Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Turner Flux……
  • redx

I need some help to stop me lusting after a Turner Flux. Demo’d one of these at Glyncorrwg and really loved it. Also demo’d a 5-Spot, which on paper is the ideal bike for there, but the Flux felt so much more fun….. Not that I can afford either frame mind…..

I think 120mm forks and wide bars on the Flux would make it a great bike for hooning around (not massive jumps or drops though)and the only downside I can see is the cost…. However, I have enough more than enough fun on my PA, and got a pretty good result in the Kona Mash-Up on it, so really I know I should be content with what I’ve got……

Anyone got any bad stories about the Flux that will put me off…..

Cheers,

Alex

ceekay
    Free Member

There is a trail in Mugdock named Flux……………….. apparently one of the guys helping to craft it had his Flux bent when a tree fell on it?????? Wouldn’t catch me on one…. I mean you wouldn’t catch me! 🙂

Rex
    Free Member

Fantastic bikes. I demo’d the Spot at the weekend and wish I’d taken the flux out instead (i have an 05 flux). the dw version with 120 forks would, er, ‘rip’ I reckon.

btw the 05 one has given me absolutely no bother at all, reliable, fast, and plush.

doof_doof
    Free Member

I’ve got 120mm maxle Rebas on my TNT Flux, with 685mm carbon risers. I previously had a 575 and the Flux is *way* more fun in every situation, and it’s lighter too. For me it’s the perfect xc trail bike. Just enough travel to take the edge off, but not so much that it feels like you’re riding a sofa.

The only niggle I have is that tyre clearance isn’t huge with larger tyres, but not a big deal.

Frankers
    Free Member

I have a TNT Flux and also has a Horst 5 Spot. The Flux suits more my riding and always found it more fun than the Spot. I have U Turn reba’s which were set to 115mm (for years) but have had them wound down to 100mm for the past 6-12 months and much prefer the lower front end for increased grip when tight cornering.

Never had a problem with tyre clearance, i could get WTB 2.55 tyres easily on the 5 Spot which has exactly the same rear and clearance as the Flux.

redx

Hmmm, you’re not helping me convince myself I don’t need one….. Agree with your comment about riding a sofa doof_doof. My Heckler languishes in the corner as I much prefer the PA because I find it much more engaging and fun to ride…..

SidewaysTim

If it helps, we’ve got a medium red DW Flux hanging here in the shop and it’s at the pre-increase price 🙂

Brilliant bike btw, I much prefer it to the 5 Spot, as it just feels a lot more lively and nimble.

lowey

Always remember that should anything does go wrong, the Turner Customer Service is legendary.

doof_doof
    Free Member

I should have mentioned that the tyre clearance is tight with the ’08 Flux (old Nitrous) rear end. Older Flux’s will have more clearance as noted above.

funkynick

*fingers in ears* La-la Tim… I can’t hear you… la-la-la

Frankers
    Free Member

doof_doof – Member
    I should have mentioned that the tyre clearance is tight with the ’08 Flux (old Nitrous) rear end. Older Flux’s will have more clearance as noted above.

I thought the 08 Flux had the Asymmetrical chain stay that was designed for the flux only 😕

AB
    Free Member

I used to have a Turner 5 Spot 2008 with Pikes that was unbelievable at going down hills, but a bit burly on the ups.

I too thought that the DW-Link Flux with 100mm rear, a 100-120mm fork and a nice build at around 27 lbs plus the widely praised efficiency of the DW-link suspension, would be the perfect trail centre bike. But like you, I struggled to justify the price.

So after much (MUCH) looking about and deliberating I pulled the trigger on a 2008 Trance 1 (lighter 100mm version with a 1lb shaved of the previous frames weight). Teamed this with wide risers and a 100-130 Air U-Turn Revelation and a build that comes in at just under 27 lbs.

Bike was originally £1800
    Got it brand new for £1000
    Via bike to work will work out about £550

End result is a bike that flies up and down the hills. After having used 4 different rear suspension setups, I have to say that the Maestro suspension set up is awesome. You don’t feel it working – and that is the point.

So, for a third of the price of a new Flux frame, I have a similar styled bike (although without the brand cache and lust factor) that I’m delighted with.

Now realise that there is a reason why 2008 100mm Trance frames are so sought after.

Hope this helps

doof_doof
    Free Member

I thought the 08 Flux had the Asymmetrical chain stay that was designed for the flux only

The 08 Flux rear end came from the 07 Nitrous, which of course was discontinued. And yes, it is the welded asym rear end.

jimmerhimself
    Free Member

I bought an 06 Flux after demoing a Spot. As above the Spot just felt a bit slow and hefty on everything but the descents. The Flux turned me into a hooligan, it’s surprisingly strong, very well built, nimble, light and really confidence inspiring.

I spent four days in Whistler Bike Park on it and really, really scared myself. I trashed the Reba’s up front in the process, but the frame never felt like it couldn’t cope. It seems the faster you go, the more you float over the rough stuff! I’ve since rebuilt some old 100mm Fox Float forks to go on the front and the bike is perfect for a good 80% of my riding.

For the other 20% I have an Orange Five which by comparison feels like a tank and just ploughs through everything.

I’ve not tried the DW Link version and the current price for a Flux is verging on insane. But I reckon with the right 120mm fork, it might just be near perfect….but then I’d recommend riding an Orange ST4, apparently they’re rather special too.

toons
    Free Member

Brilliant bike btw, I much prefer it to the 5 Spot, as it just feels a lot more lively and nimble.

Is that the HL 5 Spot, TNT 5 Spot or DW 5 Spot?

GeForceJunky

This is brilliant fun for hooning around on, but its a bit small (13.5″) frame as its my sisters lol.

SidewaysTim

toons – Member

Is that the HL 5 Spot, TNT 5 Spot or DW 5 Spot?

All three. HL and TNT both felt exactly the same to me and the DW while it does climb better, it’s just not as flickable as the Flux. Whether that’s down to weight, angles, or travel I really don’t know.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I’ve got a Flux & Spot. As above horses for courses, but if I had to save one from the flames, it would be the Flux.

Well worth looking on US ebay and mtbr.com clasifieds. Got mine on US ebay, Full XO, FSA carbon cranks, Crossmax etc £1K The guy had ridden it only 300 miles. Doubled that in the first two weeks of ownership in Oregon.

Got a brand new Spot frame that way too, paid about £750. Good savings to be found, now the exchange rate is improving and there’s a squeeze on the US ecomomy.

toons
    Free Member

I find the new DW 5 spot very flickable through the turns (compared to the HL & TNT version).

So the flux must turn on a sixpence

dicky
    Free Member

I feel the same having gone from a 5 spot to a Fuel EX, the Trek is a lot lighter, more responsive and ‘flickable’. Trek don’t have the same brand cache and might not be as durable as as Turner but I’d consider the Fuel EX as another lower cost option if you can’t afford the Flux.
    I think the shorter travel bikes seem more responsive and fun simply because they are better suited to the majority of UK trails.

I’m not trying to talk you out of buying a Flux though 🙂 I’d buy a DW Flux tomorrow if I could afford it

matt_outandabout

100mm rear, 120mm Qr15 forks? That will be my luvverly Orange ST4 then.

It is hoppy n lively, and having been back on a 5″+er recently, it is nippier.

Shorter travel is where it is at 😉

ChrisS
    Free Member

At £3300 is the ST4 SE really that much cheaper than a custom build Turner DW Flux though?

So assuming none of can afford a flux, what is the cheaper alternative? 100mm travel, takes at least 120mm forks, tough enough for a bit of abuse, lively ride?

ChrisS
    Free Member

Cannondale rush? not sure how tough it is though?

Singletrackmonkey
    Free Member

I’ve got a horst link 5 spot and I now want a DW link version but I’m still undecided whether to get a flux instead of a 5-spot this time

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

A a fellow rider to Singletrackmonkey, I’ve come to the realisation that my 5spot is likely overkill for the riding I do.

I was all set to change to a flux until I read David Turner’s comment recently on the MTBR forum that he spent alot of time whittling material away from the Flux to get it as light as it is. He advised that bigger riders in particular ought to exercise care on what they ride seated in order to avoid overstressing the frame. He particularly mentioned G-outs. He advised to take the attack position all the time.

At 14 stone I’m not sure I want to take the risk of me being tired after a big ride, forgetting to stand out of the saddle and breaking the bike.

It might be a trance for me next. 😕

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Yeah.This was a bit of a dillema for me! Have a Horst link 5-Spot and a De-kerf hardtail.Fancy a Flux but would need to sell the other two bikes to fund it! Don’t think i could bear to part with them! Fancy a Flux with a 120mm fork.But wouldn’t my 5-Spot feel more confident on the gnarly bits?
    Thanx Max

ChrisS
    Free Member

I wonder if an Intense Spider 2 would be a better choice?

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Turner Flux……’ is closed to new replies.