Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Turner Burner 650b or Sultan – sizing and choice dilema
  • Sanny
    Free Member

Hello

I’ve the opportunity to get either a Turner Burner or a Turner Sultan 29er.

I have a Turner 5 Spot (DW 2009) which is a really nice bike but with the opportunity to upgrade, I’m torn between the above two.

I’ve not ridden either and am currently rocking out on a Giant Trance X 29 which is a lovely bit of kit. The big wheels are terrific when it comes to blatting through rock gardens and seem to cope well on tight, twisty singletrack through the trees.

What I’m wondering is whether the 650b route will give me the advantages of the 29er wheel (roll faster, cope better with rock gardens etc) in a better fitting package?

My current 5 Spot has a 23.6 inch top tube as does the new Sultan in a large. The Burner in large is some 24.4 according to the Turner website.

My dilemma comes in that at just over 6 foot 1, I’m on the cusp of a large and an XL frame. I currently run a 100mm stem on the 5 Spot with a pair of EA70 bars which I think are about 680mm wide. I’m contemplating going to a 750mm pair of Easton bars with a slightly shorter stem (90mm).

Does anyone have experience of either frame in a large or XL and could offer some advice re sizing? I expect very few have ridden the Burner but hopefully there are some of you who have the Sultan that can help?

Cheers

Sanny

sam_underhill

There’s an interesting article on pinkbike today about 26 v 27.5 v 29 wheels.

Regarding sizing…..
    100mm stem on a 5 spot is massive. Sounds like you might have a frame that is a bit small. I’ve got a flux in Medium and I was on the cusp of Medium v Small (I’m 5’7″). The Medium feels in no way on the large side, so IMHO Turners end up coming up a bit small for the stated size. DT advised me to take the larger size and I’m soo glad I did.

dickie
    Free Member

Turner has designed the new Burner to follow the current fashion of long centres & short stems – that what he said.
    So I think at your size the large Burner would be a great upgrade from the 5 Spot & the wheels arn’t massively different. Keep the Trance 29, no point getting another 29er if you have one.
    The Burner will be a rare bike over here for a year or two I would amagine.

doof_doof
    Free Member

The new longer geometry on the Burner looks spot on. The silly short TT’s on previous DW’s have put me off updating my Turner.
    At £1695 for the raw & kashima, it’s almost reasonably priced too.

makkag
    Free Member

is that just a conversion of the us rrp on turner site or what silverfish are actualy charging ??

Vortexracing

is that just a conversion of the us rrp on turner site or what silverfish are actualy charging

Wondering the same thing as well, as thats £400 less than a 5 spot 😯

doof_doof
    Free Member

On the Silverfish website (unless they’ve screwed up):

http://www.silverfish-uk.com/Brand/9858/Category/9868/Frames-Build-Kits

richiethesilverfish
    Free Member

Theres new pricing for all Turners in the UK this year gentlemen.

Take a look http://www.silverfish-uk.com/Brand/9858/Category/9868/Frames-Build-Kits

We’ve secured some pretty competitive pricing for the complete builds too not just frames.

Cheers

richiethesilverfish
    Free Member

Ha! Beaten to it. Thanks Doof Doof.
    It’s no screw up.

doof_doof
    Free Member

When are you expecting the Burner stock to arrive Richie?

richiethesilverfish
    Free Member

Early – mid Feb.

They look awesome. I’m speccing mine up as we speak 🙂

Naranjada
    Free Member

I’m 6’2″ with 32-33″ inside leg and ride an XL Sultan with a flat 50mm stem.

Very comfortable for me and a really lovely bike to ride.

5spot
    Free Member

Richie,have you got a Burner demo?

davosaurusrex

Son of a Bitch! I just paid £1540 for a 2012 Sultan from CRC. If they drop the prices on the remaining stock I’m sending it back and re-ordering!

Naranjada
    Free Member

I just measured my XL Sultan with 50mm stem, it’s 670mm from centre of handlebars to centre of seatpost.

richiethesilverfish
    Free Member

We don’t have a demo at the moment but will be running one later in the year.
    Almost all of the first shipment is pre-sold so we can’t really justify pulling one out for a demo bike just yet.

dickie
    Free Member

Richie – is the XT build kit referring too £1995 + £1695 frame or £1995 for a full XT spec bike?

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Sanny, I swapped my Sultan for a Trance X 29 recently and the Giant feels like a much more agile and active frame on the downs but climbs just as well as the Sultan. I too had a DW 5 spot but moved to bigger wheels when I cracked the Turner and had the opportunity for a change -I wanted to try a 29er FS and the Sultan seemed like the logical move. I am just over 6’2″ and went for the XL, the TT isn’t as long as I thought it would be and it felt a little neat with a 70mm stem and wide bars.

Choice will really deprnd on what you ride but if I wanted a real all mountain machine, I’d go for the Burner.

richiethesilverfish
    Free Member

£1995 is for the build kit Dickie.
    We’re good but we’re not THAT good!!!!

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

That’ll kick the discount last years model prices when it comes through next year! :o)

I picked up my 2011 sultan from CRC for 999 a while ago.

dickie
    Free Member

Richie – I thought as much but worth checking!! 😀

makkag
    Free Member

holy batman shit 3700 for a full build very very interesting, my 06 5spot may finaly have to worry , Richie can i get frame trade in in the uk like the US ?

Very agressive pricing this year whats the reason.

Will still want to ride one though before parting with the money or it may be just a new 5 spot

Vortexracing

I think I have just decided on my 09 5 spot replacement.

Now all I need is Cy to produce a 650b Soul so I can swap wheels and I’m sorted

richiethesilverfish
    Free Member

Hi Makkag – sorry, we’re unable to offer the trade in programme. That’s something that Turner do themselves in the domestic market rather than being a global policy for distributors.

Glad you approve of the aggressive pricing. The reasons are quite simply too boring to go into on here but we’re hoping to be able to make Turner a more viable option for riders than it has been previously.

richiethesilverfish
    Free Member

Regarding the pricing – here’s an interesting fact for you.

In 1996 the Turner Burner was £1595.
    In 2013 the Turner Burner is £1695.

£100 in 17 years doesn’t seem too bad to me 🙂

Sanny
    Free Member

Very helpful chaps! I can attest to the awesome customer service you get from Silverfish and from Turner. I’m drawn to the Burner as the longer top tube and bigger wheels appeal. Plus it comes in a fantastic orange colour! Man, I love decision anxiety!

Bigdugsbaws – what size of Giant do you have? I’m riding a large and it feels pretty much perfect. Did you go for the xl?

Cheers

Sanny

richiethesilverfish
    Free Member

Cheers Sanny. That tenners in the post 😉

makkag
    Free Member

Thanks for that ritchie thought as much appreciate the clarification. shall i email you to express interest in a demo for when you have one or shall i get my lbs Cyclopedia Watford to do it ?

richiethesilverfish
    Free Member

Hi Makkag.
    We know the good guys at Cycleopedia pretty well so if you have a chat with them they’ll be able to keep you informed as and when we get one available.
    Cheers.

makkag
    Free Member

cool will speak to si and chris

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Sanny, yes I am on a large TX

boxelder

What did you go for then sanny (sent you a dull email query, sorry).
    I’m racked with indecision – 29/26?
    Are the new breed 29ers more agile on slow techy stuff. I’ve a scandal 29, so know they make great speed first bikes.
    Seen the cube stereo 140/160’s – they look fun, but pedalling uphill……..?

Sanny
    Free Member

Still not decided! Too bloody difficult a choice though I have just picked up a Fat Bike! Ha! Ha! 😀

Clink

Sanny – you still liking the Trance 29?

Sanny
    Free Member

Hi Clink

Still very impressed by the Giant. The BB is on the way out, the back brake needed a rebleed, the rear shock ctd switch doesn’t seem to make any difference any more and the dropper post is beginning to drop a little mid ride but it’s still a really cracking ride despite the minor niggles. I’m hard on kit and the bike is holding up really well. I’m still getting used to the Big wheels being able to roll through the by rock gardens that would hook up my Turner with smaller wheels. It’s a really sorted frame and still gets two thumbs up from me.

andyl
    Free Member

I quite like that. Burner definitely on my frames to check out next.

heihei

I’ve spent a lot of time on 29ers and 650B bikes over the last 6 months. In fact since getting my first 29er in October I haven’t ridden a 26″ wheeled bike since, so you could say I’m a convert to bigger wheels.
    Having done this, I do think 650B are a good compromise, being more “fun” than a 29er going downhill, whilst still maintaining some of the increased level of grip and steamroller ability of a 29er.
    The Burner therefore looks a cracking bike and I’ve always had a soft spot for Turners. My only issue is they are a bit heavy compared with some of the carbon offerings out there – shame DT hasn’t embraced carbon technology…yet!

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Turner Burner 650b or Sultan – sizing and choice dilema’ is closed to new replies.