Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Tubeless – WTFing hell is going on
  • hungrymonkey
    Free Member

**** this.

stans rim, proper valve, and 3 layers of electric tape (cos i can’t afford yellow tape).

tape is in perfect condition around the valve, but whatever I do, the air keeps **** escaping from the valve hole. YES its coming from there, not another nipple hole etc.

even when i sacrificed a tube for a different valve, it still **** leaks from there. cannot get the **** to stay up. WTF!

i’ve had tubeless for 7 years, and NEVER had an issue like this.

so **** annoying. spent about 2 hours trying to get this **** to go up. the other wheel, with exactly the same set up (rim, tape, valve) has been no bother whatsoever.

**** sake.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

why is it so **** diffifcult to design a system which just **** works without breaking all your tyre levers?

am sure some smug git will come and tell me to use tubes, but after bankrupting myself to get a nice set of tubeless wheels for the race bike, that can go **** itself.

Northwind

Replace the tape.

PiknMix
    Free Member

………. and breathe

njee20
    Free Member

Agreed, just because it’s coming out of the valve hole doesn’t mean it’s going into the rim cavity there, had that before.

RealMan
    Free Member

You put any sealant in yet?

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

it’s already had 2 rolls of leccy tape.

tyres have both run tubeless on the previous wheels, and have sealant in them.

have moved on to building the rest of the bike. can’t be **** with wheels for now.

boxfish
    Free Member

I had air escaping around the valve hole when using yellow tape. To stop it, I cut out a small square of inner tube, made 2 cuts in the centre of it in an ‘X’, and pushed the valve through it before inserting into the rim. It provided a better seal than just the rubber base of the valve.

wrecker
    Free Member

Are you using valves from inner tubes?

Northwind

Swap valve from other wheel then.

jota180
    Free Member

have moved on to building the rest of the bike. can’t be **** with wheels for now.

Probably the best option, start again from scratch tomorrow and it’ll work straight away – always does 🙂

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Tubeless system consists of Rim/Tyre/Valve/Tape

Man buys 3 of 4 and bodges 4th. How much swearing is £15 worth?

crotchrocket
    Free Member

solution: use solution.

with the valve in place and the tyre off drip stans (other sealing fluid is available, but not as good) around the base of the valve (not in the hole, dummy) and let it dry.

return to fitting the tyre

Job done (IME)

scaredypants

silicone sealant FTW
    (or proper tubeless stuff as ^ he said)

nosedive
    Free Member

Are you bodging both valves and tape? If so I have two suggestions you could try

tazzymtb

use a proper stans valve and yellow tape and it’ll work. No point getting sweary about a system when you aren’t using all the bits of said system. Buffoon 😛

ash258369
    Free Member

Had the same problem with a 717 rim. Had to wrap it a couple of times with tape to get a tight seal. Don’t think I cut the tape well at the hole as air was leaking out by the valve. Just make sure the valve is done up tight and as above use some stans on it, took a couple of goes with stans to get the air to stop leakingbut been fine since

Suggsey
    Free Member

Cant ****ing understand what all the ******** hassle is about. I used two 20″ Wilkinsons inner tubes on my old 5.1 rims with just standard rim tape over the spokes and sealed first time with no leaks. ******** amateurs 😛

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

just gonna stick a tube in for tomorrow’s ride… only tape is bodged, but thats never been an issue before.

rest of bike went smoooooooth 8)

i’m off to the pub ➡

nickf
    Free Member

Mavic XM819

UST tyres

A small amount of solution to deal with the inevitable small cuts/thorn punctures

No problems in the YEARS I’ve been using them.

chris_db
    Free Member

I made the mistake of watching a Stans video about Flows and drilling the the inner wall out to get the rim tape valve to seat properly. Then I figured it out (I’m a hamfisted etc).

Solution; cut a small square of inner tube, fold diagonally twice, snip the tip of the fold, open up and trim the outer radius to fit and you have a nice rubber “washer” to seat the valve in.

This has never leaked on me yet…

EdwardH

+1 nickf

spooky_b329

1) Cut an X in the tape over the valve hole and then use a needle file to remove the flaps. (Or the threaded valve stem will do the job with a little more difficulty)

2) Check you are using the correct Stans valve. My secondhand wheels came with a standard valve and god knows how the guy got them inflated even with his compressor…it held the tyre beads away from the rim.

3) When the tyre is inflated use a pair of pliers to tighten the lockring until it is airtight.

Klunk
    Free Member

3) When the tyre is inflated use a pair of pliers to tighten the lockring until it is airtight.

if it’s not working finger tight you’re doing something wrong.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless – WTFing hell is going on’ is closed to new replies.