Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Trek Fuel EX chainslap
  • RicB

I test rode a Fuel EX 8 at the weekend and was really impressed with it.

BUT the chainslap was unbelievable. Far worse than an Orange 5 or anything else I've ever ridden, even when I had it in big ring and big sprocket (not my chainset!).

Another customer in the shop said his was the same. Is this a common problem? Any workarounds?

Judging by how loud it was even inner tube wrapped round the chainstay wouldn't quieten it down :-/

luke.ellis
    Free Member

mine is noisy as hell. sometimes feel i have to slow down as the amount of noise sounds like i might break something.

marionheck
    Free Member

i have one and i just shortened the chain a bit, makes no more noise than other bikes now, but i know what you mean. it was noisy to start with.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    clubby

Had mine a few months now and never noticed it. The liquid I had a few years ago was pretty bad though until I wrapped the chainstay in neoprene. Maybe chain length is a factor?

Ticklinjock

My Remedy is pretty noisy.
    Tracked it down to the front mech.
    Took a link out of the chain and it improved a wee bit.
    Now when its rattling it doesnt bother me as I know its not the chain slapping the chainstay.

nuke

How can a frame cause chainslap? Got to be more drivetrain related.

Still, at least its a variation on the old 'How can a frame cause chainsuck?' question 😉

RicB

Well the chain was the same length as the one on the 5- rear mech vertical in middle and sprocket 3 (I think) so the frame must have something to do with it. 2010 demo bike so the mech spring can't be shot already

I guess it's all related to the position and shape of the driveside chainstay. Even the shop guys commented Trek Fuel EXs are noisy bikes

no chainsuck though 🙂

orena45

Can't say I've ever noticed chainslap on my EX8 and I've had mine for over two years!

Diane
    Free Member

Yes mine too

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Trek Fuel EX chainslap’ is closed to new replies.