Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Tubes bursting
  • atlaz
    Free Member

Last two days I’ve had two inner tubes on my front wheel burst. Not a puncture putting the tyre on but an ear-ringing shotgun blast of a burst with the wheel just sitting up against the dining room wall. Both have burst right next to the valve and not when they’ve just been pumped up either, some time after.

I’ve checked the rim and there’s nothing, the tyres are new but I checked them anyway and they’re fine too.

Any ideas?

Jerome
    Free Member

Rim tape.
    Rough edge around the valve hole.
    Look at tubes to see exactly where they are blowing..

Esme
    Free Member

I bet they were Presta valves 🙄

atlaz
    Free Member

schrader. They’ve both gone in EXACTLY the same place so it might be that after a while the tyre is coming off the rim for some reason.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

You have most likely pinched the tube when fitting it or not seated the tyre properly and it has blown off the rim . they make an impressive noise when they go dont they .

upsanddowns
    Free Member

Hi,

this is not that uncommon, it will be that the tyre bead is not properly seated into its groove when you are blowing it up. The tube is then able to push up on the tyre and create a gap to explode out of. The tyre can then sit back into the rim leaving you no clue what happened.

The solution is to stop pumping at 15-20 psi and check that the tyre is even all the way around, pushing it into place if necessary. Check again at full presure.

atlaz
    Free Member

This too far off? This is about 30psi

nobtwidler
    Free Member

No idea except tyre not seated correctly. It makes you jump though doesn’t it!

atlaz
    Free Member

The rear has hooked on fine. This tyre less so; looks to have got a bit mangled in the post. Any advice?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Tubes bursting’ is closed to new replies.