Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Travel adjust forks wanted – any reason not to get Magura Thor's?
  • br
    Free Member

Looking for a pair of light travel adjust forks for my 456Ti, any reason not to buy a pair of Thor's for £400 from the On One sale?

br
    Free Member

Do I take it they are a bad idea, or have you all gone and bought them?

wwaswas

they're 2010 ones which are getting good reviews and at a really good price.

I would.

nickc

They're not really travel adjustable forks TBH, they go from 140mm to 100mm, but it's not a great system (hard to do on the fly, and the lever is a bit rubbish) but that's not necessarily a reason not to get them, they're a pretty good stiff long travel fork

br
    Free Member

Ok, obviously not read it properly – won't be the first (or last) time…

What I want are a pair of forks longer than my 120mm Reba's and lighter than my 150mm 36 Talas's – but still 20mm/maxle.

I only wanted travel adjust for climbing, so if they drop to 100mm that'll be fine and then run at 140mm the rest of the time. I like my 36's for this, running plenty of sag and only really using either long or short.

And the new RS revs are just too dear…

nickc

I understood what you meant, I was merely pointing out that Thors aren't the best "travel adjust" forks out there, but that they're no less a set because of that. I've a set of 09's that I've used the travel adjust maybe once in the 18 months or so that I've owned them. For climbing I just turn off the compression damping, it's easier.

br
    Free Member

nickc

Thanks, just making sure.

I've now found Revs at £500, would you pay the extra £100 over the Thor's for them – or am I better with the Thor's seeing as how I actually use 'travel-adjust' just for climbing?

Is the changing compression, something you can do on-the-fly?

billysan
    Free Member

nickc you are incorrect, Thors are infinately adjustable between 100-140mm. You open the FCR, push them by the amount you want to reduce the travel by, then close the FCR.

To be fair I never use it, just leave them at 140mm the whole time, I dont find the bikes climbing ability suffers as a result.

ChrisL

To clarify, you can get Thors to adjust their travel to somewhere between 100 and 140mm, but it's an inexact art. It's much easier to push the lever and squish the forks all the way down rather than trying to reduce the travel just a bit.

I have Thors on 2 bikes and I generally like them. One set started behaving a bit oddly on its last ride…

nickc

Thors are best for slinging down rocky fast chattery descents, everywhere else they're a bit of a compromise TBH, although they are good at techy climbing. If you set them up for what they do best (they are after all a twin braced 20mm bolt through 140mm AM fork) then forget all that "small bump compliance" shit that the mags go in for. Compression damping is easy to adjust, it's a knob on the top of the right leg. Thors can be made to work well for general XC, but at the sacrifice of performance, it's very much a "one thing or the other" fork

I have a suspicion that for "riding around in the woods in a big circle like most of us do" the Rev would be a more versatile fork.

Vortexracing

Just going through this same debate with myself for my Ventana X5.

i think I'm going for the rev team u turn.

both forks weigh the same, i'm not really bothered about the extra 10mm on the revs, the biggest selling point to me is that I have had both reba teams and Pushed Pikes. the damping on the Pushed forks is as good as the team blackbox damping. both are just fantastic, long Rocky drops (such as in the lakes etc) are no problems the bike just stays stable and controllable all regardless what I throw at it.

If I was to change to the Thors it would be an unknown in terms of damping, which is a risk I don't really want to take. although they do have good reviews.

The other major aspect is that all my RS forks have been very reliable and are easy to oil change.

although the revs are about £100 more it's a price I'm willing to pay for peace of mind.

plus they are black, if I bought the Thors then I would have to have my frame sprayed white as well 🙂

nickc

Chucky I agree, whilst I can get the Thors to perform where I want them in terms of damping in the kind of situation where you need them to be at their very best (ie flinging down a rough descent at 20mph+) and at that point I think Thors are amongst the very best forks, it does mean you give up some performance elsewhere. Depends on you priorities.

Luckily for me I needed white forks… 😉

Vortexracing

The push conversion on my Pikes gives you that performance when you really need it, however it does take away some of the small bump stuff.

The blackbox damping on the other hand seems to give you both.

nickc

I let some air out my front tyre, et viola, small bump compliance… 😀

I haven't tried blackbox RS forks, but heard nothing but good stuff about them.

boriselbrus
    Free Member

Nickc – is that with the '09's or '10's? I only ask as I'v just got some of the '10's and the small bump absorption is brilliant.

br
    Free Member

Thanks Guys!

Now I'm even more unsure of which to buy, but am still tempted by the Magura's – well I am a Yorkshireman, and £100 is £100.

I run tubeless, so yes, big volume tyres run at lower pressures do 'smooth' out the ride.

And since they are £399.99, thats 300 quid really, for the wifes' comsumption.

Oh god…

nickc

Mine are '09.

wwaswas

£399.99, thats 300 quid really, for the wifes' comsumption.

not just me that uses that approach then 😉

nuke

What about Fox Talas RLC with 15mmQR for £439….

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/fox-32-talas-rlc-forks-titanium-id56353.html

They're £550 on CRC but CRC may price match if you prefer to buy from them.

boriselbrus
    Free Member

The '10 Thors have much better small bump sensitivity than Talas. Much stiffer to.

nickc

The '10 Thors have much better small bump sensitivity

Can't help thinking that you've sort of missed the point about what Thors are for…You know? 140mm travel, 2 dirty great big braces, 20mm bolt thru hub, and you like the small bump sensitivity…hmmmmmm

Danger-Mouse
    Free Member

@ b r,

Just bought some the of the Magura Thors from On-One myself, not setup yet as its a WIP build, pics here (about half way down the thread): HERE

Very nice in the flesh, really like them. I was going for the 2010 Rock Shox Revelations but these, for me, were too good a price to miss out on & all the reviews seem really positive, even got a great write up in the FEB edition of the SingleTrack magazine.

One thing to note if you are going to run 203mm rotors on the front is that the PM fitting on these forks is a 7" one, not the usual 6", so you'll need the Magura QM26 PM adaptor, just ordered on from my LBS (a registered Magura dealer) for the princely sum of £14, they have to order it in from Germany, direct from Magura.

HTHs? 😀

br
    Free Member

Danger Mouse

Boy, they look good in the 'flesh' – bugger it, I'm off to buy some.

br
    Free Member

Danger Mouse – YGM

Vortexracing

bloody hell, those piccies have got me re-thinking my options again.

bugger!!!

Danger-Mouse
    Free Member

hee hee, nice aren't they 😀

@ b r, if that was you that emailed me, I have replied with the info you asked for 8) Did you buy them yet?

@ Chucky, sorry dude 😆

Have you all read the SingleTrack review, its on the Magura site when you click through to the Thor section (top RHS of the screen)

hilldodger
    Free Member

Doesn't that double arch act as a pretty good way to funnel crap down to sit nicely round the seals ?
    Didn't realise that until i saw your 'real life' pics and it's kind of putting me off them a bit…….

zbonty

I have a Ti456 (when it comes back mended!) with 09 Thors.

Great combo. Run at 140mm all time, having removed the travel adjust lever. Only wound down for big/tech climbs abroad. Had an original Thor but the newer ones are slightly improved and super pimpy with new white crown.

£399 is flippin good price I reckon

Schweiz
    Free Member

One thing to note if you are going to run 203mm rotors on the front is that the PM fitting on these forks is a 7" one, not the usual 6", so you'll need the Magura QM26 PM adaptor, just ordered on from my LBS (a registered Magura dealer) for the princely sum of £14, they have to order it in from Germany, direct from Magura.

If anyone else needs one of thes QM26 adaptors, let me know. I have an unused one that you can have for a tenner.

Danger-Mouse
    Free Member

Schweiz,

I replied to your advert yesterday but havent had a reply so I ordered the QM26 from my LBS instead! Doh 😥

br
    Free Member

Schweiz

I'll have it, please email me.

nickc

Doesn't that double arch act as a pretty good way to funnel crap down to sit nicely round the seals ?

Yes, it does. But it hasn't made any difference to the internals of mine, still spotless after a year of riding in all conditions.

hilldodger
    Free Member

still spotless after a year of riding in all conditions.

🙂

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Travel adjust forks wanted – any reason not to get Magura Thor's?’ is closed to new replies.