Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Tube Strikes cost lives?
  • brakes
    Free Member

there was the usual tube strike bedlam on the ride home tonight through the city – traffic jams, people walking on the roads, scooters weaving all over the place, buses blocking junctions…
    …and a LOT of sirens, which made me wonder if there was an increase in accidents when the tube strikes are on?

project
    Free Member

But there will be more accidents and muggings if LT shut the booking ofices, and leave stations unmanned.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Nice one.

“Only last week Tube workers were commended by the inquest into the July 7 bombings for their selfless actions in rescuing victims, yet among them are the very grades that the mayor is now intent on cutting”

Obviously the fact that they are employed and at their post allows the staff to deal with all manner of safety issues.

This strike is about a dangerous and unnecessary plan to axe 800 safety critical station staff.

And yet you want to turn the tables by darkly suggesting that the RMT is killing people.

Well done, the Daily Mail would be proud of you for coming out with such union-bashing bollox. Maybe you could put that comment in a letter to them ……… I’m sure they’d love to publish it.

project
    Free Member

Let us not forget as ernie said above, Tube staff are safety trained on how to deal with escalator faults and accidents, electrical safety and station evecuation, boris wants all these functions to be done by the firemen or ambulance men who attend an emergency, wondrer if they know where the light switches are and all the emergency escape routes for every station in london.

But then the firemen are on strike so all that knowledge is now gone,when they are on strike.

brakes
    Free Member

stop goading Ernie, I’m not suggesting anything, I just made an observation about my journey home… and wondered whether some poor bugger had been knocked over or if an ambulance couldn’t get to someone because of the traffic caused by the strikes

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

But there will be more accidents and muggings if LT shut the booking ofices, and leave stations unmanned.

So, following that logic, there must be loads more accidents and muggings on the DLR, which is (largely) unmanned. Or maybe not….

project
    Free Member

DLR was designed with security in mind and watched over by cameras,hopefully.

the tube system wasnt an isnt,

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Eh? You’re saying the tube system isn’t watched over by cameras? Have you been on a tube platform recently? The tube has been designed to be safe, with or without the moronic, monosyllabic, unhelpful and sometimes blatantly rude idiots pretending to work on the platforms. There are many people working for TFL who do great work, many of the platform staff are not among them.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

….. an increase in accidents, or, just the increased traffic on the road causing an increase in impatient emergency service vehicles.

It probably did increase deaths today, but only as a result of increased response times.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

There are many people working for TFL who do great work, many of the platform staff are not among them.

Have you brought this up with TFL flashy? I’m sure they’d be absolutely delighted to hear your customer feedback. Save us the bother of listening to your constant bleating.

Just a thought, y’know…

(I know what you’re up to)

project
    Free Member

Perhaps the staff fell the same about you Captain F.

uplink
    Free Member

which made me wonder if there was an increase in accidents when the tube strikes are on?

There’s something like a suicide a week on the tube, so you’d need to deduct whatever that adds up to from any extra road deaths

just a thought 😉

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

brakes – Member

I’m not suggesting anything, I just made an observation about my journey home… and wondered whether……

Oh you were just ‘wondering’ were you ? And just ‘thought’ you would post your conjectures on STW did you ?

None of this has anything to do with the fact that you are a union-hating right-winger who is always scrapping the gutter looking for new, creative, and obscure ways, of vilifying trade unions then ?

But tell me brakes, as you were pontificating and conjecturing on your way home today, did it occur to you that gridlock traffic crawling along bumper to bumper is less likely to cause fatalities than traffic sailing through unimpeded at a steady 30mph ?

I was going to post a thread titled “Tube Strikes save lives?” but somehow never got round to it.

CaptainFlashheart – Member

So, following that logic, there must be loads more accidents and muggings on the DLR, which is (largely) unmanned. Or maybe not….

What a silly comment ! 😀

I have no idea how the DLR compares with the Tube in that relation and I’m surprised that you do Flash. But let’s use “logic” since you suggested it. Maybe a logical explanation, if it is indeed as you say, can be found in the sort of person who travels on the DLR.

For example, as a result of unnamed Tube stations many women might decide they will no longer travel unaccompanied late at night on the Tube, well-dressed business men with briefcases might decide to take a black cab rather than the Tube. This might actually lead to a drop in rapes and muggings. So, following that logic, unmanned stations might make the Tube safer !

I don’t know what the statistics are concerning manned/unmanned, But I am absolutely sure that an unmanned station isn’t “just as” safe as a manned one….it can’t be. And I am absolutely sure that the inquest into 7/7 last week wouldn’t have been able to commend the Tube workers who had been working on that day, if there had not been tube workers working on that day. Jew ear what I’m saying ?

brakes
    Free Member

ignoring your eye poking provocation

did it occur to you that gridlock traffic crawling along bumper to bumper is less likely to cause fatalities than traffic sailing through unimpeded at a steady 30mph ?

don’t think that’s true, not on my route where traffic rarely gets above 20mph on a good day – everyone’s pissed off because they can’t take their normal route home – pedestrians flood the streets, scooters and cyclists all trying to weave around the cars that are three abreast trying to squeeze infront of a bus which is blocking the whole crossroads on a red light
    recipe for disaster

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

So, following that logic, there must be loads more accidents and muggings on the DLR, which is (largely) unmanned. Or maybe not..

Typically Flashy talking shite as per usual. Each DLR train has a train operator to ensure safety and stuff. When was the last time you actually traveled on it? There are also uniformed transport police who routinely patrol the system, too. So shut up. I live 200 yards from a DLR station, and use it several times a week, so don’t give it the big ‘un.

the moronic, monosyllabic, unhelpful and sometimes blatantly rude idiots pretending to work on the platforms.

If I had to deal with a ponce like you, I’d spit in your face and throw you on the live rail. 😡

You’re not very helpful ever. You’d not last 5 minutes working on the Tube, ‘cos you’d mess yourself in sheer terror if a person with a strong regional or foreign accent asked you a question.

Maybe a logical explanation, if it is indeed as you say, can be found in the sort of person who travels on the DLR.

That’ll be scum like me then, Ernie. 🙂

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

LOL ! 😀

aracer
    Free Member

Only last week Tube workers were commended by the inquest into the July 7 bombings for their selfless actions in rescuing victims, yet among them are the very grades that the mayor is now intent on cutting

I’m curious, ernie – which grades could be cut which didn’t include people involved in rescuing people on 7/7? Is it possible to cut any staff without affecting safety?

I like the way it’s accepted as normal that cars run people over, so if more people get run over because the tube staff are on strike, it’s the tube staff’s fault.

theyEye
    Free Member

Every time ernie opens his mouth, I die a little inside.

LHS
    Free Member

He’s one angry little man.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Just a couple more paragraphs ernie…… you can do it!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Tube Strikes cost lives?’ is closed to new replies.