Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • truing stands
  • R.lepecha

best truing stand under £100 for wheel building and truing.

thanks

handyman153
    Free Member

I have got one of these – LINK

There actually pretty good, bit flexy at times, but as long as you use a QR skewer in the wheel when its in the tool, it works fine.
    The dishing tool is good as well, and for £85. I don't think you will get any better.

Josh..

Scootash
    Free Member

I've got a Tacx T3175 Exact Wheel Truing Stand:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=33904

Does the job perfectly, built about 6 wheels with it so far.

R.lepecha

i was looking at them,
    then i saw this which looks very simmilar, just cheaper and without the dishing tool.

link

barrykellett
    Free Member

I made the wheelpro one and have built 5 road wheels and 3 mountain bike wheels on it now, I cant believe I was looking at spending over £100 on a branded one.

Look at this one, its perfect, and is even easier to make than the wheelpro one but is the same essentially…
    http://www.gravity-slaves.co.uk/?a=412

Save your money, honestly, bought ones arent worth the spend unless you shell out for the top of the range park tool one, and then it might just be almost as good as the home made one

kamina
    Free Member

Which ones support qr and 20mm fronts, and qr, 10mm thru and 12mm rear axles?

R.lepecha

scootash
    i was reading about then and they have no way of setting it up for different size hubs right? and that all you have to do is bend the legs out to fit a different hub in(no pun intended)
    is this right cos then the wheel wouldnt be very centre if it did?

grimey
    Free Member

Which ones support qr and 20mm fronts, and qr, 10mm thru and 12mm rear axles?

AFAIK The Park TS2 is just about the only one that will do 15/20mm bolt thru. You'll need either the bolt thru adaptor kit or the extension kit. I've got the extension kit and it works perfectly on 20mm bolt thru.

kamina
    Free Member

How about the 12mm rear? Could that cause problems? 12×135 for what it's worth. 🙂

phatstanley
    Free Member

I built one from the wheelpro book.

I love it. Though it seemed pretty OCD even to me while making it.

Pix:

You can use problem solvers adapters for different sized hubs. Jenson USA do some of them. I have a hope 20mm, but still have the QR inserts. One side of the uprights is built on "sliders" for diff width hubs.

The white background makes it real easy to see the rim.

Great surface areas for sticker placement.

(cue cries of "Uber geek" now…)

stan.

R.lepecha

i cant see how these wooden stands can be so accurate.
    prefer a bought one?

gravity-slave
    Free Member

i cant see how these wooden stands can be so accurate.

As long as the hub doesn't move relative to your reference point, it works as well as any. My scaffold plank frame pictured above is stiffer than quite a few bought ones I've seen and I can get a wheel die straight on it.

I used mine to build wheels for mates who race World Cup level DH and the wheels held up to all they could throw at them.

If you think the stand is ghetto, you should see my dishing tool! (plank, block of wood on each end, screw through the middle)

Buying one is much easier though.

phatstanley
    Free Member

Buying one is much easier though.

tru dat.

but as most of us know, t'ain't always better…

my dishing tool is still made of cardboard…

i'm moving on up to plywood in the foreseeable future, though. :mrgreen:

R.lepecha

ok well I would still rather buy one because I don't have the time to build one. them minoura ones seem the best as they have similar propities as the park tools ts2 stands. like the radial truing pins move together so its dead centre. cheapest I've seen them is 85 quid, which isn't cheap though, its 50/50 between that tacx exact and the minoura, the tacx is way cheaper and probably does pretty much the same job, we'll they all do

julianwilson
    Free Member

As long as the hub doesn't move relative to your reference point, it works as well as any.

agreed. I'm a big fan of proper tools rather than bodges, but I've built a dozen or so wheels on my wooden one. As long as you can clamp the axle ends between the jaws ('hang' it in using a qr or even just a threaded rod and nuts and then clamp your qr/axle up a wee bit) then you can do all permutations of hub. I haven't needed to do a 150mm one yet but I've done 20mm front and 12x135mm rears on mine with no trouble, and I have the width adjustment to do anything between 100 and 150mm.

The other nice thing about wood is that if you 'ping' your spokes to even the tension on them, it's much much easier to hear them on a wooden stand than a metal one. Especially on a wooden table on a wooden floor!

A proper dishing tool is a lot easier to use than a made-up one though, especially for offset dishing on gnarly bikes (had to do this for mates' Cannondale Gemini and Giant DH team).

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘truing stands’ is closed to new replies.