Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Trigger shifter vs twist, views appreciated please !!
  • seadragon
    Free Member

Hi All,

I am sorry if this subject has been done to death but I would appreciate any opinions on trigger shifters vs twist.

I have a MTB with SRAM X9 trigger and I find it a faff, especially when my fingers are aching during a long ride, it’s hard to change up gears. I was thinking of XO twist as my mechs and chain set are all XO.

I have SRAM double tap trigger on my road bike and its awesome but am wondering if maybe X9 is maybe not as user-friendly.

Maybe I am the problem, just want to send out some feelers lol.

If I kept the trigger option could I use SRAM Double Tap or would those be only for road bikes, any reason why I cant use on my MTB?

Thanks in advance for the dim questions?

Northwind

How do you find it hard to shift- ergonomically (ie location of the lever) or is it that the lever’s stiff? X9 should be kind of clunky, but not hard to actually move the lever, if it is then most likely it’s the cable.

Trimix
    Free Member

If your fingers ache on a long ride you have other problems, not shifter problems.

Alter your bar/stem height/position. Alter your shifter position and brake lever position.

Next time you see lots of MTB’s (say at a trail ctr or race) check out how many have twist shifters. None or almost none.

This is most likey because twist shifters are shite. When its getting tech and you need a new gear moving your wrist/grip is not good. Tweaking a thumb/finger is easy.

If its not you need to change your setup.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    scaredypants

twisty shifters are fine. I prefer them for the front as you can trim the mech a bit (mind, I’m on 1×10 or ss currently)

you do till have to grip it to shift though, so if your hands hurt it might not be easier than triggers.

Why do your fingers get sore ? Lever angle might need looking at before you change shifters

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I have twist-shift on my Rohloff, and have never felt uncomfortable using it. 🙂

If its hard to change up gears with the X9, as mentioned, it could just be sticking cables. I thought Sram used more cable pull than shimano for this reason?
    Take the cables out, clean out with GT85 and see how it goes.

asterix
    Free Member

I am firmly in favour of trigger shifters – I had twist grip for a while, but they can be hard to use in really muddy conditions and the grips themselves wear out

rocketman
    Free Member

As above SRAM trigger shifters are err…positive but they shouldn’t be physically hard to move

Have got four different combos and they all feel pretty much the same – about the same kind of effort as you might use to move an empty coffee mug with your thumb or finger.

Have always been a big fan of full SP41 outers proppa fit & forget

seadragon
    Free Member

Ergonomically I think I have it sussed, it’s just hard to push the lever when I am going up the gears.

I never had any issues with my Double Taps, which is why I wanted to check and I don’t really want to change shifter types just for the sake of it. As mentioned above too it might be a cabling issue, so I will endure with it for now and see if things improve and if not I will get them sorted

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated.

nigelb001
    Free Member

Trigger shifters for me all the way. Last time I used twisties was Gripshifts about 15 years ago. Thought I’d try them but they only stayed on a couple of weeks, didn’t get on with them at all. Since then I have always used Shimano triggers as I don’t particularly like Sram either. XT on one bike, Deore on two others. Like others have said it could be mainenance, spacing and angle that you are having problems with. I see many people butting them up against the brake levers, for a few years now I have been spacing them away from the levers and have been much more comfortable as I have large hands. Also the angle I have them at suits me though my son doesn’t like the angle – everyone to his own, its a personal thing.

mintimperial

I run both. I’ve got X0 GripShifts on one bike, XTR triggers on another, even some ancient 8 speed GripShifts from the 90s that are still going strong on my old commuter. They’re all good in different ways.

They both have advantages and they both have disadvantages. Some people prefer one, some the other (and a small number of really awesome people are adaptable and like both 😉 ). I think a lot of the twist-shifter hate comes from people having used really cheap and nasty versions on starter bikes. As for reliability argument I’ve busted a couple of trigger shifters in crashes, but I’ve never yet killed a GripShift – and you can replace the grips, not that I’ve needed to yet.

Like others are saying, if you’re having trouble shifting I doubt that the type of shifter is the problem. If you just fancy a change, though, try Gripshift, you might like it.

therealhoops
    Free Member

+1 what mintimp said. I use XO Gripshift with an XO rear and SiS front. Love it.

Marge
    Free Member

I’ve also got different combinations (twist X0, XT, XTR, STI) but my favourites remain X0 twist.

The only reason I don’t have more is price because there’s always a deal around on XT….

seadragon
    Free Member

Great thanks, much appreciated.

I had X5 or something called like that twisters on my folding bike and really liked it, so easy to use without having to move my hands too much and for me would mean more concentration on the track rather than faffing about trying to find a trigger.

All views appreciated, I think for now I will stick with what I have and if I get annoyed I will try the twisties, thanks

duffle
    Free Member

Cheapest option as no doubt people will of mentioned is try new inner and outer cables on your current setup. It really does make a difference, you generally don’t notice it getting worst but when changed……
    I know this doesn’t help with your question but your fingers shouldn’t be hurting when changing gears

Trimix
    Free Member

Put some new cables in. Yours sound like they are rusted up and old. Fresh, oiled cables and clean outers with no kinks will sort hard shifting.

carlosg
    Free Member

I have a Gripshift on my DH bike and triggers on the XC ,I find they’re as easy as each other to use/get used to.

ThePinkster

Changing the cables may well help but if your fingers are hurting after a while when cycling it could be your grips or gloves (if you wear them of course) making things more difficult.

Do you have small hands? If so, try fitting some thinner grips as this may well reduce strain on your hands around the handlebars.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Trigger shifter vs twist, views appreciated please !!’ is closed to new replies.