Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Transit Vans with rear roller door
  • mrnmissespanda

We are looking at getting a LWB transit for various family bike transporting duties etc. Looking on auto-trader, have found one that has a rear roller door. Are there disadvantages of these? Are they less secure, or draftier etc?

Cheers

Panda

jackthedog
    Free Member

Noisier (rattly) and draftier I would have though. If there's a bulkhead between cab and rear it might not be so much an issue?

tron
    Free Member

If it's got a roller back door then it's very likely to be a luton van (ie, cab with a big box on the back).

That'll mean quite a hit on fuel consumption, more load carrying space, and quite different mechanicals to a standard van (the heavier duty transits are RWD, the lighter duty ones are FWD).

If it's not a luton (I've seen it done), then the opening will be pretty small and there's potential for bodgery if it's not been done well.

Roller doors as a rule are generally more secure.

mc
    Free Member

Less reliable. Roller doors are quite frankly a pain, and less secure.

Plus roller door conversions were not a standard ford option AFAIK, so it'll of been added by a bodybuilder.

Only transits I've ever seen with roller doors were Royal Mail ones.

skidartist
    Free Member

Less convenient and reliable than regular doors, and probably hatefully noisy. Practicality wise you are left with a lower and narrower opening than the regular doors would give you, the roller mechanism means you loose nearly a foot off the top of the door opening and the mechanism intrudes into the load area as well, as the door either rolls up into a cylinder or runs along the ceiling. Either way a lot of clutter, and the runners are pretty dirty and greasy too

Can't imagine them being less secure, as long as there is a decent latch then they are as secure as the padlock you put on it. The handle will probably be lockable, but it will be a pretty feeble lock and the handle mechanisms on roller shutters are usually pretty awful. On the hire vans I use I don't ever expect the handle and lock to actually work. Also if you have loose items, or if the van is well packed then its easy for stuff to snag and jam the door mechanism, preventing you from being able to get the roller up. The shutters are also pretty easily damaged if anything does shift about

Is it ex-post office? they are pretty much the only people I've seen put roller shutters on the back of panel vans and I've never been able to suss out why they do it.

mrnmissespanda

Apparently its ex MOD. The idea was to have seats in the back aswell, so sounds like a no go…

Cheers

Panda

skidartist
    Free Member

The world is awash with second hand transits, so leave it be. Unless its already fitted out with other things you want (rear windows and properly fitted seats) that are rare to find ready fitted then the roller shutter isn't worth putting up with

konabunny
    Free Member

Is it ex-post office? they are pretty much the only people I've seen put roller shutters on the back of panel vans and I've never been able to suss out why they do it.

So they can back up to a loading dock?

(Just guessing)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Transit Vans with rear roller door’ is closed to new replies.