Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Trans Cambrian Way in a (long) day
  • gasyz
    Free Member

After reading about various super human attempts of the TCW as an ITT,I thought I’d give it a bash.Having previously done all 3 days of the route in separate stages I had a vague idea how tough it would be.To cut a long story short it was f—ing tough.Bad weather,lost a few times and some tracks blocked by recent logging.I managed to get to the Finnish in one piece with a ride time of 12hr35min and total time 14:22.Exhausted and happy,what a great day.

Clink

Well done! 😀 I did it a few weeks ago with a total time of 14hrs. It is tough, but worth it!

large418
    Free Member

Well done, it’s a cracking ride in the wilds of Wales. I saw 1 person the whole day when I did it.

Cheezpleez

Good effort.

chrispo
    Free Member

Well done!

Was it you we met by the Claerwen track late morning? You looked pretty fresh! The two of us were on our own 12-hour epic (only 84 miles though!).

I was hoping to have a crack at the TCW myself this summer but weather and light aren’t going to be on my side if I don’t get on with it!

gasyz
    Free Member

Yep that was me getting a little bit lost again.I was more than fresh when that rain came in the afternoon,I presume u got caught in that thunder storm aswell.You 2 where the only other bikes I saw all day.Hope u had a good ride.

bikeneil
    Free Member

Is there anywhere online that publishes the route? I’d really like to have a bash at this.

gasyz
    Free Member

Yep. Imba.org.UK
    Have got maps in various formats.
    Do a google search aswell for usefull write ups from other people that have done it.

Clink

I’ve got route in 3 sections if anyone needs it (thanks to a pal).

chrispo
    Free Member

Gasyz either you were unlucky or we were lucky, but we never got a soaking, no thunder, but unlike you we headed south from the Teifi Pools down to the Doethie.

I imagine you had fun finding the path in the Hafod Forest where the forestry have been working. I was there a couple of weeks ago and it was like, here are five obvious tracks, don’t take any of them!

gasyz
    Free Member

Yep seemed to take forever getting through Hafod forest.I wasn’t a happy bunny.

gasyz
    Free Member

Chrispo. Don’t suppose you’ve got a gpx or mmo of your route to Doethie?

chrispo
    Free Member

Gary – Strava is here – is that enough?
    You might well have done most of it before – drop down to Strata Florida then the Tywi Track with all the fords. From there we went to the Doethie by road because my guidee was knackered, it was getting late and we had to hit 130km so he could claim his sponsorship money! The alternatives would be up the Devil’s Staircase and then south through the forest, with a couple of options to drop down to the road, or take the bridleway by the river past the youth hostel but I’ve never tried that so don’t know if it is rideable.
    If you’re planning another ride down this way and want some company, get in touch!

gasyz
    Free Member

Thanx very much.I’ve managed to convert your strava to MMO.Looks a good route I’ll try it sometime.I’ve done a few Red Kite Events down that way but never been to Doethie,so it’s on my to do list.Cheers Gary

singletracksurfer

The bridleway past the yha isn’t rideable (well most of its not).

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Trans Cambrian Way in a (long) day’ is closed to new replies.