see.
    What a charmer.

Flaperon

Because theyre not based on reality

Well, thanks for bursting my bubble.

Drac

the role needed to a geordie, as the stereotypes surrounding a welsh accent would clash with the personality they needed to portray.

You’re really going to have to explain that theory.

maccruiskeen

So we should just keep peddling the same old crap rather than challenging assumptions?

Ideally- no. In practice – Yes.

Like the rest of us the people who make telly don’t have very much experience of ‘other people’. The only experience that have of the criminal underworld, the underclass, drug addicts, the mentally ill, the landed gentry is…. what they’ve seen on tv.

The middle classes are always quite roundly described though.

Depressingly this stretches beyond drama to factual programming. Documentary is shackled by the narrow scope of commissioning editors. Outside of the class of people an commissioner would meet at a dinner party the lives of everybody else are constrained to a certain set of story arcs. You’ll only see the poor, for instance, if we see their poverty in some way being cured – the Secret Millionaire for example. What you’ll pretty much never see is poverty as a continuing condition. Apparently thats a bit of a downer.

RustySpanner

In your original post you said;
    ‘Its been happening for so long that if you deviate from the stereotypes the characters aren’t believable for the audience.’

And

‘A good example is the Inspector Morse series. In the books his side kick is welsh, but to work on TV the role needed to a geordie, as the stereotypes surrounding a welsh accent would clash with the personality they needed to portray.’

Do you really believe yourself that the TV audience is that shallow?
    TV really has become a means of control rather than something to inspire and educate, hasn’t it?

I think we sometimes struggle to comprehend just how dumbed-down our culture and the media in particular, has become.

I was listening to Radio 4 recently when it was announced that dramas over 45 minutes will no longer be commissioned because the audience cannot pay attention for a longer period of time.

kimbers

the only time ive seen someone shooting up drugs was in liverpool, in the middle of the day on a relatively well to do estate with kids playing footy a few metres away

RustySpanner

kimbers – Member

the only time ive seen someone shooting up drugs was in liverpool, in the middle of the day on a relatively well to do estate with kids playing footy a few metres away

What are you trying to imply?

The only time I’ve watched someone crap in the street was in Berlin.

Where would you like to go with this?

samuri
    Free Member

Fair point.

I mean, in Eastenders all the cockneys are portrayed to be friendly, approachable, world experienced and genuine.

Nobdy believes that crap do they?

kimbers

the only time ive seen anyone crapping in the street was in soho

but the op wasnt asking about london stereotypes

i was just relating something relevant that left a lasting impression on me

stereotypes may be lazy but there is often truth behind them.

RustySpanner

Deleted.

I’d just be repeating myself.
    Enjoy the rest of your weekend folks.

kimbers

well turns out that most drug users are found in the north west of the country! (england)

so the stereotype is indeed correct- whod have thought those lazy bigoted tv writing hacks were so clued up?

im off to bed now with the warm glow of satisfaction that only being right on the internet can provide…..

http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/publications/science-research-statistics/research-statistics/crime-research/hosb1211/hosb1211?view=Binary

page 33 (near the bottom) percentage of drug use in population, NW is the winner with 10.3%

RustySpanner

Nah, that just means that we’re more honest and admitted to it 🙂
    Or more dishonest and liked to bragg 😀

maccruiskeen

Do you really believe yourself that the TV audience is that shallow?

I don’t believe they are no. And belief isn’t maybe what its about. Habit is maybe more apt, these stereotypes more likely exist out of habit. That said there are plenty of examples of characters in dramas that don’t conform to regional stereotype, but in the case of something like Casualty where you have a through-put of characters – someone who needs to be established as a character for just one episode then stereotypes are the quickest, easiest (laziest) way to establish someones backstory

dogbert
    Free Member

elzorillo
    Free Member

molgrips
    Free Member

dramatic shorthand

There’s loads of this in all sorts of TV. Rather interesting to start looking for it. Like in US TV series every time they cut to a different location they show a picture of the outside of the building for a second or two.

As above, these things are just cues to allow us to get what’s happening without needing much explanation. This makes stories move more quickly and makes them easier to follow.

Ever start watching a film half way through and still followed it? Ever watch an episode of something whilst doing something else and find you haven’t missed out on the plot? Shorthand and cues like this are how it’s possible.

Also, I don’t think it’s just film and TV – books do it too.

scruff
    Free Member

headfirst
    Free Member

I struggle with long sentences

But here’s one truism: an English actor with an English (not fake American) accent in a US TV show = the baddie. Even if it appears otherwise at first, he/she WILL be revealed to be the bad guy at some point in the future.

molgrips
    Free Member

Until about 5 years ago I’d agree (with the exception of Star Trek TNG). Not so much now though.

maccruiskeen

English actor with an English (not fake American) accent in a US TV show = the baddie.

When Charles Dance was first sent the script for “Last Action Hero”, his character’s entry into the film was described in the words “the door opens and there stands Alan Rickman”

Lifer
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4f99n4pFJZE[/video]

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eRxPDLYM9Q[/video]

Can’t find the Anne Frank one on the tube. Miss Monkey Dust 🙁

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Tv stereotypes?’ is closed to new replies.