Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Turner 5 spot
  • timpol
    Free Member

Anyone have any views good/bad? Also anywhere thats selling them under the standard £1995, Cheers

heihei

They're good, although the looks are bit of an aquired taste. IMHO the DW link is one of the best suspension designs out there, being both plush whilst at the same time being taught under pedaling, so it sprints well. It also climbs well, as the DW supports the rear of the bike, meaning you don't need to run travel-adjust forks.
    Downsides? Well the 69deg head angle is quite steep compared to some other AM bikes with similar travel so it's not a bike that encourages loony behaviour, although the bike is beefy enough to take it. It's also not as light as things like the Ibis Mojo, so unlikely to satisfy weight weenies.
    Here's mine….

sprootlet
    Free Member

I'm a very pleased owner of a turner 5 spot (bought 2nd hand). It has bailed me out of sticky situations including jumping stream accidentally (it could have been very messy). I find it climbs fairly well and the suspension is superb.
    I had a titus motolite before and the Turner is by far the better bike. I would definitely get another one.

coogan
    Free Member

Superb bike. Have a HL verison and wish my DW verison would hurry the **** up. 1 month + of waiting. Worth it though.

£1500 here:

http://www.bromleybike.co.uk/shop/frames/mtb-frames/turner-frames/turner-5-spot-627129.html

heihei

Forgot to add….most LBS will give you 10% discount when you spend that amount of money.

timpol
    Free Member

Yea had a look at the Bromley Bike website and sadly its only for the large white. Just weighing up whether to swap my 575 for one to get something that can take more of a drop.

Hadge
    Free Member

I had the older HL model and loved it. That DW bike looks nice too.

timpol
    Free Member

Hadge, you had a 575 to right? I love riding the 575 but feel im getting into more of the harder hitting stuff and am cautious with the carbon rear triangle. What else would you look at? I know the 5 Spot can take a bit of grief.

timpol
    Free Member

Anyone else got any other bikes to rival the Turner?

freeform5spot
    Free Member

Built my DW 5 spot up today, will post pics later.

Have had a horst and the newer version of the 5 spot so will be good to compare.

STill think I will get some travel adjust forks as I like running a 70mm stem and the front end tends to wonder when the trail gets steep.

gizzardman
    Free Member

Hi Timpol,

I've just gone from an 07 575 to a new DW Link 5 SPot, the differences are amazing. The Turner climbs as well (if not better) than the Yeti but when it comes to descending blows it out of the water. The bike is a hell of a lot stiffer too resluting in a bike that rails round tight singletrack. It's about a pound heavier than the Yeti but you don't feel it at all, the DW suspension sees to that. If that Large White from Bromley bike fits, have it.

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Love my DW, its the best bike I have owned by a mile and I have had a few in my time 😳 It does have its quirks like the creaky links, peeling decals and shock that isnt really suited to heavy riders, but the ride is superb.

Hadge
    Free Member

Timpol, I wouldn't worry about the rear end of the 575 it will take a lot oif abuse honest. If you want peace of mind then go for the Intense Tracer or even the 5 Spot. Can't comment on the new DW model but I had the older HL with a coil DHX shock with ti spring and it was superb. Also had the 5.5 Intense but they don't like our weather and you need look after the bearings more.

gizzardman
    Free Member

Duggie, contacvt Turner about the creak. They sent me a new DW Link. it's something to do with the interface between the femal and male hex link.

radoggair
    Free Member

got a HL version, fantastic bike that does everything

Downsides – well, its costly, – my bushings seem to wear more than others and it may break if abused heavily 😕 – and it aint light,

upsides – prob the only bike you ever need to own

timpol
    Free Member

whats the lowest price you guys have seen the DW for?

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Cheers gizzardman, I heard they were bringing out a revised version but did not think it was out yet.

gizzardman
    Free Member

Got mine from Wheelbase for £1495, none left now though. I reckon once that White one form Bromley's gone that'll be it, you'll be paying top whack, maybe be able to get one for £1750ish?

aldomac
    Free Member

heihei – you running a 160 fork – that'll be slacker that 69 degrees?

Duggie – take the bushings out and simply drill a 2mm hole in them, then pack em with grease.The hole allows grease from the gun to reach the inside and stops the clicking. If you don't want to do it yourself then Turner will send you some.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

You can run longer forks on the DW Spots because the back end doesn't squat down at all. I run mine with a Lyrik and don't really wind the fork down as the front end doesn't wander. I didn't even touch the travel adjust even on longer climbs in the Alps.

They are a giggle. :mrgreen:

timpol
    Free Member

Think i might start looking out for one, how much are people selling 575 08/09 frame only for these days?

heihei

heihei – you running a 160 fork – that'll be slacker that 69 degrees?

Indeed – Float 36's at full travel. Not measured the head angle but suspect now at around 68 deg which is where I prefer.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Turner 5 spot’ is closed to new replies.