Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Tubeless Woes – Advantage on Stans
  • tpbiker
    Free Member

A Maxxis Advantage 2.1 Exc on a stans 355 rim to be precise.

I’ve tried all the usual tricks, including the ghetto tubeless compressor, removed valve cores, lots of soapy water, even put in a tube to try to seat one bead….its not even close to inflating

Anyone else tried this combination..does it work or are EXC wheels just not tubeless compatable?

Shorty121
    Free Member

Concentrated washing up liquid did the trick for me

Onzadog
    Free Member

Exception series maxxis tyres? I tried them but decided it was too light a tyre to run tubeless. Exo or lust, no problem.

Anthony
    Free Member

Just wrap a few turns of electrical tape over the yellow tape, keeping it nice and central.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Yeah Onza, those are the ones.

They are a bit flimsy, did you ditch them tubeless as you couldn’t get em up, or you thought they’d fall off the rim…or for other reasons?

ahwiles
    Free Member

you need to sacrifice a chicken within a pentagram of salt, under a full moon.

be carefull not to let any of the chicken’s blood spill outside the pentagram – or the magic won’t work.

or just use an innertube…

captain_bastard
    Free Member

tried that combo, eventually got them up by leaving on with an inner tube over night, carefully removing one side of tyre only, removing tube, even more carefully slipping the other side on

which is why i’m running Bonty TLR tyres 😆

muddy@rseguy

I run Maxxis Advantage Exc’s on Stans Flow rims, never managed to get the soapy water trick to work. IMO the best thing to centre the tyre bead in the mid grove of the rim and then either use a track pump (pump very fast…)and if that doest work I use a CO2 tyre inflator to pop the tyre onto the rim properly (this was the LBS recommended method and it really does seem to work). Just do not try and pop the bead onto the rim by hand as you can’t create a good air seal this way and the tyre won’t inflate.

The voodoo method with the chicken only works during every other full moon. Don’t use a KFC bargain bucket as this will not appease the gods (unless you have extra coleslaw) 😉

scaredypants

deleted – too nice a day for grumpiness

Onzadog
    Free Member

I got them up and they sealed okay. I just blew them off the rims a few times hitting stuff hard in the peaks. I just decided that I was asking a bit too much of them. The lust version has been spot on though. I also hear that the exo version convert well. I just sold my exceptions to a mate who does use tubes.

Northwind

Haven’t done it with a 2.1 but my 2.4 went up as if it were UST- effortless. Did it actually bead up well when you tubed it?

Onzadog
    Free Member

The standard ones work fine, It’s the exception series tyres are just pushing the technology just a bit too far.

continuity
    Free Member

Put tubes in the tyres overnight, then break the bead on one side (the other should stay on) remove the tubes, insert the valve core, reattach the upper bead. Then apply ghetto tubeless.

Wrap your ghetto tubeless inflator in gorilla tape and put more air in it – the bottles alone are rated for 150psi, I got easily 120 in one.

It should go up.

goodgrief
    Free Member

I’ve come to the conclusion if a tyre won’t go up with a good track pump then it will cause hassle at some point in the future. Making a proper seal for me involves wrapping the rim with yellow or cloth rim tape and fitting a stans rim strip on top. If the tyre still goes on easily by hand then it’s not tight enough.

continuity
    Free Member

I suggest gorilla tape.

tpbiker
    Free Member

I can’t even get the bead to pop onto the rim, even at 80 psi in the bottle. Have left a tube in ovenight so will see what happens after that. Am a bit concerned with Onzadogs tale of popping the tyre right off the rim however

Are we talking a bit of air burbing…or catestrophic failure when the bead falls right off the tyre. I managed to do that once when I’d damaged the rear rim and ridden it anyways…wasn’t a pleasant exp at 20 mile an hr, but I dread to think what would have happened if it had been on the front!

EccentricEllis

Magic

Onzadog
    Free Member

No, full blow off. Someone thought I’d been shot withthe noise it made. They also thought it was some weird skin flick given the liberal coating of white goo everywhere.

neninja
    Free Member

I got them to work on Stans Arch rims with C02.

I then took them off to run some mud tyres and when I came to put them back on they seemed really loose. I wouldn’t run them tubeless now as the bead just seems too weak.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless Woes – Advantage on Stans’ is closed to new replies.