Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Training with extra weight (trailer)
  • joemarshall
    Free Member

I’ve been doing most of my riding with 25-30kg of trailer plus kid and associated junk recently. In quite a hilly area (Derbyshire – eg.ride I just did to the local swimming pool was 20km with 450m of ascent).

From a training point of view, is this riding going to be more or less useful than normal riding? Obviously i’ll get big leg muscles pulling all this weight, and it makes my road bike feel like it weighs nothing, but other than that I wonder if there’s any training argument for or against loaded training? Anyone have any idea?

Ps. Trailer is a croozer, and it is brilliant, daughter (8 month old) appears to find it pretty comfy, spends most of her time in it asleep.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Dunno, I imagine if you go out and ride as hard as you can without a trailer then it will be just as good as with the trailer, you’ll just end up going faster?

joemarshall
    Free Member

But what about hills? There are no half hour hill climbs near me on the normal bike, whereas on the trailer there are loads. I reckon once you’re in a proper hilly area, you can’t just train at constant intensity always. The trailer isn’t much slower down hill either, which further confuses matters.
    Intensity isn’t everything surely either, or else no one would train onhills, they’d just push big gears on the flat?

joemarshall
    Free Member

But what about hills? There are no half hour hill climbs near me on the normal bike, whereas on the trailer there are loads. I reckon once you’re in a proper hilly area, you can’t just train at constant intensity always. The trailer isn’t much slower down hill either, which further confuses matters.
    Intensity isn’t everything surely either, or else no one would train onhills, they’d just push big gears on the flat?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Training with extra weight (trailer)’ is closed to new replies.