Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Tupe’d out
  • HairyHarry
    Free Member

Hi

Has anyone on the forums been tupe’d out to another company recently. Just found out its going to happen to me, I work in IT Support and a little worried. Any good/bad experiences?

Thank you

samuri
    Free Member

the theory is that short term, nothing will change. It’s never happened to me but we do it it a lot as a company. The new company is supposed to maintain all your terms and conditions for a set period after which you’ll either be asked to leave or asked to sign a new set of t&c’s.

Prepare to feel a bit isolated during the changeover if you like feeling like you’re part of the company. We’ve had people tuped across to us who were offered a permy role after a while and others we’ve tuped out who were made redundant further down the line.

There’s no good things about being tuped though as far as I can tell, unless keeping your job is one of them.

SteveTheBarbarian
    Free Member

No, sorry. It’s strange you have no name though.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    HairyHarry
    Free Member

This tupe thing does sound very daunting, but we have no option or its the dole queue. Thank you for the advice and fingers crossed it works out well in the end.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Check it on TUC website.

Basically it means your T&C will remain the same.

domino

I was TUPE’d from one IT company to another. The T&C’s stayed the same – pay, holiday, overtime etc. It worked out that the pension was better at the new company, pension is one thing that I don’t recall being covered by TUPE.

My experience was that the new company discouraged overtime, so I lost out on earnings, so I stopped doing anything more than my contracted hours. The opportunties for promotion deminished and I hated the new company. I had always said I would give it a year and see how I got on and left after 18 months.

SteveTheBarbarian
    Free Member

Oh, you have a name now. Just a space then: – member earlier. Wierd.

druidh
    Free Member

Been TUPE’d twice.

The T&Cs may not stay the same. You may find that you end up with equivalent T&Cs. e.g. the new company may have a longer working week. You’ll change to these hours and be paid more accordingly, you may have more/less holidays and pay will be adjusted to suit. Pensions are not covered by TUPE.

druidh
    Free Member

SteveTheBarbarian – Member

Oh, you have a name now. Just a space then: – member earlier. Wierd.

It’s a glitch in the matrix

Philby

See the following ACAS website for more info:

http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=1655

Being TUPE’d at this time may be a positive thing and give you more time to look for your ideal job, rather than being on the dole. You never know the new company may be better to work for and new opportunities may present themselves.

My only experience of it was project managing the transfer of a small charity into the NHS some years ago – this was definitely a “win-win” situation for all concerned.

Swello
    Free Member

Seen it from both sides – been Tupe’d once and my company does a fair bit of outsourcing – so I’ve seen the results a number of times. I left the company that I went to after less than a year as I had no interest in working for them – and from what I’ve seen, that’s not an uncommon thing. In my experience – the people who do well after being Tupe’d are the ones that adjust to the fact they are working for a new company quickly and actively get involved – the ones that sit around wishing they were still working for the previous company (or worse – act like they still are) are usually punted at the first opportunity.

hot_fiat

It really depends on who you’re being Tupe’d to. Some outsourcers are great and offer good opportunities for their tupe’d staff. Others are not so good.

I’ve been tupe’d once, have seen it happen to colleagues many times and loads of my customers are tupe’d guys. Things to watch out for:
    Old friends. Getting to grips with the fact that some of your current work friends /colleagues are now your customer and need to be treated slightly differently;
    Corporate assimilation. American outsourcers (Increasingly Blue Morons, Electronic Disaster Services etc) love this: YOU WILL BUY THIS SUIT, YOU WILL HAVE THIS HAIRCUT, YOU WILL SIT IN THIS BOOTH, YOU WILL COMPLY…
    Training. Outsourcers love being able to show their customer that they have the best qualified staff in the business and so training opportunities will become more prevalent. Grab these whenever you can. Try and get stuff like MCPS included in your yearly goals.
    Payday – your payday will probably change. 25th is standard for most US companies.
    Change control. EVERYTHING the client asks for becomes a chargeable task; no more favours, no more “I’ll just quickly install this for you”. They want a different mouse? Raise a change request.
    Procedures. Chances are you won’t have any at present, not proper written ones with work instructions (idiot guides). Outsources love procedures, don’t fall into the belief that documenting how you work will render your position redundant. It just means that management can turn around to the client when things go pear-shaped and say “looksee, we were just following procedures when the entire mail infrastructure collapsed in a heap of EDB files. Not our fault”.
    The management revolving door. I and my team had 5 managers in 3 years at one outsourcer. They didn’t leave or get fired, they were just constantly being re-assigned, as were their managers, and their managers.
    The corporate email from the CEO. Once a week/month you’ll get an email from some corporate bod with grey hair and a penchant for talking in soliloquies about “direction”, “strategy” and “three legged stools”. They are God. DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL. That would be a mistake. They are not your friend, no matter how chatty they are.
    The disgruntled customer. You will turn up on-site to fix something and people in your customer’s organisation will start slagging your new company off. Smile sweetly and get on with the job.
    SLA Violations. Instead of SLA violations just being an annoyance, they actually cost the people you now work for money. So management tend to take a slightly harsher view if calls do go beyond their expiry date. Log EVERYTHING in whatever helpdesk system you use. Its the only evidence your management will have in your defence.
    1st line support disappears to Bangalore. This happens. Not much you can do about it. Customers hate it, call satisfaction rates invariably suffer. Cheap.
    The double tupe. You get tupe’d out, then that outsourcer loses their contract and you get tupe’d to another outsourcer. Shouldn’t make much difference. Another dull assimilation course to attend. Probably in Bracknell or Slough. Nice!
    The we’re going to in-source IT scenario. Customer realises that outsourcing is costing them a fortune, what with all the lawyers negotiating contracts, change controls, phonecalls to Bangalore and the numerous trips to Bracknell. You get tupe’d back into your old job, usually at a considerably higher wage than before. Result!

project
    Free Member

Got Tuped a few years ago, no problem i thought then then a few days before, got told my work location would be 40 miles from where i live, and the place i worked from was only 14 miles away, the job driveing a van, and no i couldnt take the van home, and no i wouldnt be paid to travel,Id have to travel 40 miles in my car to pick up the van, and then retuirn in the van to my original workplace, pick up the deliveries, then drive 100 miles on multiple drop, then return to old base , unload, then back to new base, drop van off and then drive home in my car.
    We told the management where to put there jobs, the managers responce, was when you stop at traffic lights, Think how lucky you are to have a job, i was just speechless.

HairyHarry
    Free Member

Thank you for all the replies. Lots to consider and think about, but essentially its better to be employed. My current company have offered me another role, but that is only for six months and then I miss the tupe, if I stay then I have no idea what could happen to me. So looks like I will have to take the tupe! I think with the sunny weather a ride is needed!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Tupe’d out’ is closed to new replies.

Members Notice New deal added to Members Discounts