Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Tubeless Help
  • ghislainlambert
    Free Member

Could all you tubeless experts help me out please?

I've just recently fitted (well attempted to) some Stan's Plus Four rim Strips onto a DT X470 (29er) rim. Along with some Bontrager Mud tyres.

Anyway, I can fit the tyre really easily onto the rim but it doesn't take any air because it's so loose on the rim.

Is this purely because I'm using 3 different manufacturers on the set up or am I not doing something I should be?

Thanks for your help

stuartie_c
    Free Member

You might need a CO2 cartridge to get the tyre inflated in the first instance. This will seat the bead and let you work the sealant around the inside of the tyre to make everything airtight.

Also work around the bead with some very concentrated washing up liquid solution to create lots of foamy suds which will help with the sealing and make sure you have the bead sitting right in the channel around the valve to give the best possible chance of inflation.

HTH

mboy
    Free Member

If the tyre is loose on the rim (strange as Bonty tyres and DT rims are known for being very tight usually!) then whip the rimstrip off, and put another rim tape on… A cloth Velox or similar tape. Then put the rimstrip back on, this will pack it out a bit and help when it comes to inflating the tyre.

A compressor can be your friend, but I've found there's no tyre I can inflate with my compressor that I can't with a trackpump. It's all about the right preparation, including working the tyre bead round the rim to make sure it's as good a seal as possible before you begin inflating, that makes the difference.

Seamus
    Free Member

As above. you could also try pushing the tyre in hard with your thumb at the center of the tread level with the air valve. Seems to force the air into the tyre cavity rather than straight out if the tyre is loose.

Bat1
    Free Member

I had a similar problem …Put the valve at the lowest point the gently push down on the tyre …the inflate with track pump "QUICKLY"

scaredypants

what's the inner profile of the rim like? DOes it have a deep central channel?

If so, then tyres are easy to get on & off cos you can generate lots of slack but for the same reason tubeless may not be easy. I reckon, with non-tubeless rims there might also be an increased risk of the tyre bead falling off the shelf of the rim & burping air (the shelves seem wider on tubeless rims to me)

Either do what they said & pump like buggery or fill the channel with something like draught excluder which might just help fitting and burping

xc-steve
    Free Member

I find, folding the tire inside out for a while helps, and having the tire/wheel elivated, should help. I put sealant in instead of suds and use a track pump, unscrew the grublet thingy out of the valve and it'll allow more air to get in.

Good luck… hang in there!

ghislainlambert
    Free Member

Thanks for all the advice. The rim profile isn't that deep. I've already tried a Compressor and a CO2 cartridge. There seems to be no real shelf for the bead of the tyre to sit on. I think I need to work on seating the bead with some soap suds.

Failing that get some more innertubes.

giantjason
    Free Member

Had trouble getting medusa LUST Tyres onto Mavic 819 rims. Took it to my LBS where 3 of us spent 15mins trying to get the tyre to inflate with a track pump…….impossible!

We eventually ended up using a CO2 cartridge to get it sealed!

ghislainlambert
    Free Member

Looking at it a minute ago the rim strip isn't flat. There's the little channel in the middle then it's at an angle almost up to the edge of the rim. I'm now wondering if the rim strip is too wide and needs to be trimmed down slightly. Would this be foolhardy?

ghislainlambert
    Free Member

ghislainlambert
    Free Member

I'm sat here with the scissors. Do I do it?

UK-FLATLANDER

I've had the sae problem with Mud-x's on 819's. I pulled the side walls out by hand, simulating inflation then pumped like crazy – eventually went on. I just can't see mud-x's being tight – least that's my experience.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless Help’ is closed to new replies.