• This topic has 8 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by MSP.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Trans-Pyrenees or Trans-Alps
  • deep_river
    Free Member

I have just been given a pass by the missus to live out one of my life ticks.

Next year I am planning a major (ish) solo ride, the med – atlantic across the pyrenees. I have always wanted to do this, however the full length of alps are also appealling . Anyone got any recommendations?

I have about 10 days, so may have to put some road stretches in!

Anyone know of any decent guides to the full routes (mtb biased rather than road).

Cheers

ash

Do the GR5, North to South through all the French alps from Lake Geneva to Nice. Did it in 2002 and it changed my life forever.

deep_river
    Free Member

Nice one, cheers, I never really looked at the sort of major walking routes as an option. I will investigate more!

olaf_hansen
    Free Member

Have a look here

I’ve done the Chemins du Soleil in the Prealpes a couple of times and the riding’s epic. You’ll get 10 days point to point riding out of it, of which you’ll spend a fair proportion on singletrack. It’s not the gnarly type – it’s the ribbons type. Also, the route’s signposted, and it’s downloadable on GPS so you’re not entirely dependent on signs.

some pics

Ash’s GR5 suggestion is a good one, but the riding’s going to be gnarly, and you’ll be carrying stuff. Interested to hear how much pushing is involved with this Ash.

If Germany/Austria/South Tyroll is your bag, you might want to take a look at Uli Stanciu’s Transalp book.

Transalp

That’s probably enough to get you going for the moment, and let me know if you need more info.

deep_river
    Free Member

Cheers Olaf, just looked at your pics, and it looks vvverryyy nice!

Stoner
    Free Member

I prefer the variety of the pyrenean landscape by bike.

BVut my two “pink slip” trips are going to be: walking the length of Norway and walking GR5.

10 days? Id ask for longer 🙂

deep_river
    Free Member

Haha, if only! I’m happy to be allowed 10 days! she has hinted that she would’nt mind a holiday in the next year or two where we follow the tour around France!

One step at a time eh!

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Looks good

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Trans-Pyrenees or Trans-Alps’ is closed to new replies.