Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • TV and satellite dish quick questions
  • CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Thinking of cancelling my Sky+ subscription (I only have the basic package) and going for Freesat HD instead as there seem to be some good Freesat PVR’s out there now.

Question 1: does the Freesat signal come from the same satellite as Sky, or will I have to get the dish pointed in a different direction?

Question 2: My plasma TV is about 7 years old, and although it’s “HD ready” and got a 1080 x whatever resolution, there are only SCART ports rather than HDMI. So is it possible to get an HDMI to SCART converter cable, and will this give me proper HD?

Stuey01
    Free Member

1) You don’t need to re-point your satellite dish.
    2) Don’t know. Does it have component inputs?

Supplementary unasked question 3) You can use your sky box as a freesat box. My skyHD+ subscription lapsed on 31st October. I have all the freesat HD channels through my sky HD box, without having to change the card.
    Recording does not work though (apparently you can pay for this from Sky if you want, tenner a month).
    The menu is annoying as it still shows all the Sky channels that I no longer have access to, to tempt me into signing up again.

TiRed

1. Yes
    2. No – HDMI is a digital signal. The Foxsat HDR does not have component output, but you will still get RGB through the SCART.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

2. No – HDMI is a digital signal. The Foxsat HDR does not have component output, but you will still get RGB through the SCART

Sorry, I don’t understand that. Is SCART not digital anyway? I’ve Googled it and there seems to be a few SCART to HDMI converter cables etc, but I’ve no idea if these give true HD, or will just deliver SD via a different connection cable?

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Come on guys and girls, I can’t believe that the STW massive can’t help me here.

I still need the answer to question 2. If I get a new Freesat PVR like a Humax or Samsung, can I take the HDMI cable into a converter cable or box and end up with true HD on my TV which has HD resolution but no HDMI port as it is too old?

cbike
    Free Member

Scart is analogue as far as i know. It can carry RGB or composite.

I think HD needs an hdmi socket. Convertors exist but its just going to convert that signal to RGB.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘TV and satellite dish quick questions’ is closed to new replies.